1:32 Tornado GR1, operation desert storm.

viperfixer

Well, got the first bits painted with desert sand color, Humbrol 250. The weapon pylons and the outside of the canopy are done. Also got paint on the horizontals, but they don't have weathering and final coats on yet, will do that together with the rest of the plane.

This is the part were I still have to learn the most, airbrushing, weathering, basically making a realistic paint job. But that's the hardest part of the whole thing I guess. But it's getting better all the time and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Used some black MIG pigment  over the base paint on the access doors and panels to simulate dirt from the hands of the ground crew and a light aluminium dry-brush, put a coat of future on and applied a wash and put some H250 on some areas again to make some in-field paint touch-ups, and a final coat of Tamiya.

So, this is how it turned out:

6quw.jpg

dhki.jpg

n66r.jpg

8lxf.jpg

9fxm.jpg

7rvi.jpg

More soon hopefully!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, almost a month ago since my last update! But that doesn't mean I didn't do anything. Got the base paint on, pretty hard to photograph though. Especially for the pre-shade which isn't very visible, but it's there. It wasn't suppose to be too visible so I'm happy with it, don't want it to dominate the model. Now I have to see what can be done regarding weathering. and some detail painting to do like some black and metal areas. 

Also started working on the sidewinders and bombs, lot of work to put all these PE parts together. No pics of that yet. And as you can see constructed and primed the main landing gear. Gear doors are also painted. Doesn't sound like much, but it took a lot of time.

mv6z.jpg

o1ml.jpg

o8fo.jpg

xqlf.JPG

v4vh.jpg

fb1r.jpg

uyze.jpg

gftr.jpg

That's it for now, thanks for watching!

The Flightpath bits have certainly helped. Love the afterburner cans! Just one query regarding the 'Hindenburger' tanks. its not too clear on the pic's but are the fins facing the right way? The fins are strange on these tanks in that the way they look like they should fit is wrong! If that makes sense!

Thanks a lot for the nice compliments, guys!

The Flightpath bits have certainly helped. Love the afterburner cans! Just one query regarding the 'Hindenburger' tanks. its not too clear on the pic's but are the fins facing the right way? The fins are strange on these tanks in that the way they look like they should fit is wrong! If that makes sense!

I know what you mean. I found an old pic I took of the tank and here you can see they face the right way. Also found a reference pic of a real one. Looking at that I think I only should have put them further forward, but I used the locating holes that were already there. I will just leave it like this.

3bcd.jpg

7a7.JPG

You are fixing this Tornado pretty good Viperfixer. Only thing I see is that doesn't look right to me is those intake covers, but I'm sure you'll pull it all together. ;)

Thanks! I've been experimenting with making these covers and made 3 or 4 different versions this far. The one in the last few pictures is the latest one. Could you tell me what is not correct? Maybe I will make another pair then that is better. There's a lot more inaccuracies here because I'm focusing more  on improving my skills then making everything as correct as possible, but if it's not too much trouble to make something more accurate I will do it. So any tip is welcome!

Edited by viperfixer

Thanks a lot for the nice compliments, guys!

I know what you mean. I found an old pic I took of the tank and here you can see they face the right way. Also found a reference pic of a real one. Looking at that I think I only should have put them further forward, but I used the locating holes that were already there. I will just leave it like this.

3bcd.jpg

7a7.JPG

Thats looking good...I've just seen a few models where the fins were put on back to front....

I have a GR1 boxing in the stash, and that has the 'Hindenburgers' included  - I hadn't planned on buying the Flightpath set, but I think its worth the outlay....I may have a pair of Paragon seats somewhere too.....yes, I think I may start this soon...

Thanks for the inspiration!!!