Hobby Boss 1/32 P-61 first impressions

Puncher 75

Thanks for the info, ken! Thats' certainly good news....

Have been following the threads on this kit....will use the brass rod technique to strengthen the wings, along with the top outter wing glueing tip as well........

Getting two of them next week....one SWP & one ETO....TD chutes & wheels also....hoping Eduard will knock out the canopy masks & G-Factor the gear legs....

Cheers,

Jim

From the sprue shots I have seen of the A-6 (assuming they are for the A-6A release) it looks like they have a non composite folding wing setup so I think they may have at least got the wing correct. Who knows for sure till the kit is released but I am praying to the modelling gods that Trumpy had their A team doing the kit (and again the sprues look hopeful.) An A-6 in this scale is one of my "holy grails" and I am hugely excited that one is being released.

Concerning the P-61, it is baffling that they got things wrong yet again, but if the only thing that needs to be done to make a good A version is to slice a bit of the nose then I am pretty happy as that seems an easy mod to make. Sure beats the A-7 where the whole front end, canopy, etc. is hosed and needs major resin to make look right (just IMHO anyway)

That's good news on the A-6 wings. With their recent releases I think Trumpeter fired their B team. The A-6 is also my "holy grail" as I have close to 900 hours in the A-6 Echo and have waited a long time for this kit ever since they announced it. I can agree on the A-7 as I have travelled down that road and currently the one I have on the bench I'm backdating to the A-7A as I thought that being so hosed I might as well backdate it also. The Zacto resin pieces are a must for this kit.

You are correct with the P-61 kit. Slice the scale 8" off the fuselage and fill in the pylon attachment points and you have the P-61A. Not difficult IMHO.

Cheers,

Ken

Ive started this kit. It really is great , but then again , A; I only bought it because i fancied something different , and B; I know little to nothing on the Black Widow. There really is alot of detail in the cockpit and the rear radio / gunner position is even better. My only gripe so far are the seatbelts. There are only lapstraps and they look like 1/48 scale ones! The fact that it inludes metal legs and the noseweight for me is a bonus.

I would like to add some extra wiring etc but there doesnt seem to much on the net

That's good news on the A-6 wings. With their recent releases I think Trumpeter fired their B team. The A-6 is also my "holy grail" as I have close to 900 hours in the A-6 Echo and have waited a long time for this kit ever since they announced it. I can agree on the A-7 as I have travelled down that road and currently the one I have on the bench I'm backdating to the A-7A as I thought that being so hosed I might as well backdate it also. The Zacto resin pieces are a must for this kit.

You are correct with the P-61 kit. Slice the scale 8" off the fuselage and fill in the pylon attachment points and you have the P-61A. Not difficult IMHO.

Cheers,

Ken

Ken,

Interested to know how you are backdating the A-7E, as I'm thinking of doing that to get a VA-215 Barn Owls A-7B. (Airdoc do great decals for that). Have two of the Zacto full deal correction sets, but was wondering if there's any kind of conversion set out there?

Also eagerly awaiting the Trumpeter A-6A and I agree with Petrov: the wing fold looks like the metal wing version.

Did you ever utilise the SUU-40 or -44 flare pod to drop sonobuoys? Am trying to find out which pod was used by VA-75 back in 1971 ( in conjunction with AGM-78s as passive sensors. They helped pioneer the CV concept just prior to the S-3A entering service. Way before your time on them, no doubt, but you may know something of the A-6B Iron Hand version being used experimentally for ASW).

Tony T

Ken,

Interested to know how you are backdating the A-7E, as I'm thinking of doing that to get a VA-215 Barn Owls A-7B. (Airdoc do great decals for that). Have two of the Zacto full deal correction sets, but was wondering if there's any kind of conversion set out there?

Also eagerly awaiting the Trumpeter A-6A and I agree with Petrov: the wing fold looks like the metal wing version.

Did you ever utilise the SUU-40 or -44 flare pod to drop sonobuoys? Am trying to find out which pod was used by VA-75 back in 1971 ( in conjunction with AGM-78s as passive sensors. They helped pioneer the CV concept just prior to the S-3A entering service. Way before your time on them, no doubt, but you may know something of the A-6B Iron Hand version being used experimentally for ASW).

