Where are all the Dive Bombers ???

pappy1

Well, yeah ... but isn't this an entirely separate line of reasoning from the "modelers want to be fighter jocks" theory you put forth previously?

Not at all. The cost of making 1/32 scale models is higher than for the smaller scales. which is one of the reasons why so few have been produced.

The choice of which aircraft to produce is independent of the cost factor because there is not much difference between producing a single engine fighter and a single engine bomber aircraft. The idea is to produce a model airplane that will be popular with the buyers so they can sell more of them.

We are talking about two different concepts here.

Stephen

I agree partly with your logic that the fighters are much more glamorous than bomber/torpedo planes, but some builders (Like myself)

that study a certain period, or war, like to have the whole collection so to speak of their chosen countries attack force.

I happen to be heavily into WW2 naval aircraft and for me I don't really feel that that I have a complete set without a few attack planes ( particularly Japanese ) but I have to concede that you are probably right about manufactures only making hot items that will sell well,however I still think that there is a rather large market out there for some attack planes, as long as they are not to obscure.........Neal

Hi Neal,

I prefer the bombers and the attack planes to the fighters. I feel that we have over done the fighter models and we need more bombers.

By the way, have you attempted to make any of the Combat Models and ID/Tigger vacuform models? We can get some U.S. NAVY planes from those sources.

Also, as WW2 progressed aircraft that became obsolescent were used as attack aircraft. The U.S. Army Air Corps and Russians used the P-39 fighter as a low level attack aircraft. The F4-U Corsair started as a fighter and in the Korean War was a ground attack aircraft. The Jug and the Lightning were being used as light attack bombers by the end of WW2 an of course the P-40 was often used in the ground attack role.

It seems that we did not really design a single engine ground attack aircraft but rather took obsolescent aircraft and put bomb shackles and rockets under the wings.

By the way, Berkeley used to manufacture a 1/32 scale kit of the AJ Savage Aircraft Carrier based nuclear bomber. The kit was for U-Control flying and was used in the carrier events in flying contests. It can occasionally be found for sale on eBay. The model has a pre-carved balsa fuselage and can be made up nicely as a display models (if you put enough work into it). The last one I saw on eBay cost about $165 but in an auction there is, as you know, no MSRP. On eBay try a search for "AJ Savage balsa model". That is a good place to start.

Enjoy,

Stephen

...all of which you would think would be excellent sellers.

That's what they said about the Monogram 1/48 PBY, the Hasegawa 1/48 Sea King, the Trumpeter 1/48 RA-5C, etc, etc, etc. What you'd think and what actually *are* excellent sellers is often radically different. That's why we're awash in Bf109s.

There are other factors that help determine if a kit will be a best seller or will just languish in the warehouse taking up space.

In the first place we advanced modelers (IPMS people, model forum members, etc.} are just one market that the model manufactures target.

There is a second group that may very well be larger than us. I am referring to the walk-in buying public who know very little about airplanes and couldn't care less. These are the relatives, aunts, uncles, parents, cousins, siblings, who buy model kits as presents for the young man who makes models. Come birthdays time, or Christmas or any of a myriad of events these people will decide that a model kit will be a fine gift to little Johnny All Thumbs.

Another group are also adults who are finally making some extra money and are looking for a new hobby (having bent all their golf clubs around a 4 inch diameter tree the previous Sunday). Included in this group are those who have been advised by their doctors to get a hobby that will relax them; so off they go to the local hobby shop and buy everything they need and dig in. I know of one guy in my area who was a high pressure executive and his doctor told him to get a hobby. He is now cranking out models at a rapid rate with the same intensity that led him to a near coronary from the pressure of the job.

What I am trying to point out is that there is an entire other group of potential kit buyers out there who never heard of IPMS or the LSP and couldn't care less. The kit manufacturers want to attract buyers from this group so they try to estimate which aircraft will attract them as well as the experienced modelers. I really would like to be a fly on the wall at the manufacturer meetings where they decide which plane to produce next in kit form.

By the way, notice how Revell/Germany have been producing new 1/32 scale models of German aircraft? Here we have a ready market among their fellow Germans, both modelers and gift receivers.

So there are a number of factors that determine which planes get produced in 1/32 scale. None of them apparently favor dive bombers.

Alas.

Stephen

Probably because it cost so much more to make the 1/32 scale models, which uses a lot more plastic. Because of the size and cost of the larger kits they will sell a lot more of the 1/72 scale and 1/48 kits than the big 1/32 ones. Also the great oil shortage in the early 1970's may have had a negative influence on the manufacturers who use plastic. The larger kits use a whale of a lot more plastic than the smaller kits and since plastic is made from oil the high cost will inhibit sales.

Over the years almost all the aircraft have become available in 1/72 scale, including both injection molded kits and the vacuform and resin models. There were fewer kits available in 1/48 until the 1980s when the quarter scale kits started to pick up. There were a small number of 1/32 scale kits in the 1950-70's era and then the manufacturers just stopped producing new ones.

Now 1/32 is picking up, possibly since there are so many different aircraft now offered in 1/72 and 1/48 scales that the next untapped market has to be 1/32 scale. But still, up to now bombers have been almost taboo in 1/32 scale.

We shall see what develops in 1/32 as the recession recedes (we hope).

Stephen

Just like I heard when I wanted a WW2 1/35th 240 Howitzer like my dad was on. Its not the size, its because its not German. After all two companies had released German railway monsters. Modelers seem to forget who won, and all of the families here in the US lost fathers, husbands, and grandfathers.

Just like I heard when I wanted a WW2 1/35th 240 Howitzer like my dad was on. Its not the size, its because its not German. After all two companies had released German railway monsters. Modelers seem to forget who won, and all of the families here in the US lost fathers, husbands, and grandfathers.

Yes and a lot of people in Britain, and Australia, and France, and New Zealand.....Etc.. Allied effort. Pappy1

I love the Trumpeter 1/32 SBD. Beautifully done kit. I agree with the gist of this thread though not enough Dive Bombers. You'd think that a Val or two would have made it to the marketplace by now...

Oh, how I do agree with you!

Stephen

No mention of a Breda 65, the Curtiss Shrikes, the SBC-3 or -4 or even a Vindicator (wind indicator)? Some are out there in vacuform, but you pretty much need to scratch build most of the detail.

It is too easy to get stuck on the details of a super kit like the Spitfire or Mustang or even my personal poison/obsessions: the Sparrowhawk, P12E/F4B-4 and P-26. Even so, I want those kits of the 30's and 40's, and there are some great manufacturers delivering them.

Tnarg

I'd love to see some more trainers or trainer versions of popular aircraft on the market in our scale.

Let's hope the manufacturers get busy with some of them soon, AT-6 Harvard, Stearman, Anson, Expeditor etc, etc.

I think the first three would sell particularly well subject to pricing considerations.

Roy.

Let's hope the manufacturers get busy with some of them soon, AT-6 Harvard, Stearman.............

I think the first three would sell particularly well subject to pricing considerations.

Here here on that one! I canNOT believe we havent seen an injection T6 (and would also love to see an injection T-28 as well!) in 32nd yet. There were SO many countries who used it and SO many schemes including all of the civi Reno schemes that its bound to be a winner.............in MY book anyway.

To that end, while not quite as popular, Id also LOVE to see a Stearman in 32nd too.

Brian