Trumpeter F-117A WIP .... FINISHED!!!!

ericg

Nice to get a sort of sneak preview of this kit.

Was hoping for a true OOB build but thanks for showing us the way forward with this one Eric.

cheers

tony t

Edited by Tony T

Hi Mike,

I just chucked a Quickboost F-15 ACES II ejection seat in there, is it wrong for the F-117?

Eric.

I see and good choice as it's the closest variant ACES II to use and sure looks better than the kit seat. Aires just put one pair too many lap belts. I think though, that the QB/Aires seat is too narrow. In this pic, you have the seat buried too deep into the rails when the actual seat rail wheels are on the very aft sides of the seat.

P2210576.jpg

Take a look at this pic for reference.

According to the Squadron Walk Around book, a standard Aces II seat was used.

There's really no such thing as each ACES variant has differing details and features according to what jet it's installed in i.e., F-15, F-16, F-117, A-10, F-22, B-1...

Any feedback on the landing gear and what etch is included?

cheers

tony t

I am betting it's the late gear and wheels as they copied the Tamiya kit, but some pics will help confirm that.

Mike V

There's really no such thing as each ACES variant has differing details and features according to what jet it's installed in i.e., F-15, F-16, F-117, A-10, F-22, B-1...

Mike V

But isn't a modified Aces II seat for use with the Nighhawk still just basically an Aces II seat, albeit with minor mods to suit the design space as well as other requirements specific to the airframe? I realize that the seats for the Raptor, Eagle, Warthog, and Viper have some visual differences.

Eric, nice subject choice. I am really looking forward to this build and your doing great job. I have the original testors kit and I know this is much better improvement. I'm sure after market industry will have a field day with this Bat out of Hell...:wicked:

Mike

But isn't a modified Aces II seat for use with the Nighhawk still just basically an Aces II seat, albeit with minor mods to suit the design space as well as other requirements specific to the airframe? I realize that the seats for the Raptor, Eagle, Warthog, and Viper have some visual differences.

The seat in the F-117 is an "ACES II" Ejection Seat" but not a "Basic ACES II Ejection Seat". Basic defines it as a incomplete or of a lesser type.

ACES II Seats are aircraft specific, so there’s no basic seat in that sense. There’s a – number sub variant TO for each. The “basic ACESS II seat” is referred to in stripped down form or frame, which you would not put into the ACFT as it's incomplete of course. It’s technical I know, but more to the point that they are not interchangeable per aircraft type and that the seat does not exist in a “basic” generic form as an option.

Quickboost do a seat for the F-117. I will order it but I am not sure if there are any differences. Anyway, you can never have too many Aces II ejection seat laying around.

Eric

Does it come with the F-117 specific extended seat rails and of not, it may be the same width as the one you have now.

• 2 weeks later...

The seat in the F-117 is an "ACES II" Ejection Seat" but not a "Basic ACES II Ejection Seat". Basic defines it as a incomplete or of a lesser type.

ACES II Seats are aircraft specific, so there's no basic seat in that sense. There's a – number sub variant TO for each. The "basic ACESS II seat" is referred to in stripped down form or frame, which you would not put into the ACFT as it's incomplete of course. It's technical I know, but more to the point that they are not interchangeable per aircraft type and that the seat does not exist in a "basic" generic form as an option.

OK, so I learned something here, and that's always good. Thanks,

OK, some more work on the Nighthawk,

Trumpeter give you a reasonably accurate FLIR camera window, only problem it is just a clear pane of plastic, and if you want to model the radar deflecting grill, then some type of mesh will have to be added to it. I raided the spares box and came up with the netting that covers the avionics cavity, to the rear of the F/A 18 cockpit, from the Aires set.

Before:

P3060595.jpg

After:

P3060597.jpg

Just finished cockpit, apart from the seat. mostly out of the box, except the throttle and top of the joystick. Also lost the kit rudder pedals so had to borrow some from the spares.

P3060610.jpg

P3060607.jpg

I would recommend using the Waldron punch set to remove each instrument from the decal sheet. Fairly reasonable results can be had, just using what is in the box (oh, except for the gear handle)I also used 2 instuments from an Airscale sheet (which are excellent by the way) to fill in some gaps. I was a bit heavy handed using the wash on the top LCD, (data entry panel) screen. This will be fixed later.

P2240575.jpg

P3060618.jpg