Aires F-100 stuff

Haggis

From what I can see Jennings, the kit is very good. Good fit, good detail (although I'm going to town with resin and PE) and it's accurate. The only thing wrong with it I can see is the shape of the intake on the front and I'm going to replace that with a Zacto resin piece. Anyway, it's the only one out there and I've spent over £150 so far. So far I'm very pleased and really looking forward to starting.

Having looked, I think I'm going to scratch the detail in the undercarriage bays, all the hassle over fitting the resin just isn't worth it!

I wish someone would do correct main wheels for the kit. The ones in the box are quite undersized. The only aftermarket wheels I know of were done by Renaissance in France, I believe, and not particularly easy to find..

Kits-Discount in France and Little-Cars in the UK both stock Renaissance Flight products.

Kits-Discount in France and Little-Cars in the UK both stock Renaissance Flight products.

They are out of stock at Kits-Discount, and Little Cars doesn't seem to have a usable online store where one can order from or see if a product is in stock. Hence, my comment that they are hard to find, especially for someone in the US.

Dave, et. al,

I've designed for resin (and will have in my hands shortly) some correct F-100 style wheels and tires. I'll be test fitting these prototypes on my 1/32 F-100 kit and if all goes well, you should see them released soon. Forgive the stealth nature, but the boss has not given the go-ahead for public announcement yet. Probably waiting to see how they turn out. They're CAD designed based off actual data so they will be the right height and width...something that has been wrong even since the 1/48th monogram days.

Patrick

Hi Jamie,

It's a good kit, it's just not a good kit of an F-100. A lot of the kit's accuracy issues can be fixed with resin and scratchbuilding, but some things can't. I finally finished mine about a year ago, after a futile 2 1/2-year attempt to correct the worst of the kit's ills.

- The Zacto nose will fix one of the most obvious issues. Once you install the resin part, measure 4mm forward of the seam and scribe a new panel line there. Trumpeter got the break between the fuselage and the nose piece too far aft and the Zacto part attaches at that point. This is important, because the leading edge of the pitot tube mount is just a few inches aft of the break on the real jet. The pitot mount on the kit is undersized (basically, there isn't one) because of this.

- The main gear tires are about 4mm too large in diameter, not too small. The wheel hubs are correct, but they got the tires wrong. The Renaissance mains are just resin versions of the kit parts, but at least you can chuck them in a drill and turn the tires down to the correct diameter. [EDIT: Just saw Patrick's post, so you could wait for his to be released.]

- The wings are too thin, but the gear struts are the correct length, which has the effect of lengthening the struts. This, combined with the too-large tires, makes the model sit level, instead of with the F-100's characteristic nose-up attitude. Shorten the tops of the struts by about 3-4mm.

- An AMS Resin seat is a great addition to the cockpit. None of the aftermarket cockpits are particularly accurate, but Aires' at least has nice canopy details. If I were to do mine again, I'd just go with the AMS seat and the Eduard cockpit detail set. Skip all of the other Eduard stuff for the exterior. Most of it isn't necessary.

-Another thing with the cockpit that I didn't learn until it was too late to fix was that the aft bulkhead is too far aft, and I think possibly the ammunition bays are a little too far forward. The two should share the same bulkhead, but on the kit, the bays intrude into the cockpit. Aires adds a fictional plate between their aft bulkhead and the plate they mount the seat to to move it forward to the correct position.

- If you build your model with the aft fuselage attached, have a look at the two bulkhead parts provided. One is thicker than the other (can't recall the part #s). The thicker one is supposed to go in the aft fuselage, but if you put in in the forward fuselage, it will hit the stops molded into the fuselage interior and stick out the back of the fuselage. This gives you a nice solid step to help mount the aft fuselage to the forward part. I think Trump intended this, but they screwed up the instructions.

Those are the biggies. After my attempt to correct this kit, I had to build two 1/48 Tamiya P-51s out of the box as therapy! :wacko: Feel free to PM me if you want all of the gory details of my build or if you need any reference help.

Have you decided on a time frame or markings for your Hunzilla, yet?

Ben (reformed F-100 nut)

Edited by Ben Brown

Luckily accuracy isn't that important to me. The nose is obvious so that will be changed. As for the odd panel line and position of this and that, I never really noticed and therefore it's not obvious and I'll live with it. The Aires cockpit looks stunning so it's going in.

As for the Eduard exterior, I'll be leaving off most of the panels but there's enough in the set to make it worthwhile for me.

Thanks for the bulkhead tip, that will be very useful.

Master Casters will be bringing out wheels soon (I hope). They're in the catalogue for a future release.

I'll be doing a Danish example so I'll scratch build the wing tip things (which I assume are ECM aerials?) but that's it.

Cheers

Jamie

You'll have a good time with the model, then. I don't think there are too many areas that will give you any trouble, fit-wise. The Aires pit was a surprise in that it actually fit without too much swearing.You won't be able to close the canopy with the part that fits up inside it glued in place because it interferes with the fictional plate between the plate with the seat rails and the aft bulkhead. Not a problem if you leave the canopy open.

The Danish, French, and I think Turkish jets were part of an early series of block #s that couldn't carry a centerline store. They all had the speed brake with the narrow cutout and 1-piece inboard main gear doors, like the F-100A/C had. The easiest way to modify the later 2-piece doors included in the kit would be to just glue them closed and fill the seam where the small section of the door attaches to the large section.

Cheers!

Ben

Hi Jamie,

A friend just sent me your post here. Are you talking about the 1/48 kit you're building now? The Zacto nose piece is 1/32. AMS makes a nice nose replacement in 1/48 but you will need to shim the fuselage wider forward of the cockpit by about .020 to get everything to line up correctly. AMS also makes a nice tail correction. You're right about fitting the Aires wheel bays. They require a lot of thinning of the fuselage and I'm sure it will hold true if you've decided to do a 1/32 version of this kit.

Take care

Dave

• 2 months later...

One thing I did for mine was mod the kit nozzle to make it more closed. It seems almost every picture I see of the Hun on the ground,and most in flight, the nozzle is more closed than the kits exhaust or the Aires replacement. To me, this is a characteristic of the Hun. I have learned lately, however, that its possible to see things others don't, perhaps my latent "je ne sais quoi " gene kicked in without me realizing it. :rofl:

Mine looks like this one

4604392054_1b425c93f1_z.jpg

Not this

(Lee Kolosna's fine effort on Modeling Madness)

The rest of mine looks no where as good as his!

kol100db.jpg

Edited by eoyguy