Arado 196 A-3

miamiangler

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone !

It`s been a while since Iposted any thing . I like the new look to the Forum ! I was at the Nats this weekend in Orlando .So I got the bug to start up my Arado 196 build . I have a new camera so I hope the photo`s will be of better quality . I started work on the pilots wind screen which is a real pain to put together .Tonight I`m finishing the last of the clear parts which are a night mare to put together . I should have photo`s of that part soon . .While at the Nats I did find the Ar-196 buggy (32061 ) . it will be one of the builds in the very near future .

I also could not pass up the resin Arado 196 from HPH . It is a very nice kit with great detail . it take care of all the Revell short comings .

DSCN0440.jpg

DSCN0443.jpg

DSCN0444.jpg

DSCN0446.jpg

Thanks ,

Willi

Guest Peterpools

HI Willi

Just catching up and glad to see your back working on the Arado. Noting like terrible fitting glass to ruin your day. Nice going on conquering the glass.

Peter

Hi Kevin ,

I like that Idea ,keep the kit it does build up nice .I`ve seen a photo of a guy on a ladder in the water working on the wing . I read some were on this site about making a diorama with the Arado along side the Bismark. I liked that idea but it would be to huge :) .

Willi

Edited by miamiangler

Hi Peter ,

Being at the Nats was the spark I need to start up my projects . My weekends I have been doing lots of fishing diving and boating . Not much time in the model room . I also have a WW1 project (contest)on Swannys .com that`s kept me busy .

Willi

I got all the glass on the Ar 196 . Glad thats over . The only tab that still shows alittle is the one on the rear windscreen .If I can get another set I might try fixing it again .

I will be using the decals from the HPH kit and do 7R+BK from the 2./SAGr 125 Crete ,1941 the shield that comes with the kit is a double seahorse.There is one photo I found in the Kagero book #45 page 40 with the A/C in which the seahorse shield was used .Then there is a shield with an Albatros and lion on the same A/C in 1942 Athens ,Greece. I like that shield the best but there`s no decals for that scheme .If anyone knows away I can get that shield made it would be much appreciated.

DSCN0447.jpg

DSCN0448.jpg

DSCN0449.jpg

DSCN0450.jpg

Thanks ,

Willi

I got all the glass on the Ar 196 . Glad thats over . The only tab that still shows alittle is the one on the rear windscreen .If I can get another set I might try fixing it again .

Hi.

Wow really nice. Got a question for you if you don't mind. How did you get rid of the tabs on the clear parts so well ? (you did a GREAT job !!)

Never mind, I just went and read the thread thoroughly. Still I'm wondering, you just filled the notches where the tabs were supposed to go with superglue ? I assume you used gel CA ? How did you get it to stay/or be clear ? (mine almost always becomes a slight hazy look) You did that good of a job, hence my asking.

I was thinking about cutting the tabs off or using pva glue or future to *glue* them in and sand.

The Ar 196 is my next build and this is the one part that's got me stumped.

Thanks

Allan

Edited by necron99

Hi Alan ,

With the clear parts . Before you sand the tabs down it is better to cover all the parts with masking tape .That way you dont put more dlemishes on the clear areas . Then you very carefully sand the tabs down as far as you can and replace any tape that gets damaged. When you are satisfied with the way the clear parts look I would then use lots of water and a polishing stick. You may have to do it a few times ! Before you use the CA to fill the holes the parts have to be dipped in future . Then be careful with the CA . I did mess up one set already :(. I would order a set from Revell just to be on the safe side !Gluing the parts with future works but it is not too strong .HTH

Willi

Well I got some work done on the flaps and alerons by putting the lightining holes on the parts. Tonight I will add some rivet holes to the wings in some places since I didn not rivet the whole plane I`ll just do the hatchs and things .

DSCN0455.jpg

Thanks ,

Willi

Edited by miamiangler

Only just read through your build. Very very nice... I've got this kit with all the details, but love what you have done yourself.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Jeroen, I t`s too late to fix mine but check the tail on the Revell.

If you have the Topdrawings #14 you will see the Revell tail is a little short in the width.

Willi