HELLDIVER!

big matt

I must say, it feels like watching a good suspense movie. I badly want you to succeed and before clicking on each update, I'm afraid to see the build taking some kind of bad turn. I think I'm scared of skinning this baby more than you, hahahah. More power to you Matt!!! Looking good, and I can see the Helldiver without spinning and squinting :speak_cool:

Edited by Tomek

Matt......I'm loving this :speak_cool: ...its the sort of crazy thing I would do!!...I have skinned aircraft with card before but you would have to do panel by panel! and then coat the whole thing with diluted PVA glue.....just a thought !...keep at it mate...fantastic to watch.

WOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!! I can't believe I didn't trip on this earlier. I can't believe what you're pulling off here with plastic, and I can barely pull off a box in styrene without something breaking. Please, keep going. Can't wait to see where this build can go, we need a 1/32 Helldiver kit out there in plastic.... I know I'd buy one.

Matt :party0023:

Thanks guys!!!

C'mon Harv, give it a go! I guarantee a splitting headache in no time!

Don't jinx me Tomek! Only good thoughts buddy. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestion Fozzy. I am really open to everything at this point.

Hey Matt, if you come to the shop you can trip on all the plastic on the floor. Plastruct is getting rich off me for all the waste I have. You know as soon as I finish this thing Trumpygawa will put one out.

Ok, this baby's got a BIG tail! :blink:

42ac7126.jpg

c62f3780.jpg

46575280.jpg

a2cb5262.jpg

I am throwing in a lot of pics so the amount of structure provided in the paper kit can be seen. I have only added a little reinforcement here and there to stiffen up the thinner sections in an attempt to keep the look where I want it. The rear bulkhead and armor plate for the pilot is around 8 pieces. I am thinking that Halinski might make a few bucks by printing the paper kit onto the correct thickness plastic sheet. Maybe a little laser cutting and you could really have one of these things built pretty quick. I wonder if there is a way to scan and then print it onto plastic ourselves?

7bd78fb0.jpg

I am pleased that the dihedral and tail are in alignment. That was a big worry. Now that the main parts of the wing and fuselage are together, it still looks ok.

819b2868.jpg

I think I need a bit of a break again. Maybe start on something with lots of bombs on it... Still waiting for my new secret ebay score to show up...

Matt, if you've gotten everything aligned, that's a huge battle won. That would be my worry; that a small misalignment at the beginning would translate into a big misalignment when I'm getting ready to finish the model, and of course I wouldn't notice it until I'm ready to finish the model. It looks like yours is coming along very nicely. What I'd like to do in 1/32 scale would be a Monomail - does anyone know of a card model of this; for that matter has anyone ever done a kit in any medium of this very important aeroplane?

Regards,

Jason

It looks great. The structure is not far off an R/C aircraft build. The real challenge is going to be sheeting it. I am very, very interested on how you address this challenge as I have several projects that this method of building would make a realization. I am really enjoying this build. :speak_cool:

Ron

Aaaarrrgghhhhh! You guys are killing me! My poor fingers are sanded to nubs. :frantic:

Well, maybe I can do some cockpit details. My reference materials are not here yet for my concurrent build.

Ron, sheeting is getting closer and there are several ideas kicking around. I have a front runner but need to try it out. The idea I have in mind would allow me to scribe and rivet on a flat surface and then apply it to the framework. I hope it will pan out.

Jason, I will ask our resident paper guru and maybe he has a source. I am finding that all paper models do not have the level of necessary structure to make a project like this easy enough for me.

Sir Phil says, "slow and steady wins the race"

slow and steady wins the race

slow and steady wins the race

slow and steady wins the race...

I apologize Matt, my comment was NOT intended to bring any bad luck. I'm repeating: "positive thoughts, positive thoughts ..."

I'll send you my lucky modeling charm to make it up ;) . While you're waiting, just spin three times, rub your nose vigorously, throw behind a pinch of salt and say five times: "Apage, bad modeling spirits!" . Should help :P

What I'd like to do in 1/32 scale would be a Monomail - does anyone know of a card model of this; for that matter has anyone ever done a kit in any medium of this very important aeroplane?

Probably OldTroll would be a better source of this kind of information than me. Personally, I'm not aware of any paper kit of Monomail. I'm sorry Jason...

Edited by Tomek

Dear Matt,

Very impressive build so far. :m0152: Great job!

How many individual pieces have you cut and shaped to get here so far?

How big is this plane? Looks pretty big!

Alignment is very difficult on scratch builds; I really struggle to get alignment correct.

I often build a display stand that the plane can sit on while I build parts, take measurements, install parts, etc. I find that I can take measurements, level and square the plane easier on a display stand. This just the way I often work.

One fantastic big, can not believe how far you have come.

Regards,

Christian :speak_cool:

With regard to the Monomail question, the Old Troll fails open on that one. I have never seen a model of the Boeing 200/221/221A in any medium. That's a real shame because it was a particularly attractive and technologically advanced aircraft in its time.