F-111's as landfill? Ohh yes they did!

Ads

Just goes to show that no matter which government is making the decisions they are just as stupid at making them as the other guys

191570-f111s-dumped-near-ipswich.jpg

Here is the link to the story - i know they are hulks but seriously? i have seen a lot of pole planes in worse shape - i did like the pre shading on the grey ones though...rolleyes.gif

The story

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/video/watch/27389757/

Ads

Edited by Ads

Hello fellows,

It has been covered on a few other forums and I gather from reading those the reason for burying them was due to the existence of dangerous chemicals or components that made it impossible or highly costly to extract the hazardous materials from the airframes. Therefore the decision was made to use them as landfill. There were quite a few distributed as museum and displays.

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor

Guys,

The RAAF has 7 complete airframes up for grabs. For the rest, it had to happen due to US Military requirements and extremely hazardous materials. Another typical media beat up containing little truth!!!

You can tell that the powers that be have no regard for aircraft. These aircraft carried out thousands of missions and returned their crews safely and preserved the peace... any real pilot would treat his mount like a war horse, stroking her and talking softly before and after a sortie... and return her to the stable to fight another day.... not dumping her in a dishonourable grave to meet an end like this. How disrespectful. You can't tell me that reclaiming valuable metal from these airframes was too costly and hazardous?? That is complete BS... if memory serves me correctly, the entire wing box on these birds was made from machined titanium billets.... and cast steel bearing housings. Hell, they could have processed these airframes over years. I just hope that the idiots who made the decision to do this will have their bodies treated in similar disrespect when their time is up... I just hope Australia never finds itself in a situation in the future where they wish they would still have these war horses available.

I hate politicians...

Alan

Ps. Don't forget that these machines were manufactured in the early to mid 70's and the airframes contained a higher metal count than aircraft that are manufactured today... just wait and watch what disposal methods will be used when the first B787 are scrapped... or, for that matter the new F-18E/F which have a very high content of composites and carbon fibre.

Edited by alaninaustria

"Note this State Government advertisement, warning against illegal dumping, that initially appeared beside this particular online report. Quite poetic really.."

- Typical hey Wumm!

I am just sad such a great aircraft met such an inglorious end - especially these as they were near me as a kid and used to pop over the school - we loved it!

its just a shame that is all -

Ads

Hej Steve, very interesting to read about the toxic problems... I didn't know that! Did the USAF also have similar problems? I still can't grasp the concept of placing toxic aircraft in a landfill site.... I wouldn't want to drink from the ground water in that area in say 25 years!

Cheres

Alan

Wet wings are nothing new... hell, the techs on my machines crawl into the what space they can to apply sealants to the wing tanks!!!!!!

Edited by alaninaustria

You can tell that the powers that be have no regard for aircraft. These aircraft carried out thousands of missions and returned their crews safely and preserved the peace... any real pilot would treat his mount like a war horse, stroking her and talking softly before and after a sortie... and return her to the stable to fight another day.... not dumping her in a dishonourable grave to meet an end like this. How disrespectful. You can't tell me that reclaiming valuable metal from these airframes was too costly and hazardous?? That is complete BS... if memory serves me correctly, the entire wing box on these birds was made from machined titanium billets.... and cast steel bearing housings. Hell, they could have processed these airframes over years. I just hope that the idiots who made the decision to do this will have their bodies treated in similar disrespect when their time is up... I just hope Australia never finds itself in a situation in the future where they wish they would still have these war horses available.I hate politicians...AlanPs. Don't forget that these machines were manufactured in the early to mid 70's and the airframes contained a higher metal count than aircraft that are manufactured today... just wait and watch what disposal methods will be used when the first B787 are scrapped... or, for that matter the new F-18E/F which have a very high content of composites and carbon fibre.

They do have regard for this Aircraft Alain! 7+ airframes have been put aside for future generations. I really don't think that having 20+ aircraft sitting around Australia will be of any greater benifit to the community than the seven already earmarked.

The entire Wing Carry Through Box is actually D6AC Alloy containing various metals including titanium. Do you also understand the maintenance manhours required to keep the Pigs flying?? 180hrs for 1 hour in the air!! A big part of the RAAF's budget.

Sorry mate but really, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Phill

ex RAAF A/Tech 20yrs

Edited by Mustang137

Extract from Defence.....

Minister for Defence Materiel – Iconic F-111 fighter jets seek new homes

23 November 2011

Minister for Defence Materiel Jason Clare today released the Request for Offer (RFO) for up to seven retired F-111 fighter jets that will be made available on loan to Australian aircraft museums and other historical organisations.

Mr Clare announced in September that up to seven F-111s will be made available on loan to Australian aircraft museums and other historical organisations.

The release of the Request for Offer is the next step in that process.

“Following their retirement in December last year, aircraft museums and historical organisations around the country contacted me expressing strong interest in displaying the F-111,” Mr Clare said.

“We are offering these iconic aircraft for loan so as many Australians as possible can see the supersonic long range F-111Cs that protected Australian skies for nearly four decades.”

The aircraft will be loaned to museums so that Defence can continue to manage the risk of hazardous material in the aircraft like asbestos and will be subject to a number of conditions to ensure the safe preservation of the aircraft.

These conditions include:

Housing the aircraft in a completely enclosed facility;

Ensuring members of the public are prevented from climbing into engine intakes and exhaust ducts;

Limiting, controlling and supervising public access to the cockpit;

Preventing the public from opening aircraft panels;

Supervising public access to the wheel well and weapons bays;

Completing specified preservation maintenance; and

Meeting Commonwealth auditing and reporting requirements.

As the aircraft were produced in the United States, organisations selected to display the aircraft will be subject to the approval of the US Government under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations.

The Request for Offer information will be available through the AUSTENDER website tenders.gov.au with reference DMOASD/Other175/2011.

The Request for Offer will close on 28 March 2012. The RFO documentation required to respond to the RFO can only be obtained by emailing F-111Loan.RFO@defence.gov.au .

Queries relating to the RFO documentation and process should be directed to the RFO Contact Officer on email: F-111Loan.RFO@defence.gov.au or phone: 07 5361 8124.

F-111 aircraft will also be preserved at the following RAAF Bases across Australia:

RAAF Base Amberley, QLD (two aircraft);

RAAF Museum at Point Cook, VIC (two aircraft);

RAAF Base Edinburgh, SA (one aircraft); and

RAAF Base Wagga, NSW (one aircraft).

Imagery is available at http://images.defence.gov.au/fotoweb/Grid.fwx?archiveId=5003=&search=11120845