1/32nd scale racers and sports 'planes

GuildAero

Hi all,

I have just joined up here as I am planning a range of sports and racing a.c in vac-form kit style with w/m parts. This is very much a part time effort to use the machines my son has built. Initially I had decided to go with 1/48th scale, but what limited interest this has occasioned and my son's own views have convinced me that for these usually small a/c, perhaps 1/32nd scale is the way to go.

First will be a Supermarine S5 Schneider Trophy racer. Unless, Mr. Simons decides to do one in his Aerotech range. This is my only worry. I have no wish to duplicate, even with the "other one" being high spec. resin at a high price. My idea is to keep prices down. Hence my original scheme to do 1/48th. Plastic sheet is not as cheap as it used to be!

I have already started masters for a Waco ZQC-6 in 1/48th, so I suppose I might as well continue with that. And my intended experimental a/c will also be in 1/48th starting with the FD2. I realise they are not within the emit of this forum, but it does complete the picture for everyone who may be interested.

The question is, if not the S5, what would be your choice of sport/racing/aerobatic a/c? Any response will help me decide which way we go.

I have excellent Harry Robinson drawings for the original Mew Gull as opposed to the rather mucked about Henshaw kite that Aerotech do.

I will also not be restricting the issue to some arbitrary number. I'll be glad to sell any!!

Cheers,

Martin

Hi Martin,

Welcome aboard!

:post1:

Glad you could make it. Hopefully some of our guys will be along shortly with a bucketful of suggestions. I really like your vac idea to help keep prices down. There's been a great deal of interest in vac kits on here lately, and we're planning a vac & resin group build for a mid-year start (too early for you to have anything out I realise!).

For me personally, I don't mind a bit of duplication if it involves access to a better (more accurate) product at cheaper prices. I'd love an affordable S-6B, DH-88 Comet or any of the Macchi float racers. An accurate Laird Turner Meteor kit to relegate the old Lindberg kit would be nice (there's a couple of recent articles on our website about this particular kit, including one today from Rodney Williams).

Kev

Hi Kev,

thanks for the welcome.

Interesting views there about possible duplication. I suppose one can't regard two totally disparate media to be duplication, so perhaps an S6B would indeed be useful. Certainly easier to research! Although, armed as I am with Pegram's superb new book on the Schneider a/c, research has nearly all been done for me!

Thinking of what I can reach to measure and sketch, there's a Chipmunk, Tiger Moth and a Hornet Moth at my old flying group amongst others and I'm sure there are others reasonably close to me in Norfolk. Fuel costs are a big consideration these days.

I look forward to the coming deluge :coolio:

Martin

Thinking of what I can reach to measure and sketch, there's a Chipmunk, Tiger Moth and a Hornet Moth at my old flying group amongst others and I'm sure there are others reasonably close to me in Norfolk.

I'd be down for a Chipmunk for sure! If I remember correctly though, I think Tigger may already be working on one (can anyone confirm?). There's a mainstream Tiger Moth kit already floating around (Matchbox/Revell) which is a bit basic, though I can't vouch for its accuracy. Not sure anything less than a Wingnut Wings version would be considered a worthwhile alternative though.

Kev

Hello Martin,

Welcome here ! I have followed your questioning on other forums (and I believe you are the Martin I've just PMed with via BM). Glad you have come to the 'right scale' in the end. :goodjob:

All joking about what is the right scale apart, I believe that 1/32 is right for racers and sports planes, if only because Williams, and Aerotech, and others have established it as the reference scale. Besides, the size of the 1:1 originals make them manageable still in 1/32 (knowing that a new barrier has been broken with HK's B-17).

I'd love a Chipmunk or a S-5 (do not worry that much about Aerotech: their release list has been on-going for a long time, but their actual releases are few and long-time apart) or a Macchi M-67, or a Ryan NYP, or some of the Golden Age sportsplanes, Lockheeds, Stinsons, Wacos, etc...And do not forget a Mystery ship or a Mr Mulligan, or some Caudrons, or ... or ....

Ok, I'll stop here, but you see the drift. I am in for some of your products in this league. Considering my actual leisure modelling time, it will probably just grow the stash, but I will be in nevertheless, as I am a firm believer that I will live long enough to clear the stash (and see the 4th Millenium at the current rate :D )

Hubert.

Well, the problem for me is that I will not model anything under 1/32 scale.

I will be happy to buy any racer plane in 1/32 scale vacuform, especially the ones on floats.

But 1/48, no way. :angry2:

Large scale planes is mostly concerned with model aircraft starting at 1/32 and goes up from there to 1/28, 1/24, etc.

