WNW Sopwith Tripe is released!

OldTroll

P.S. If you want to get an understanding of the role of the WW1 observation aircraft read Bloody April: Slaughter in the Skies Over Arras, 1917, by Peter Hart. This is one of the best books on the subject. I found my copy on www.bookfinder.com.

And I second Stephen's mention of the Hart citation above. Hart also did _Somme Surprise_ which covers 1916 and the ascendancy of the RFC; he also did one called _Aces Falling_ that deals with 1918 and how the war in the air transitioned from the "single combat" model to a more industrial type of combat with large formations patrolling and bombing and the individual "knight of the air" becoming less relevant (as well as dying off in record numbers).

Tim W.

Thanks, Tim. I just ordered copies of Harts other two WW1 aviation books you just told me about, SOMME SUCCESS: The Royal Flying Corps and the Battle of The Somme 1916 and Aces Falling: War Above the Trenches, 1918. He has a fourth book but it is rather high priced so I'll do without it. He writes a very unglamorous book, cutting through all the bull crap and fluff to show how things really were.

Today I received the WNW kit of the RE.8 Harry Tate. I really like these early ungainly aeroplanes with the wires and parts attached onto the craft seemingly every which way.

Many thanks,

Stephen

I'd really like to post a few pics of my stuff, but honestly, my pictures come out crappy.

What's your secret?

I don't know that I have one. A decent digital camera, some good lighting, and focusing on subject in center of frame is about all I can think of. I have a good tripod and a remote shutter release, and those help me a lot too. Here's a shot of the WNW Fokker E.II I'm working on now.

102712005.jpg

SeaVenom, I sort of agree with you, but to be honest, PC-10 is only so attractive. If the Sopwith Tripe had some varied schemes a la the Fokker, I'd buy a couple. That said, I'm sure there is a lot more info to be released, and there ought to be some varied schemes waiting. A CDL scheme would be cool.

Personally, I shoot my photos outside when the sky is what we call "cloudy Bright". The lack of a direct sun gives me an accurate, well li, but muted lighting effect. Since I am outside the color is natural and I do not need to use filters.

I agree the use of a tripod is quite necessary.

Stephen.

Nothing is better than daylight, and a tripod isn't a bad idea at all

If you don't want to invest in a remote release (they can be costly with modern cameras), use the selftimer function. :)

Nothing is better than daylight, and a tripod isn't a bad idea at all

If you don't want to invest in a remote release (they can be costly with modern cameras), use the selftimer function. :)

I found the remote shutter release for my little Nikon on eBay for a real good price.

There's nothing wrong with a good deal when you can fetch it... ;)

Back in the days, when I had to deal with those strange, lenghty strips of celluloid, Minolta, when they still made cameras, asked for about 25€ for a remote release for their Dynax 7000i, because they used some unique electronic thingy for that task. That was back in the '90s...

SeaVenom, I sort of agree with you, but to be honest, PC-10 is only so attractive. If the Sopwith Tripe had some varied schemes a la the Fokker, I'd buy a couple. That said, I'm sure there is a lot more info to be released, and there ought to be some varied schemes waiting. A CDL scheme would be cool.

Obviously the British planes didn't have quite such varied colour schemes as the Germans but there was quite a few interesting British scemes too like the Camels with chequerboard cowlings etc or the SE5A with blue diamonds all over it.

That said I prefer an SE5A in overall olive green (or whatever exact shade they were). Probably something to do with seeing them in The Blue Max and Aces High when I was younger. I've seen a few modellers saying they only buy planes for the colour schemes and they don't always like the actual plane. Something I find a bit bizarre because what's the point in buying a model plane if you don't actually like the plane?

Of course, this is considered Heresy and I can expect a visit from the Spanish Inquisition :DodgeBall: for saying this,

but, why not make up your own color scheme? :help: :frantic: :fight:

After all, all we are dealing with are small models which are representations of real airplanes that existed long ago.

If necessary one can invent a unit where this color scheme was accepted, such as the 12th U.M.R. (Underground Messkit Repair).

I have created an entire country, Vulgaria, lost in the Balkans - you cannot get there from here- and have invented aircraft for it as well as painting regular aircraft in its many colors. I even used it as part of my first novel, the Streamlined Locomotive, available on Amazon kindle (shameless plug).

Aren't we are making these models for our own amusement and pleasure? And once you let the camel's nose under the tent you may release your inhibitions and come up with all sorts of fun aircraft and color schemes.

Sure beats dull green.

Stephen, Field Marshal, Vulgarian Armed Forces

Here's a perfect example Stephen.

http://forum.largesc...showtopic=34693

I dreamed up a scheme for a 1:72 Fokker Dr.I just for fun too, and it was fun. I'm not real sure I've ever met up with any modeler that buys or builds aircraft that they don't like, just to do what they consider to be an attractive scheme. I do however believe that an attractive scheme can create some enthusiasm for an aircraft where little or none existed before. Case in point (for me anyway), would be a Brewster Buffalo. Never cared much for the airplane, but after seeing several interesting schemes for it, the aircraft has sort of grown on me; a double win.

Here's a perfect example Stephen.

http://forum.largesc...showtopic=34693

I dreamed up a scheme for a 1:72 Fokker Dr.I just for fun too, and it was fun. I'm not real sure I've ever met up with any modeler that buys or builds aircraft that they don't like, just to do what they consider to be an attractive scheme. I do however believe that an attractive scheme can create some enthusiasm for an aircraft where little or none existed before. Case in point (for me anyway), would be a Brewster Buffalo. Never cared much for the airplane, but after seeing several interesting schemes for it, the aircraft has sort of grown on me; a double win.

Now, tell me, wasn't that just plain fun? :yahoo:

Stephen

P.S. Making up your own aircraft color schemes and modifications is a good way to make use of your early attempts at model making, which some of us hide or just throw away. Also it is a good way to make use of the somewhat less than accurate early model kits from the 1940's, 50's and 60's that we will not build because they are so wrong and will not sell because they are worth so little. These include the vacuforms we got because they were the only available models of certain planes that are now available injected molded.

I recall seeing a great model of a Fokker DVII in the colors of the Royal Liechstenstein Air Force. Maybe we could find references for a similar plane from Ruritania or even Trumania, except that may be a more recently created country than the "great" war. (great movie, though).

Even with those alternatives, there are so many interesting "real" color schemes for the Fokker that didn't carry anything like a German cross. Ukraine, USA, Dutch, Soviet (Pharaoh insignia), Lithuanian, Polish and the list goes on. Way too much fun.

Tnarg

Sorry to hijack the Fokker D.VII/photo techniques/Brit boring camouflage thread but WNW has released their Sopwith Triplane kit. LOL - just kidding, guys but I just found number of "sub-threads" amusing. Waiting on shipping notice for my triple tripes!

Sorry to hijack the Fokker D.VII/photo techniques/Brit boring camouflage thread but WNW has released their Sopwith Triplane kit. LOL - just kidding, guys but I just found number of "sub-threads" amusing. Waiting on shipping notice for my triple tripes!

We'll see it built here then?