HELLDIVER!

big matt

With regard to the Monomail question, the Old Troll fails open on that one. I have never seen a model of the Boeing 200/221/221A in any medium. That's a real shame because it was a particularly attractive and technologically advanced aircraft in its time.

Thank you Tomek and Ron for checking. It was worth a shot. I'd still just about kill for a Monomail in any scale or medium. It doesn't make any sense that no one has done one. Then again, no one has done a Boeing B-9 except in a simple vacuform version, by Formaplane if I recall correctly. Sorry for the slight hijactk, Matt. Now get back to work!

Regards,

Jason

Apage, bad modeling spirits! Stay back, I need all the help I can get! Thanks Tomek, I feel better now.

Thanks Peter, only hint is 35" inch span, multi-media, semi-scratchbuilt, fully camouflaged, timeless twin. Monkeys and rubber trees had better look out! :evil_laugh:

Thanks Christian. I have no count on the pieces so far but might guess at around 200. Still a LONG way to go. Good idea on a stand. I find my work place shrinks in on me whenever I build so that all off cuts and tools circle my project like a band of wild indians. I need to measure this thing as it is getting bigger all the time. It will be a beast for sure. I will try to get a sense of scale in the next update.

No prob on the jack Jason. I was curious myself.

Oh man, Richard, I am really tempted by the metal but hate using CA. I feel safer with plastic but am thinking of leading edges in metal. I still need a source for lithographers aluminum sheet. That stuff is awesome. I just have a few pieces Ironwing gave me.

It was 110 deg f in my shop yesterday and might not be any better today so work is slowing appreciably. Heat is supposed to break this weekend. I hope.

Cheers!

Apage, bad modeling spirits! Stay back, I need all the help I can get! Thanks Tomek, I feel better now.

Thanks Peter, only hint is 35" inch span, multi-media, semi-scratchbuilt, fully camouflaged, timeless twin. Monkeys and rubber trees had better look out! :evil_laugh:

Thanks Christian. I have no count on the pieces so far but might guess at around 200. Still a LONG way to go. Good idea on a stand. I find my work place shrinks in on me whenever I build so that all off cuts and tools circle my project like a band of wild indians. I need to measure this thing as it is getting bigger all the time. It will be a beast for sure. I will try to get a sense of scale in the next update.

No prob on the jack Jason. I was curious myself.

Oh man, Richard, I am really tempted by the metal but hate using CA. I feel safer with plastic but am thinking of leading edges in metal. I still need a source for lithographers aluminum sheet. That stuff is awesome. I just have a few pieces Ironwing gave me.

It was 110 deg f in my shop yesterday and might not be any better today so work is slowing appreciably. Heat is supposed to break this weekend. I hope.

Cheers!

I know what it is ,but I`m not tell`n :)

Very inspirational build Matt! This thing is really going to be incredible when done! Regarding skinning, perhaps you could use Russ' method that he used with his Flying Pancake :)

Cheers,

Doug

Thanks for keepin it under yer hat Willi!

Thanks for the kind words Doug, I appreciate it. Russ' builds are a constant source of inspiration and I have reviewed the flapjack numerous times. The double skin way he did it is the way I will do some sections for sure. Mainly around the cockpit area. It is going to be a real challenge.

Christian, I took a quick wingspan measurement and this beast comes in at 18" or about 46cm! The 1/32 P-47D is only 16". Holy COW!

Ok, the heat broke and I was able to stand it in the shop for a while. The interior is kind of like that kids game Operation. Lots of fun with the tweezers and thinking about how on earth I am gonna paint.

Made the pilots O2 regulator and hose as well as the bag it ran to for storage.

f85a7f6e.jpg

Fuel tank and some of the lines. Most of it will be hidden by the life raft tube and solid canopy section of the -4. I got it close but went crazy trying to keep things straight.

5fe72b4b.jpg

5227acda.jpg

One problem I encountered was the way the paper kit is engineered. They have an abundance of ribs where there should be stringers. Ii seemed easier to run strips between the ribs to simulate this rather than try to keep it all aligned on the outer skin.

46d66ef9.jpg

This is how it is starting to look in the rear cockpit.

