Arado 196 A-3

miamiangler

Thanks to everyone who recently replied to my post.

Shawn I hope some of what I have done on my kit will help you along with your build . I am totally addicted to this plane , It`s been great weather here in Florida and instead of going fishing in my boat I`m staying indoors building plastic.:doh:

Well here`s lots more photo`s of what I have done this week, I have started putting the floats together . But before you put the bottom half together it is best to do all the rigging . I used cable for my rigging . It is called TyGer leader .The smallest dia is .006.

I added #9 shot to the lower half for weight .

196002-1.jpg

In back ground you can see the top half together just before the rigging. BTW there are two 1LBS weights on top .I wanted to see if it would hold up .:D

196009.jpg

Here it is with color , the centers of the rigging were tied together with small dia. wire.

willie013.jpg

Here is a close up of the rings that go on all 4 posts. I had an old Fotocut O ring set and used eye bolts from HO scale (model rail road)

willie014.jpg

Here`s the ring that goes on the back side of each float .

willie017.jpg

The front tie downs I made from scrap PE.

196024-1.jpg

The foot hold on the second step was made from flat brass rod . The photo`s I have seen have it on the right side . Eduard shows it on the left . Have`nt found photo`s showing the foot hold there .

willie015.jpg

Well thanks for looking there`s more to come soon .

Willi

Thanks Tomek,

I look at every piece as a small model and try to make it better if I can. I am used to building 1/48th scale which is 99% of my models . Finding this forum has opened up a new world of modeling to me .

I hit one block and can`t seem to find much information on the wiring for the back of the engine .I want to keep both doors open .So if anyone has any idea`s ,I`m open to them!

This is the site I used for my exterior detail .There`s a vid on U-tube but the walkaround photo`s you can pick up more detail

Http://www.historicflight.cz

Here`s another update ,I worked on the radiator by opening up the back end .Adding wire mesh and plastic .

willie019.jpg

willie021.jpg

I wrapped the radiator with 4mm wide scrap PE ,plastic did not work as well . Hint .save all the pieces of PE scrap it can be used for many things .

willie020.jpg

I also worked on the rear gun and added a little detail to it.

willie022.jpg

willie023.jpg

Here`s some improve ment I have done to the rudders . First was to fill the sink marks .Then added the springs made from lead wire on a plastic rod .I am still thinking of improving the rudder control .I just dont like their shape.

willie018.jpg

Edited by miamiangler

Here`s another update:

I have the main body put together . Did most of the exterior detail ,dropped elevators ,trim tabs moved ,added foothold covers ,and sanded the hatchs .

willie036.jpg

willie033.jpg

willie035.jpg

willie038.jpg

willie030.jpg

willie031.jpg

Edited by miamiangler

Thanks for focusing on these little details. I am saving your pics in a 196 file for when I tackle this kit.

Great work!!!

Thank`s Matt,

The small detail`s are what I am focusing on .In 1/48 I would not go this crazy:). I figured out If I would get all the detail sets plus the kit it would Cost the same as the HpH kit give a few dollars here and there ! .Next one if I build an Arado it again I`m getting the resin kit ! It`s just that you can`t fold the wings on the HpH kit, but the detail is Awesome. I just wish someone would make the trolly for this plane .

Willi

I have the cowling together and have started with airbrushing .The paints being used are Polly Scale . Hard to find ,but one Hobbyshop 30 miles from home stocks most colors . These paints are fairly close to the RLM colors .

willie041.jpg

willie042.jpg

Started to add some detail to the inside of the covers

willie039.jpg

willie040.jpg

Thanks for looking

Willi

Thanks Matt,

I mix a light and dark shade of each color.So I go back and forward with 4 different bottles of color . Since RLM 72&73 are very close it is hard to see in the pic`s but looks better in true light . I Hope to mount the fuse. to the floats this weekend .It all depends how nice it is in the morning .Might go fishing or diving first!

Willi