Hobby Boss 1/32 P-61 first impressions

Puncher 75

From what I understand, the kit originally announced as a P-61A to be released in 1/32nd from Trumpeter. Then, somehow, HB magically appeared releasing a P-61B! Don't know if we are to see a P-61A in the future, or if it to be a Trumpeter release!

I think this has lead to a mix of P-61A and B in the box.

Mark Proulx

From what I understand, the kit originally announced as a P-61A to be released in 1/32nd from Trumpeter. Then, somehow, HB magically appeared releasing a P-61B! Don't know if we are to see a P-61A in the future, or if it to be a Trumpeter release!

I think this has lead to a mix of P-61A and B in the box.

Mark Proulx

Hi Mark, since Trumpeter and Hobby Boss are almost the same company and work in conjunction with each other I can't understand how they mixed the kit up. To give us the P-61A all they would have to do is give us a shortened fuselage. The rest is on the box. For the P-61B they would need to supply a new nose,new gear doors and new ailerons.

Cheers, Ken

Given that the information is out there, one has to wonder how they could botch this. Geez, you only need an "In Action" to figure the differences! Furthermore, the references are inexpensive to buy and an accurate kit may result. Instead, over 200 bucks for a model that isn't accurate out of the box.

Mark Proulx

Given that the information is out there, one has to wonder how they could botch this. Geez, you only need an "In Action" to figure the differences! Furthermore, the references are inexpensive to buy and an accurate kit may result. Instead, over 200 bucks for a model that isn't accurate out of the box.

Mark Proulx

Hi Mark, if you payed over $200 for this kit you have been had. I got mine for $149.00.+ shipping. The In Action book has numerous errors in it in regards to the line drawings etc. In China they do have problems getting hold of foreign material as the government censors it by mail and Internet but they do have a full size example they could have taken measurements from.What's got me puzzled is how they messed up the 48 scale kit and have done the same with their 32 scale kit as to what is what version.

Ken

I didn`t purchase the kit and suggested a $200 price based on forum postings here. The P-61 won`t be in my stash as I already have more than enough costly Trumpeter kits with shape/research issues (A-7 Corsair, F-8 Crusader, 4X Bf 109 in 1/24th, etc, etc).

I don`t think it is too much to expect a certain level of accuracy for the prices. I respect others happy to have the kit and that is fine and their choice. I also recognize the fixes are not insurmountable and many modelers will jump at the chance to fix it up (or not). At some point, the aftermarket will also see an opportunity here.

I have reached the conclusion that I am not happy with the level of elementary research and am choosing to voice my opinion where it counts...with my wallet!

Mark Proulx

Sounds like the biggest issue is 6mm of fuselage length and the designation on the box. I will get one, build it as an A and wait for Snuffy Smith/"Times a Wastin'" markings, while others can wait for the perfect kit. Considering my build rate, and the number of perfect kits ever released, our completion date should be about the same! :rofl:

Edited by eoyguy

Hi Mark, I agree with you 100%. I think the errors made by Trumpeter/Hobby Boss are just plain lazy to be honest. I don't like fixing errors either with kits but when it's the only kit going and I like the subject matter I will dive in. I don't like open panels so every Trumpeter kit I own I will have some work to do. I have never built a kit without some problem or another. They tell me the Tamiya P-51D is close to the perfect kit only I'm not into Mustangs so I guess I will never know. Every modeler must decide for themself if they want the kit bad enough to except it errors. I just know for example the Trumpeter A-6A Intruder will have the A-6E wing on it. Wait and see!

Cheers,

Ken

.... I just know for example the Trumpeter A-6A Intruder will have the A-6E wing on it. Wait and see!

Cheers,

Ken

From the sprue shots I have seen of the A-6 (assuming they are for the A-6A release) it looks like they have a non composite folding wing setup so I think they may have at least got the wing correct. Who knows for sure till the kit is released but I am praying to the modelling gods that Trumpy had their A team doing the kit (and again the sprues look hopeful.) An A-6 in this scale is one of my "holy grails" and I am hugely excited that one is being released.

