F-4G Wild Weasel conversion

Derek B

Hi all,

I have a few thoughts on the conversions that I'd like to throw in. Feel free to throw them back out! :D

First, sign me up for a set of APS-107 antennae!

For an F-4G conversion for the Tamiya F-4E kit, I think Cutting Edge had the right idea with most of the parts in their set. You could do the entire conversion plug & play, so the modeler doesn't have to cut anything. The G cockpit parts could be made to just replace the kit parts, as necessary. Same with the antenna fairings for the nose & tail. The rest of the antennae and the actuator fairings for the inboard slats just scab onto the fuselage. CE had the right idea in completely replacing the outer wing panels, since this would be easier than grafting on new leading edges and wing tips to the kit parts, then rescribing the whole thing. CE just screwed up the execution of these parts, so they didn't fit, and the shapes of the outboard slats and wing fences weren't quite right. They also had to make things unnecessarily complicated by having the slats extended. Replacing the entire outer wing panel would also allow you to correct the angle of the Tamiya kit's parts. I think all of the F-4Gs had the reinforcement straps on the belly. One of the more knowledgeable folks here can confirm. You could hook up with Nautilus Models for some of their vinyl straps for his bit.

If you make the slat parts for the F-4G as above, you'd then have an easy conversion set for a slatted F-4E, too. I'd suggest including other common F-4E upgrades, such as the ARN-101 antenna and associated cockpit mods, TISEO, and whatever other antenna updates they made for slatted jets. I'd make the TISEO similar in design to the one in the 1/48 Hasegawa F-4E, so it just slides onto the wing, rather than having the modeler cut a big notch in the wing, like CE had you do. That way, an F-4E upgrade set would be plug & play, too.

This is beyond the scope of this thread, but once you have the outer wing panels made for slats, you could also make a quick and easy F-4S conversion for the Tamiya F-4J by including Navy-style outer slats, longer wing fences, and a lip to go along the underside of the inboard part of the wings' leading edge to represent the S's different inboard slat. The Nautilus wing straps would also be required, but I don't think there would be any mods required for the cockpit. Guys, feel free to correct me on this one. I'll be happy to provide F-4S walk around photos if you're interested.

For the Revell kit, I'd suggest keeping the fixes for the nose, intakes, etc. separate from the actual F-4G conversion. Many modelers are OK with the Revell kit's issues and would just want the basic parts to convert it to a G. My own thoughts would be that if I want an accurate long-nose F-4, I'd just spend the extra $$$ for a Tamiya kit instead of a lot of time, effort, and $$$ to get the Revell kit up to speed.

I'm looking forward to what you come up with for the Tamiys kits!

Cheers!

Ben

Thank you Ben. all good stuff here and well noted (I'll have to find out what an APS-107 antenna is now!:lol:). It is difficult to please everyone, which is why I need to understand - from a modeller's point of view - what they are happy to by and use to upgrade their kits. I appreciate you very sensible views, and I do indeed intend to make most - if not all - of the things you have mentioned.

I will, at some point, have to prioritise exactly what items to make. It looks like I will have to go down the road of specific conversion parts for both Tamiya and Revell kits for conversions like the F-4B and G. In parallel, there wille be other more generic parts that are applicable equally to both kit makes. Finally, there may be specific correction sets for the Revell kit which will correct things like canopy depth, etc (and Tamiya - if any are identified).

Regards

Derek

Derek,

If you master the small 'diamond' antennae, and 'shoes' on the lower ones, that were fitted around the nose barrel as a separate 'mini set' I'm sure you'll have plenty of takers as many 'vanilla' F-4Ds had these fitted between 1969 and 1973, as part of their original APS-107 RHAWS gear for combat duty. I includesd a head-on shot of an F-4D with these fitted on the CD I've mailed to you (identical to those used on the F-4C Weasels in terms of external engineering) as encouragement/reference. Pretty much anyone wanting to do a Udorn or Ubon F-4D from that era will need these for their F-4D too, if they want accuracy in 1/32.

tony t

Would be very interested in this also. I'm planning on building my F-4D into a gun ship ( Gunfighters) out of Udorn..............Harv

Would be very interested in this also. I'm planning on building my F-4D into a gun ship ( Gunfighters) out of Udorn..............Harv

Man, what have I started here!...Looks like I will have a huge list of Phantom master pattern parts to make soon...OK Harv, they are on the list!

Derek

well Derek

what ever you do for Rhino, i'm in for a couple of sets of each. last i checked i had over 50 unbuilt 1/32 Rhino kits. and my friend Joe L. has over 70 of them. so he will be in it to. :deadhorse:

Glen :piliot:

All these Phantom threads :wacko: not too sure if this is the right one, but a Pave Spike is immanent http://www.isradecal.com/?storeid=110&view=products&id=505299

and is that one of them ALQ-119 thingies..? http://www.isradecal.com/?storeid=110&view=products&id=505298

Israeli F-4Es used Pave Spike so it was only a matter of time... I'm going to buy one for my longing-to-finish F-4D from the 457th Spads at Carswell, Texas.

The 'thingy' is indeed an ALQ-119 ECM pod - looks like Isradecals got there first.

tony t

Edited by Tony T

well Derek

what ever you do for Rhino, i'm in for a couple of sets of each. last i checked i had over 50 unbuilt 1/32 Rhino kits. and my friend Joe L. has over 70 of them. so he will be in it to. :deadhorse:

Glen :piliot:

Wow!, that is a lot of Phantoms!:punk:(and here I am struggling with only three kits to try and use as templates for everything!).

Thanks Glen (and Joe) for your support - if someone like you guys would want to buy my stuff, then that is praise indeed! (looks like there is no turning back now!).

Cheers

Derek

All these Phantom threads :wacko: not too sure if this is the right one, but a Pave Spike is immanent http://www.isradecal...ducts&id=505299

and is that one of them ALQ-119 thingies..? http://www.isradecal...ducts&id=505298

Thanks Andy for keeping sentry on the battlements whilst this Phantom madness is going on all around us!:)

Looks like I need to concentrate on the Pave Knife then?

Cheers

Derek

All these Phantom threads :wacko: not too sure if this is the right one, but a Pave Spike is immanent http://www.isradecal.com/?storeid=110&view=products&id=505299

and is that one of them ALQ-119 thingies..? http://www.isradecal.com/?storeid=110&view=products&id=505298

Anyone do an ALQ-131?

I have a folder with a few photos..Is it needed?