Hobby Boss 1/32 P-61 first impressions

Puncher 75

Found another picture of Barnes' P-61a.

I think I will do this scheme for a couple of reasons.

A) As the radome is painted white it would save me having to foil the round front.

B) The ferry tank is not fitted which would save having to scratch build it.

P-61-42-5531-1_zps2b6fdfd5.jpg

A) As the radome is painted white it would save me having to foil the round front.

I know Derek has a lot of pics of Barnes theater command ship, but IIRC, the raydome was not white, but a one off natual metal affair:

P-61A-42-5531-MGEN-Earl-W-Barnes-13th-Fi

HI steve,

Nice choice :speak_cool:

You are correct about the turret ferry tank having been removed from this aircraft (if you look at the photographs that Brian has posted, you will notice that this is the same aircraft during two pahses of it's career - your photograph shows it in it's later life after overhaul).

Be aware that this is not the early P-61A nose radome in your in-flight photograph (that is the plated over version in the ground photograph), but the later production one (painted gloss white), so you will still have to sand and fill most of the detail on the HB kit radome to represent this. You will also need to make the DF antenna fairing as seen on top of the fuselage.

HTH

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Ok Derek. Try this one. :)

In the above picture are the engine cowlings white or just very shiney?

And by the way Brian I will be trying your method for foiling. I have used BMF in the past so I am hoping for good results with ordinary foil. Although the curves are going to be interesting. :)

Steve

Ok Derek. Try this one. :)

In the above picture are the engine cowlings white or just very shiney?

And by the way Brian I will be trying your method for foiling. I have used BMF in the past so I am hoping for good results with ordinary foil. Although the curves are going to be interesting. :)

Steve

Steve,

NMF.

Derek

(More info and pictures here: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=43432&page=14).

Edited by Derek B

You will also need to make the DF antenna fairing as seen on top of the fuselage.

Derek

To all interested parties,

This is just a note but I believe that DF antenna fairing is in all the Hasegawa 32nd P-40 kits. The parts are on the 'O' sprue ,which is in all kits as it contains the prop, spinner, bomb and drop tank generic to all Hase P-40 kits, as parts #21 and 22 HTH

Mike Horina

Woo Hoo times two , mine was waiting for me when I got home yesterday , the main thing that occurs to me is the level of detail in the kit, the cockpit is superb out of the box, add a little Eduard magic.. and ist a show stopper!

The other thing that occurs to me is that the kit seems to be designed to shown is a dio, open crew access doors , excellent engine detail .. Hmm.. anyone remember the dio layout Shep Paine did for the Monogram P-61.. Now who's got plans for one of the mobile engine hoists...!