CyberHobby Bf 109E4

LSP_Ron

Guest Peterpools

Ron

Is it that European kits manufactures are not allowed by law to include Swastikas in their kits? never was really quite sure about that. :huh:

Peter

Ron

Is it that European kits manufactures are not allowed by law to include Swastikas in their kits? never was really quite sure about that. :huh:

Peter

If they want to sell the kit in Europe, they can't provide them. Some of the manufacturers provide them on separate sheets, or just leave them off, to avoid the legal trouble.

Matt :party0023:

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Matt for the explaination. Are AF decals with Swastikas allowed to be sold or is it also against the law?

Peter

Thanks Matt for the explaination. Are AF decals with Swastikas allowed to be sold or is it also against the law?

Peter

My guess is it would fall under the same regulations. Finish roundels with the blue Swastikas for example are as well to be avoided. Though I don't know if this applies to the whole of Europe (I always thought the UK was pretty liberal in this), or if the manufacturers treat Europe as one market, without caring about the different laws, for simplicities sake.

Guest Peterpools

Still sounds confusing. What do the guy do who live in Europe?

Peter :unsure:

Edited by Peterpools

- Leave them off, knowing they should be there.

- Make your own masks.

- Import them yourself. Its rather unlikey that customs are going to pull an envelope with one or two decal sheets

- Have some luck: I bought a Bf-109 sheet of Eagle Strike, and the dealer complied to the laws by placing stickers over the Swastikas on decals, cover sheet and instructions. And I could peel of the sticker without damaging the decals. In earlier years, the same dealer was known to handle the problem with a pair of scissors...

Time for an update. I really don't have any build tips, from here on in I just glued bits on following the instructions. There are still a few things to add yet and this is done.

Overall I am very happy with this kit. I attribute the problems encountered in building it with the cowl closed to crappy instructions. The person who writes Dragon instructions doesn't build models, that I am certain. They have a lot of silly steps like gluing the exhaust manifolds to the cowl when there are no locator taps on the cowl, they are on the engine! or gluing the head armor to the fuse sides rather than the canopy. The instructions have a lousy build sequence and can lead anyone from the novice to expert builder into trouble if followed. That's a shame if you ask me.... same deal with their 110 kit. Great kit, crappy instructions.

P8160001.jpg

P8160002.jpg

P8160007.jpg

P8160003.jpg

P8160005.jpg

P8160006.jpg

Nice build! I like that kit. Very fine rendition of the Emil.

About that swatika issue:

They are prohibited by German law. You are allowed to own them inside your home, but it is prohibited to show Nazi symbols in the public. Only exception is for educational use.

So the Luftwaffen museum at Berlin-Gatow is allowed to exhibit its German WW2 warplanes with full markings, swastikas included, while the IPMS Germany holding it's annual convention inside the same hangar is not. This also expands to Finnish hakaristis (blue swastikas) and - because of the less known difference - to German WW1 airplanes (because its German, so to say) and the latvian ungustkrusts (red swastikas) too. Latvia was a free and democratic country between the great wars, but try to explain this to an average police officer. A few years ago a German modeler made it to the court to tell them that modelling is some kind of education about history too, but he lost the case. So everybody showing German WW2 airplanes in Germany has to leave off the swastikas or to hide them proper.

I. e. to avoid hassle with the custom officials swastikas are left off within any kit for the German market or just for whole Europa. And because Revell of Germany is a German company there are never swastikas inside Revell kits.

Regards!

- dutik