Tony T

Hi Tony, I am backdating the A-7E to an A-7A and will be completing it as a VA- 153 Blue Tail Flies mount with customs decals/masks. I am using the old cutting edge A-7A set in 48 scale as a guide and two spare Trumpeter fuselage pieces that I picked up from a partially built kit. I have cut into the two sections where the 20mm gun blast tubes exit the fuselage are and have dropped in a small section of brass tube cut in halves which I am now working into shape with putty. I could not think of a better way to do this. The lower Vulcan cannon fairing has been filled and contoured with the rest of the fuselage. I still have to fill in the cockpit entry steps and once that is completed fill and scribe new panel lines to reflect the A-7A and make a new foot stirrup that slides out.

As to your other questions: Yes long before my time in A-6's.I never dropped Sonar buoys. Everything I dropped went bang in one way or another. The hoovers had been in service for years when I was on the boat. I did read briefly of the A-6 being used for the ASW role but it was basic info only stating that it was evaluated. We were focused only on our capabilities/mission at that time as you would expect. I will ask around but I doubt that I would know of anyone that goes that far back with the Punchers. Still you never know, maybe someone is a history buff from the old squadron. I will ask.

Cheers,

Ken

Thanks Ken.

Sounds like a good system for the cannon ports. The bump under the f/lage fwd of the airbrake needs removing, and the resultant hole filled in withe navigation light reinstated. The bit I'm chicken about doing is the cockpit main IP, but maybe the Eduard item can be tweaked.

Thanks for following-up the A-6 sonobuoy story. I know that VA-75 A-6Bs dropped sonobuoys and used their electromagnetic receivers (including the AGM-78 STARM seeker) to help acquire and track targets, which could then be 'attacked' by A-6As carrying other ordnance. It helped prove the CV Carrier concept and paved the way for the Hoover. I'm thinking of this as a possible subject for the Trumpeter kit, though the markings would most likely mean a DIY or bespoke set of masks,

Cheers

Tony T

Just so ready for the Widow to arrive in the US....!

Finished the ZM Skyraider & dio....cleaned workbench....cleaned display cases....not even starting

anything else...waiting for the P-61....

Soon grasshopper....soon....

Jim

You're right, Peter......but patience certainly isn't my forte'....:(

It does indeed feel strange to not have something on the bench....

Do have a couple of decal sheets for them, as well as the Eduard/Brassin wheels (B-25)......along with the Widow kits, in the same order, have the TD chutes & wheels....that should launch the build nicely while waiting for canopy masks & whatever else AM is released for it...

Happy modeling,

Jim

Will wonders never cease. Just purchased the HK B-25 Bomber and come to find out there is a new 1/32 P-61 kit out too!

One thing I ran across a short while ago was a site where they are restoring a P-61B to airworthy. It is a very in depth photo site and the plane is a ways along. Much the same detail of photos and reference as the Norwegian Museum Ju88 restoration or the restoration of the B-17G at Duxford.

Here is the link to the site: http://www.maam.org/p61.html

It is the Mid America Air Museum site and well worth looking if you are into the P-61

While I am at it just for everyone's reference (since the HK B-17G is due out very soon) there is a thread on the Warbird Information Exchange forum where the Duxford museum in Britain disassembled, removed, rebuilt, repaired and reassembled the B-17G that was on display. This thread is the best walk around photo source I have ever seen! There are several hundred photos of every nook, cranny, and detail you probably ever wanted to see on that plane, and many you never knew about.

Here is the link to the thread on the B-17 resto: Warbird Information Exchange Duxford B-17 Restoration

Enjoy!

Have we really jacked this P-61 thread to talk about the A-7 and A-6? ;)

Apologies for any offence caused, but the digression originated with Puncher 75 who started the whole thread. However, I will confine any further comments on the A-6A/E to the inevitable threads following the release of those kits later this year, and will accept that references to 'A-6' will doubtless stir up a nest of Luftwaffe fans thinking it's time to talk about a sub variant of some WW2 German prop.

It seems the Trumpy P-61B is not a B but as that has the most interesting markings (from my perspective), what chance is there of the correct gear doors and nose being produced? I can envisage umpteen detail sets but does anyone have the B necessaries lined-up?

Tony T

Was looking online for some good reference mat for the BW and found this recovery and reconstruction of a P-61. Some decent reference and a cool story. Now these guys are skilled!

http://www.maam.org/p61.html HTH.

Paul

As I am a Black Widow novice could anyone recommend a good book that has plenty of internal detail.
I've seen a few but can't find any decent reviews.