Tamiya 1:32 P-51D Mustang

Mensaboy322

long time viewer, first time poster...

Hello all, short history i have always been interested in models and military aircraft - but i usually only built Star Wars models, kits and scratch. I have also always been a big fan of Tamiya, so finally my favorite airplane, hobby, and kit maker converged on this subject i started researching techniques on building aircraft models and quickly found this site.

I did burn through a small pile of inexpensive aircraft kits to build up to this job, IMO one of the best plastic model kit ever made, but i will save those (not large scale, for the most part) finished training dummies for a later thread

this is OOB, save for the BarracudaCals decals

since i did not make a WIP thread i will throw a few in this thread

P5103_zpsa954b0d6.jpg

P5106_zps406e763d.jpg

P5105_zps2a0394a5.jpg

P5104_zps0ecda932.jpg

here just before starting with the weathering i dumped a small cup of laquer thinner on the wing - it was very discouraging but as you see the post fix result is definitely acceptable

P5107_zps9522228e.jpg

P5108_zpsf8a9d9da.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Nice progress on the P-51. What's the scoop with the lacquer thinner spilling on the wing? With my luck, it would have been a total disaster.

Peter

Excellent start!

That would be VERY hard to see, having lacquer thinner spill on my model! Looks like you have it sorted out though.

After it happened i tossed it in the trash, having calmed down a bit an hour later i started the rescue process, which really didnt take any time at all thankfully.

Now for the finished model, some pics at the ends show the gear up and gear down parts in place.

One thing that does not seem to register well in photos is the difference between the polished fuse and painted wings...it is more striking in person - i will have to do some testing to see if there is a really good way to photograph it.

P5111_zps9e8daa64.jpg

P5110_zps3e699b35.jpg

P5114_zps6180a627.jpg

P5112_zpsa1ee6065.jpg

P5115_zpscbbec619.jpg

P5113_zps6efea84e.jpg

P5116_zps688c27f1.jpg

P5117_zps6649eb18.jpg

P5119_zps51412699.jpg

P5120_zpsbb0cf114.jpg

thanks for your comments, for any mod this thread can go in "ready for inspection", i got messed up with the first couple posts since they required approval / photo limit (weird since they are links anyway)

so it probably seemed like a WIP at the start

great build, the fit of the cowlings look better than i had heard

about that, if anyone is going to start one of these,

in almost all cases on this kit even a layer of paint will make fit tight due to the ridiculous precicsion

however with the engine and supporting framework there is enough play to have the front either askew of the fuse or slightly twisted, making the ultra thin cowling parts just not fit well and look as though some radial fracture has occured - this happened to me so after the front was totally complete i had to wedge and shatter apart the entire front end and then rebuild it constantly putting the cowling parts on and off again to check...the fit at that point was still not perfect so some tricky sanding and flexing of the cowl parts was required to get it right

for Tamiyas part this is not a failing of the fit - a dry fit of the frontend before painting/gluing was shockingly flawless so the error was forced in by me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Here is a little trivia on the Millie Gs. I was friends with Jim 'Skunky' Marine, crew chief on all of Major Giller's planes. He told me that they didn't want a blotchy plane due in part to the browning of Olive Green, and often the unavailability of the same. So they painted all of the Millie Gs British Dark Green. Also, if anyone wants to make an accurate diarama, I don't remember what page, but in the book, "The Mighty Eighth", there is an unidentified Mustang with a wooden work platform on the port side of the engine. That is the Millie G, the only A/C to have one. One of the men in the photo is Marine.