Concerning the P-61, it is baffling that they got things wrong yet again, but if the only thing that needs to be done to make a good A version is to slice a bit of the nose then I am pretty happy as that seems an easy mod to make. Sure beats the A-7 where the whole front end, canopy, etc. is hosed and needs major resin to make look right (just IMHO anyway)

...The P-61 won`t be in my stash as I already have more than enough costly Trumpeter kits with shape/research issues....

Amen to that. I went so far as to liquidate the vast majority of Trumpeter kits I had with one exception (the Me262B-1a/U1) which I plan on building at some point in the future. I'll not buy another kit from either Trumpeter or Hobby Boss until such time as they get it right, ALL of it. I even may liquidate my Trumpeter A-7E even though it's half built, has an Avionix cockpit and Zactoman's corrections installed. I just cannot stand to file, sand, fit, ad infinito until the parts fit SOMEWHERE near where they should. Most of the A-7 isn't that bad but I've lost patience with these kits so I won't be buying the P-61. I'll look at the builds and marvel at what can be done with the kit but that's as far as it will go.

In my opinion, (I know not worth much, but I am entitled to it), I believe the Me 262 series produced by Trumpeter is among their best 1/32nd scale efforts (at least to date).

While there are some issues here still on the 262 (under the premise the perfect kit remains elusive, though Tamiya P-51 is close!), they are minor and I can live with them at this point in time. Besides, what is the alternative? Revell?

I got all the Trumpeter kits as they first came out, including some ships, in an effort to support their efforts in the large scale arena (one overlooked for so long), but as the cost of kits keeps getting higher and higher I just can no longer tolerate poor research. So, I have changed my outlook and will now purchase a kit of theirs that is deemed to be accurate, or, at least close to it. I can't reward them with my hard earned dollar when their kits suffer as the P-61 apparently does. One shouldn't have to spend money on resin corrections set for a model that is set at this price.

I fully respect those that are ecstatic about the new HB P-61 (A or B) and eager to see the aircraft in 1/32nd scale. I look forward to seeing some great builds here at LSP.

Mark Proulx

Count me amongst the guys that are looking forward to the Widow, but only because I like the subject & have waited decades for it to be released in 32nd....sure, it has some issues, but they don't seem to be a deal-breaker.

Fully agree about the Trump thing.....finished the ZM Skyraider & dio, so figured to start on something else......whipped out the Trump P-40B....had forgotten I had the CE decals; Eduard mask set for it, so was a bit anxious to get started...heck, the engine went together, but pretty poorly...when I got to the individual 2-piece exhaust pipes that required a great deal of work just to get one together & would still need putty/sanding, , I boxed it back up & went with the Hase P-40E instead. Same thing with the Trump TBM...canopies simply would not fit properly..back in the box it went....

Should have the Widow(s) next weekend.....along with TD chutes & resin wheels...WOO-HOO!

Cheers,

Jim

Count me amongst the guys that are looking forward to the Widow, but only because I like the subject & have waited decades for it to be released in 32nd....sure, it has some issues, but they don't seem to be a deal-breaker.

Fully agree about the Trump thing.....finished the ZM Skyraider & dio, so figured to start on something else......whipped out the Trump P-40B....had forgotten I had the CE decals; Eduard mask set for it, so was a bit anxious to get started...heck, the engine went together, but pretty poorly...when I got to the individual 2-piece exhaust pipes that required a great deal of work just to get one together & would still need putty/sanding, , I boxed it back up & went with the Hase P-40E instead. Same thing with the Trump TBM...canopies simply would not fit properly..back in the box it went....

Should have the Widow(s) next weekend.....along with TD chutes & resin wheels...WOO-HOO!

Cheers,

Jim

JIm, you will be happy to know the glass pieces fit really well on the P-61. Overall the kit fits together nicely and I found that even the engine nacelles where they fit to the underside of the wing fit real nice. This is usually an area that is not the best fit. The outer wing panels fit nice to the inboard section and I would glue the top two wing sections together before glueing the bottom sections. The kit will build up very well I think after test fitting everything.

Ken