Tiger Moth

Panzerwomble

No great work of art, but a bit of a learning exercise.

I bought this Revell Tiger Moth last year, knocked it together out of the box, sprayed it with silver rattle cans from the local car shop and stuck it on a shelf for a bit of decoration . Having been lurking and admiring the work on here , and convinced most of you must have the hands of hobbit children to achieve the quality of work that I see, I thought I’d re-do the Moth to see if I could learn some tricks .

S0, lots of firsts . First LSP since 1982, (a Lysander) first biplane since 1974 (aged 6….a 1/28th Camel). Ergo first LSP biplane, first attempt at rigging , first time I’ve bought brass tubing and used it , first time I’ve bought and used a pin vice and drill bits thinner than most of my remaining hairs, first time I’ve made my own decals, and definitely the first time I’ve posted a model on the internet .

What I have learnt ….it’s a lot flipping harder than it looks ! Rebuilding is probably a lot harder than making a better hash of it first time around . Plan more, rather than push on and then have to redo things later. Use the correct size monofilament , 0.30 was a bit too big, have a jig to align stuff better , buy a magnifying lamp for the next one ….ah… shed loads really .

Anyway , not going to win any prizes but just a cheers to all on here for re invigorating my enthusiasm by showing their work and sharing their expertise . On the way is an Academy Camel , which again will be a bit more on the learning curve, following the builds shown here and elsewhere , hopefully with more success than this one .

Finally the Moth represents the plane used in the film the English Patient, a favourite film of mine. G-AFFC is the fictional number painted on the Tiger Moth used by Alemasi as he gets shot down in the opening scenes. Sadly no Kristen Scott Thomas to sit in mine though “sigh” .

DSCF1777.jpg DSCF1776.jpg DSCF1775.jpg DSCF1768.jpg DSCF1766.jpg

And the one from the film

l_116209_d57418d9.jpg

Neat looking Tiger Moth PW.

Thanks for taking the time to share your work, I've enjoyed seeing it. Interesting choice of scheme too. It makes a change from the more common yellow and/or cammo versions. :speak_cool:

Glad you enjoyed the experience and learnt some stuff.

Now that you've "popped your cherry" so to speak maybe you'll share a work in progress? Getting feedback from everyone here is a great way to pick up tips and learn even more cool stuff.

Cheers,

Guy

Yess, i like it, gives you some real feeling towards the Moth in the movie, and also some artistic freedom in finishing it to your hearts content, good show.

Jack.

Thank you all for the kind comments . I was a bit 50/50 to take the plunge and post anything up so glad I did . A beginner friendly forum!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

To answer the questions ; the weathering was just colourwashes in sand yellow acrylic paint, I was working on the assumption that the canvas would get muckier, more sand blasted and bleached than the metal parts over time .

I initialy did the lettering using the paper mask method as outlined on the forum main page, which worked very well, although they were the wrong style of font on reflection after painting . I also then realised that I wouldn't be able to cut masks small enough for the fuse reg, and so bought some decal paper and inkjet/ laquered it . And that was a easier that I thought too !.

cheers all .

Edited by Panzerwomble