Big Beautiful Doll: Tamiya P-51D Mustang

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Jerry

I had purchased the prop blades a while back and wasn't sure which version they they could be used on. A few of the guys pointed out the same that they are for the K model, so I'll save them for a future Project.

I had read that there was a balsa board under the fuel tank, not the radio rack, that served as only a cushion but not for support.I went back and pulled out your photo. I should have gone right to the well in the first place.

Thanks again

001-55.jpg

Photo : Jerry Rutman

Edited by Peterpools

This looks amazing already. I know how tough it can be to re-start a project, but it looks like the effort is going to pay off! Can't wait to see more pictures of this one, good to see you back at the bench.

If you don't mind me asking, what happened with all of your other builds?

Matt :party0023:

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Matt

Much appreciated. Late, very late last night, I finished up the seat assembly,re-painted the springs and details and added the RB seatbelt set; just love 'em. The RB seatbelts take a while to do but look just like the real deal. Will post a few update photos later today.

Peter

Guest Ta152H1

You're off to a terrific start Peter :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !Be sure to dry-fit,dry-fit and dry-fit everything to make sure that nothing will hinder the fit between Roy's and the kit's parts!

Love your seat cushion....what have you used to make it out of? :punk:

Can't wait to see more!

Cheers

Lou

Guest Peterpools

Lou

Thanks for the advice and the kind words.

I've been doing a ton of test fitting and tweaking, to get things to fit. Some parts, I've left off and won't add until the last minute for fear of knocking them off and being eaten up by th carpet monster.

I sanded down the seat cushion and then built it up with Bondo. If I would have had Milliput, that most likely would have been a better choice.

Peter

Great stuff so far Peter! If you want to cheat the ol' carpet monster big time, try what I use. I got me a big ol' BBQ apron and I attach the bottom of it to the underside edge of my work bench. Whenever I work on something I put on the apron and if I drop something it usually falls down in to the apron and it's easily retrieved and a lot less time is spent on my hands and knees trying to get it back. Havin' something plink off in to Nirvana from the freakin' tweezers is a different kettle of fish altogether though. I've been using the apron for years, it really works well.

Cheers,

Wolf

Guest Peterpools

Wolf

Thanks for kinds - much appreciated. And what a great idea to cheat and beat the carpet monster.

Thanks again

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Just a quick update and I am about finished the seat,armor plate and radio/battery deck areas. All the wires and fuel lines are done and most of the detail painting as well. The seat and cushion is now completed and a set of RB seatbelts and harnesses added. So far I wound up with at least or four sets for the Mustang but always defer to RB for the belts - great stuff.

Radio and battery, as well as the placards are from Barracuda - awesome resin detail set.

Floor boards and rudder pedals are painted and the Barracuda PE NAA pedals installed - great stuff. Will take a few close ups when the panel is done, which shoulld be up next..

PCW_2963.jpg

PCW_2964.jpg

PCW_2965.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Ta152H1

Hey...that build goes on too fast..it's like,like...WHOA :o !!!!Are you a modeler or Merlin the Wizard? :P

Great progress so far Peter...don't forget to paint the recess where the control column is to go ZCY...and the small bottle in your fave shade of aluminum color!

Oh...I've just finished assemblying the HGW seat belts and they look terrific...Radu's are beautiful too but I had already bought Jan Bobek's!

Good Show Peterpools! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Cheers

Lou

Guest Peterpools

Lou

Good thing you pointed out painting the control column recess YZC .. I would have forgotten it.

Thanks for compliments .. much appreciated.

Maybe Merlin the Modeler?

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Kev & Mark

Thanks guys. It's a long way to go and I have to keep reminding myself to stay on the path and follow the game plan.

Peter