Which is why I am a member of this forum.

I cannot speak for the other guys but I will not touch anything under 1/32 scale.

Stephen

Which is why, Stephen, we've decided to go for 1/32nd scale for sports and racers. But Schneider 'planes are mostly done in 1/48th, so I wondered if my kits might be better received by those fans. It's a difficult decision. My current thinking, though, is it's better to feed an embryonic market that is not yet that well served...ie, 1/32nd.

Hubert, I think we are already getting an idea of our joint likes where aircraft are concerned! And I ten to agree with you about the Aerotechs and Fishers. Those prices are twice or more what I anticipate charging. This isn't any big business scheme, just a joint effort between me and my older son to help him make a few quid beyond his dull day job. Then he can afford to bring our other three grandchildren to see us more often!

Kev, who is Tigger? If people want to pay WNW prices, that's their decision, but I don't anticipate hitting their market. There won't be any "old crocks" as I really can't get into WW1 stuff. I start with the 20s at the earliest and nobody would expect a vac-form kit to be like a WNW. They have heir own appeal and i see any vac-form as a kind of "scratch assist" model for the more adventurous modelmaker, but still having accurate outlines and possible detail.

Thanks for the responses gents. I hope we can promote civil aircraft more between us all and sports 'planes in particular.

Cheers,

Martin

Kev, who is Tigger?

John Wilkes, who owns/runs Tigger Models. A few years back John bought most of the old I.D. Models masters and now sells those kits under his own brand. He's also developed a small number of kits from scratch. In the following post he mentions there being a 1/32 Chipmunk in the works:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=41558&do=findComment&comment=414656

Kev

I'd be in for Pitts Special S-2B and Super Chipmunk kits in 1/32.

Someone did a vac kit of the Pitts S-1C a long time ago, and Airshow Models did a few different Pitts S-2 versions in resin, but all of those are nearly impossible to find now. Airshow was supposed to put out the Super Chipmunk, but that operation vanished before it happened.

D

Welcome to LSP Martin!

I have a real love for air racers. Im more on the Reno/Unlimited side of things but still love a lot of the civi racers no matter the era. I agree wtih the others on at least 1 thing..........1/48th is just too bloody small for these types of planes.

Are you planning on any modern Unlimited or other class Reno style racers? I know the German company XS has put out a few..........and I have their Pond racer, but things are not as up to par as Id like in the quality dept. I have Paul Fishers Red Baron, and have built his Sept Fury Sea Fury and they are great kits...........just hoping for some other style things like acrobatic types like Extra series or Ultimate Bipe..........really anything unusual in the acrobatic or air race types.

Edited by Out2gtcha

D,

having done aerobatics in a Pitts Special, that is a definite one for the projected list.

Brian, I would like to do something in the Unlimited class, but most seem to have been covered by the existing kit makers.

Though I am probably wrong there as I'm still learning about what is available in the big scale.

A Chipmunk followed by the Super 'Munk would be great for me as I've flown Chipmunks many times and can get to a real one to measure it up.

I wouldn't wish to duplicate with Tigger Models though. I note he says his models are made over male patterns whereas mine would all be made into female patterns, so would have external detail, which would work so much better in 1/32nd scale. I also will supply good white- metal parts, being an old brass basher most of my life!

Perhaps a courtesy call to John Wilkes would be an idea to see how we could complement each other rather than damage each other's limited markets.

Cheers,

Martin

IN the USA we have Combat Models making a large line of vacuform kits in 1/32 scale.

Their web site is http://combatmodels.us

Perhaps you should check to see what they have to make sure that there is no duplication. He also has an extensive line in 1/48 and many in 1/72 scales.

I appreciate your starting in 1/32 scale and I hope the number of sales in this scale will justify your efforts and expenses in it.

Stephen

Stephen, that's a very impressive list!. Fortunately there aren't any a/c in the list that I'd considered, although one or two that I wouldn't mind, like the Sea Fury! Very reasonable prices too.

Thanks for the heads-up on that company. A pity their gallery doesn't work and there are no pictures of any of the kits.

Cheers,

Martin

Hi and Welcome Martin,

I too like Racers and sport planes along with general aviation. Any of the early Cessna's would be great. Any of the Formula One class racers from reno. A Extra 300, MX-3 would be awesome.

Mark

I'm fine with kits in 1/48. I build whatever appeals to me, no matter the scale. I think race-planes of any kind are vastly underserved in the model world, so I would welcome those kits. The Schneider racers would be great, but the Macchi racers I know I would want.

Welcome to LSP, I hope you enjoy it.

Matt :party0023: