WNW Tripe build, 9/23/13 - Painted and Assembled

seiran01

Thanks guys. Yeah bits of masking tape is what I'm probably gonna do.

My girlfriend's family are die hard Packers fans and I can't stand American football (I'm a kiwi so I'm a die hard All Blacks fan in accordance with national law). I sit on the sofa with em while they watch the football games and get some good basic building done just no painting LOL

Quick update for now - painted a thinned down burnt sienna oil coat over most "wood" parts to make it a bit richer in color; the original burnt umber coat wasn't doing it for me here. Control panel was repainted with a yellow ochre/burnt sienna mix over the burnt umber. As a 5th try at painting the inside fuselage sides with the thin wood ribs and stringers, I ended up using thin cut tamiya masking tape and then hand painting the oils. Should have started with that approach!

The leather look on the seat is tamiya XF-10 brown with a dry brushing of yellow ochre oil. I may give it a very light dry brushing of white as well. All parts that will end up in a clear doped linen finish have been painted XF-55 and I'll start to mask and pre-shade these flying surfaces.

IMG_0931.JPG

Dry-fitting... carefully as that oil is far from dry yet! I love this cockpit detail and really hope I can do it justice.

IMG_0933.JPG

I have been studying a lot of pix both online and in the instruction booklet. For anyone intending to build the kit, I definitely recommend checking out photos on The Vintage Aviator Limited (TVAL)'s website. These are the folks down in NZ who make the flying replicas, also under Peter Jackson's umbrella like WNW.

TVAL Tripe Build - http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/image-galleries/sopwith-triplane-replica

TVAL Tripe Walkaround - http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/image/tid/142

Cheers for now

Mike

Edited by seiran01

Guest Peterpools

Mike

The 5th try was a charmer ... you nailed the wood grain. Nice idea dry brushing with the yellow ochre oil on the leather seat. The leather has a nice, warm used look to it. :thumbsup:

One question on adding the wood grain: Is it recommended to gloss over the base color paint and then apply the oil grain or apply the oil directly on top of the base color?

Thanks

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Peter!

I think generally you want to put a gloss coat over the painted wood grain, not before the oils. The burnt sienna oil i have has a lot more oil at the neck o fthe tube so i've actually been pulling that out with a little bit of pigment and it's brushing very thinly and glossy. I have not sprayed any clear gloss on the parts yet and you can see how shiny it is, so I may not even coat those parts.

Dave (Moeggo) has a great article over on Scale Plastic and Rail forums at http://sparforums.com/ipb/index.php?/topic/1034-wood-grain-a-easy-how-to/ comparing different base coats, oil colors, and clear/tinted gloss coats to give a billion different looks; worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

Mike

Dave (Moeggo) has a great article over on Scale Plastic and Rail forums at http://sparforums.co...-a-easy-how-to/ comparing different base coats, oil colors, and clear/tinted gloss coats to give a billion different looks; worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

Mike

Yep, he posted the same tutorial here,... somewhere.

Now that the oils have dried, i can work on the interior some more. I'm fairly happy with how it's coming together though I do need to do some touchup form heavy-handed fine painting on the control panel (most of the slop is covered by instrument decals)

IMG_0945.JPG

Stick is rigged as is the trim wheel; the floor and sidewall are dryfitted in this shot again. I attempted to use Radu's turnbuckles and very quickly gave up after the carpet monster was treated to a royal feast. Nothing negative to say about Radu's product, it's just that I've found a limitation in my skill:patience ratio :)

IMG_0944.JPG

Here I've thinned the small openings to the cowl using an exacto, you can see in the bottom of the shot that I'll need to neaten it up yet on the inside.

IMG_0947.JPG

Scratchbuilt my own tape cutting guide using part of a sprue ID plate and some extra #11 blades. Use along with a metal ruler and all the rib maskings look like...

IMG_0943.JPG

This! I've never preshaded wings before and this took the better half of free time this week to complete with masking. This paint was also the first use of my brand new Grex Tritium airbrush. I've never used a trigger style airbrush before but so far I absolutely love this thing.

IMG_0946.JPG

That's all for now!

Mike

Thanks guys. Yeah bits of masking tape is what I'm probably gonna do.

My girlfriend's family are die hard Packers fans and I can't stand American football (I'm a kiwi so I'm a die hard All Blacks fan in accordance with national law). I sit on the sofa with em while they watch the football games and get some good basic building done just no painting LOL

Nothing wrong with being a Packers fan! Even my young son owns stock in the Packers. Your girlfriend's family sound like good people to me. Now, that being settled, I guess we should get back to the triplane build.