2dc5b79c.jpg

01907b11.jpg

e4583ceb.jpg

d7fd5dc7.jpg

42358c8d.jpg

A long way to go. I think a thin skin to seal up the cockpit areas once I finish the radios and other junk then it's time to do a little painting. Maybe.

Looking good Matt! Knowing what you've done in your Hellcat, I'm confident the interior will look great. I can see the problems with painting it ... it will be a tough cookie, but you'll manage.

As for the ribs and stringers, a paper kit has the advantage of print simulating three-dimensional objects. If I see it correctly in my copy of the kit, the stringers are simply printed. I wonder, maybe it's because the ribs were more prominent and thicker then stringers :hmmm: . Anyway, even though it's the high end kit, it still has some simplifications to appeal to a larger group of modelers, I guess. Don't complain, model on!

:beer:

Edited by Tomek

Fast progress Matt, you sure don't hang around do you?

The details are looking superb but I think the painting stage will be a challenge. I can't quite figure out how you'll get into all of the little nooks and crannies but I'm confident you'll pull it off with aplomb. :goodjob:

I remain as fascinated as ever. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the great support guys. This has become an addictive build for me. It started as a proof of concept so that I could try some other projects but it is taking on a life of it's own. I am pleased that you guys are enjoying it. I hope it comes out close to how I see it in my head.

Tomek, geedub, the painting is going to be tricky for sure. I do know that I will only be able to paint what can be seen so there will be little wasted. I have a few ideas but the overall scheme is pretty much green and black. I am hopeful that it will be ok.

Tomek, no complaints about the kit. I was glad to have a different option as I did not see an easy way to do the sidewalls as the kit wanted. I saw what they were going for and have seen what you paper guys have done with it and knew my limitations so I cheated a bit.

Hey Mark, sorry to hear about your masking and riveting problems. I know you will pull it off. Sometimes we get lemons... I think the handle came from the Dragon 110 but can't be sure. The lower parts came from the Trumpy Hun, I think.

Hey Dan, sometimes, in my case, bold can be substituted with stupid. I am glad that you are enjoying it and hope I make mistakes that we can learn from.

Thanks Cees, glad you like it so far!

Thanks Peter, when are we gonna see some more of that jug??? How bout the big Cat?

Willi, I want color on this thing more than anyone. My bench looks like a plastic snowstorm struck!

Ok, I hated the stringers I had installed so I cut them all off. I changed to "t" stock for a couple reasons. 1, it looked better from the top down. 2, it provides a larger glue surface for the skin. 3, it ended up being easier to install. 4, it significantly improved the rigidity of the fuselage.

5823b0b4.jpg

0992a504.jpg

I chose to go with larger stock on the non cockpit sections as it was stronger and provided an even larger glue area.

42ce04f0.jpg

I also dug out my Dad's old building board for an upcoming secret project. What memories! It even has the faint hint of Ambroid wafting up from the dust...

03289b4a.jpg

8916c4d9.jpg

For anyone who cares, this is my entire stash. Most of the kits are old school but there are a few new ones too. I generally don't collect too much as I prefer to build. There is one missing though, I have been fondling the parts for my Skoshi Tiger as my Belcher Bits parts arrived last week. Still waiting on some goodies the lhs ordered for that one also. I kind of bounce around a bit but the choices are limited and I do get back to stalled projects eventually.

Thanks for looking in on my mess.

Cheers!

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Confession Time

I've been sanding and scribing the hours away on the Jug and progress seems painfully slow. Hopefully by this weekend, I'll be posting some much over due photos.

My Panther project was on hold for a long time, d to a monstrous screw up on my part. :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: It just sat there for months on end, while I figured out how to fix it. Well, I finally did but it will have to wait until the Jug is completed and then it's back to Navy Blue.

Peter

The t-shaped stringers look much better and I can see the benefits of using it. Great choice.

Also nice move to put wider stringers everywhere else. Who cares how the structure looks, the point is to make it sturdy and easy to skin. Good thinking Matt!

:popcorn:

ps. I envy your working space. Very nice ... :crying:

Edited by Tomek