Hobbyboss Spitfire - looking for online builds or reviews with pics

nmayhew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

Thanks for taking the time and putting that article together. It's appreciated.

Cheers

Brad :)

Yup. I agree wholeheartedly. Very enjoyable read and the degree of your research showed even if 99% of it had to be omitted on the page. Really well done Nick

Thanks Matty

eh?

Sorry for the confusion. It was clear that Nick had done an awful lot of research. One sentence might convey an interesting fact but it can't convey how much work and research went into the topic in general. Very ice-berg ish. 99% of the research that goes into a review like that can't be put on the page. An lot of distilled effort.

Recognised and apppreciated

Matty

I'd like to add my thanks for this review, too.

Seems as if the kit ain't that bad, as some of the first callouts on the net made me believe. Its no Tamiya, but therefore I can afford to buy one, and maybe even a second one... :)

Because of the review I picked up a couple of them at the last Squadron sale. They had the Vb for $30 each. The Vb/trop's were for more and since they are more inaccurate with the early canopy I passed on them. I did pull out a Hasegawa later canopy to see if it would work on the Hobbyboss kit. It will not without some work. Hobbyboss cut out the fuselage for their early canopy so some curved plastic fill-in work would be needed to sit the Hasegawa canopy on.

So I will be building an early Vb - and seeing if the new-tool Revell Spit II wings will fit on the Hobbyboss fuselage!

I've got that Trop here too. My problem is that I do want to model it as a Trop with that huge Vokes filter, so do I fix the canopy issue, or just model it with all the Eduard I have for that kit? Seems that I really would need the HobbyBoss windscreen for the regular Vb, or face all sorts of transplant issues.

Sorry for the confusion. It was clear that Nick had done an awful lot of research. One sentence might convey an interesting fact but it can't convey how much work and research went into the topic in general. Very ice-berg ish. 99% of the research that goes into a review like that can't be put on the page. An lot of distilled effort.

Recognised and apppreciated

Matty

Ah, I see. I suppose an annotated version would be easier to read for the regular visitor. I could ramble for ages about a subject, at the risk of it becoming a snore-fest!

• 2 weeks later...

(Derek Bradshaw's one is coming...supoposedly...but Ed's is already here).

Hi Nick,

Supposedly?...It will definately be released (it is advertised as the next forthcoming release on my website), but I am not Eduard, so cannot match their speed of production!

You are correct about the Hobbyboss bomb carrier - it is pretty dire. Unfortunately, Eduards bomb carrier is only available as part of the Spitfire Vb external detail set - expensive if you only want the carrier. It is also a strange mixture of the Mk.II and Mk.III universal carrier types?

Mine is a true Mk.III universal bomb carrier as used on Mk.V Spitfires onwards, but as it is completely resin, and is therefore very delicate, with very fine detailing - hence the additional time required to engineer and produce it.

Regards

Derek

Thanks Nick, your review is certainly very thorough and actually very useful as a guide to building any MkV Trop as per chance I'm building an almost OOB Hasegawa Mk Vb Trop at present as part of a duo build with one of our sons staying with us over the Christmas break (he's nabbed one of my Hasegawa P51D for an OOB build). I've found it useful in filling in several pieces of information I've missed so thanks again.

Cheers Brent

Edited by branchline