Hampden Bomb Bay question

wunwinglow

Having just ordered a set of Hampden vacform parts from Tigger, I started rounding up my reference material, and I've bumped up a problem I can't seem to sort out. The Torpedo carrying variants had their bomb bays modified to accept the torpedo, but there seems to be some confusion as to what was actually done. Some say, and illustrate, the bomb bay doors lowered at the rear, so they slope, while others suggest the rear ventral gunners position was shortened in height, leaving the door line unchanged, but then giving clearance for the torpedo and its tail.

Looking at photos, I am inclined to think it is the latter, ie shortened gunners position, and not dropped doors. Does anyone actually KNOW what is going on here, that could put me straight? Thanks in advance!!

Tim

PS Long term project, I must finish the Swordfish first.....

Tim,

I hit the same wall while researching the Hampden two years ago or my (hum, failed) Hampden.

Not much info on the Hampden, I tried.

Good luck, I hope you will post your project on LSP when the time comes.

Cees

From the photos I have seen (give me some time to find out where they are - this is where we realise we doubly miss Dr Charles Metz :crying: ) the doors were bulging out of the standard airframe at the rear.

Technically, this is also simpler to achieve as a fix on existing airframes than changing the rear section , which would entail some serious structural surgery of the fuselage frames ...

Hubert

PS: btw, the cowlings on the old ID molds were too small in diameter. I turned (and sent to John after I made my copies) a new master for them. But that also entails some serious surgery of the nacelles to bring them to the new diameter.

Hubert thanks for the Heads-up about the cowlings. I'll watch out for that when I get the kit.

Ref the bomb bay for torpedoes, it seems the bomb bay doors were NOT altered, and the ventral gun position WAS reduced in height. This is the best pic I have seen showing this, so beware all those drawings that show the doors sloping down tailwards!! I found a couple of discussions on www.britmodeller.com which cover this in more detail.

HAMPDENAN127455SQNXA-Y.jpg

Looking forward to Telford at the week-end!

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

Hi Tim,

Just surfi'n the 'net and came across these (you've probably seen most of them already anyway):

(From a Britmodeller topic)

sc1f311.jpg

DSC_0443_2.jpg

hampden5.jpg

Hampden001.jpg

Hampden0012.jpg

(Others)

hampden_mine.jpg

VRT-420h.jpg

HTH

Derek

Putnams book on Handley Page also has a good description of the mod as well, including the useful point that the frame aft of the bomb bay was reduced in height by 12 inches!! I can work with this....

Thanks for input, guys.

Tim

The problem with the Hampden is, you can have many books but still have many questions unanswered.

Try looking at pic through google, there are a lot of them about the RAF Museum restoration at Cosford.

If lucky I get to see the airframe myself next monday.

Cees

Hi Cees, yes, I agree seeing the real thing is the very best way to understand what the machine really looks like! I did visit the restoration facility at Cosford a few years ago, and work was progressing, but I foolishly only took a few photos. I will have to try and make another visit! I hope you have a great time, we saw the Sopwith Dolhin just before it went to Hendon, as well as a Me 163 being worked on.

Tim