CyberHobby Bf 109E4

LSP_Ron

I was going to start another Tamiya Spit but this kit looked like a fun build.

I plan on doing it as Galland's mount.

20080330194802Bf_109_E-4_JG26_Galland_klein72.jpg

I started the cockpit a few nights ago. I must say this is a very nice kit. So far the detail and fit is great. I used the kit's seat belts, they still need weathering and final positioning etc. I am painting up the engine etc and take pics but plan on sealing it up.

I've seen this kit's cockpit done in RLM 66 and RLM 02. I have no idea which is right as I am not a huge 109 nut. If I were a betting man I would say 66 is right because I chose 02 :doh:

P7140054.jpg

P7140053.jpg

P7140055.jpg

I have to disagree with Jamie and Matt on the RLM02 for the cockpit. Looking at photos of Galland getting out of the cockpit of one of his E4's, it is clear that the canopy framing and parts of the cockpit are a dark color, consistent with RLM66 rather than RLM02. So, depending on which of Galland's werk # one is modeling, there is at least one that I think should be 66.

Futher, looking at photos of other E4/7's cockpits, many of them have the same dark color more consistent with RLM66. My personal belief is that you could have either RLM02 or RLM66 for an E4 cockpit, but most of the ones I have seen in photos appear RLM66 to me.

Sorry for the tangent Ron, just wanted to put down the counter argument for posterity :) Looking forward to your build, will be watching to see how it goes together for you :)

I thought that the rlm directive for 66 did not come until after the E-4. Not 100% on the dates or the extent to which earlier a/c were repainted. My understanding was it became more prevalent after the Luftwaffe got to the Mediterranean and Africa. Always good to learn something new, thanks Doug.

Matt & Doug

You're right - the Dragon 109E is an excellent kit and there are some great builds posted here

Anyway, as far as colours are concerned I thought that you might find the following of interest.

Briefly, the information contained within copies of the relevant RLM & Messerschmitt documentation for the entire 109E, F-0 and earliest F-1 series cockpit interiors specifies 02 with the instrument panel in 66. Even so, a number of cockpit photos of early E-1s clearly show the panel to be in a light colour strongly suggesting that they were finished in either 02 or 41. Both being mentioned for such use in Messerschmitt documents dated March and May 1939 respectively.

As far as a 66 finish for cockpit interiors on single-engined fighters goes, this was not promulgated until late 1941. However, while it is true that some E models did feature cockpits finished entirely in 66, this was simply due to which particular sub-contractor (e.g. Arado, Fieseler etc) built the airframe (regardless of sub-type) and not because of any directive, theatre of operation etc.

For the heavier framed canopy, surviving documentary evidence shows that these were usually painted inside and out in 66 at the source of manufacture. The exterior framework frequently being left in this colour rather than being repainted to match the surrounding camouflage finish and it is believed that this would be the most likely explanation why many 109 E & F models with the heavy framed canopy are often seen with the exterior framework much darker than the adjacent camouflage colour. Likewise, the pilot head armour fitted to the interior canopy framing was also finished in 66.

On the subject of 02; in reality, even the RLM could not guarantee uniformity of this colour between the batches produced by the many paint manufacturers supplying paint to both the aircraft companies and the Luftwaffe. Because of this, between late 1940 and the autumn of 1944, the Technical Office of the RLM issued a number of advisory letters essentially stating that this lack of uniformity was of no importance to interior painting and was thus no reason for complaint. Oddly enough and although it was approved for use as an exterior camouflage colour (Bf 109E, early 109F etc), not one of these advisory letters mentions its use in this latter respect!

So this at least gives you a fair bit of leeway as far as the various hobby paint variations available ;)

Probably more info than you wanted but I hope that you find it of interest.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Dave Wadman

Thanks for the info Dave. I find the rlm paint directives and vagaries interesting, I know it is a sad commentary on my social life.

More updates Ron, I got stuck on this kit and want to see how you handle some on the pitfalls that got me.

I had a really good session last night and got a lot done.

I've finished off the cockpit and added the guns and ammo containers. I didn't paint the colored instrument bezels on the panel, I started to do this but I was having a hard time keeping a steady hand (age? :( ) and didn't want to wreck it.

P7180053.jpg

P7180054.jpg

P7180055.jpg

Dragon would have you glue the lower fuse center piece to the cockpit floor before assembling it into the fuse and gluing the fuse halves together. I am beginning to think who ever writes Dragon's instructions doesn't build models. That assembly sequence does not make sense.

I try to follow a loose rule that you should always glue something when you can assure it's fit to it's final suroundings. The fit of the cockpit floor to lower fuse really doesn't matter so I left the lower piece off.

P7180062.jpg

And glued the fuse halves together making sure not to glue the fuse halves to the gun tray. I wanted to fit the gun cowl first and felt it might be useful to be able to spread the fuse halves apart.

P7180057.jpg

P7180056.jpg

Now the gun cowl. As mentioned earlier I was planing on painting all interior parts but will seal up this engine.

As Doug found in his build, the cowl does not fit properly. It appears Dragon designed this kit with the cowl off.

P7180058.jpg

The first area I found that interferes is the guns and forward cockpit combing. I had to sand them down in the areas shown in yellow.

P7180060.jpg

This did not quite solve the issue. I also had to remove the cowl locating tabs.

P7180059.jpg

P7180061.jpg

After these small mods the cowl fit well.

P7180064.jpg

P7180065.jpg

Now I am playing with the fit on the lower fuse. There are some small adjustments to make to allow a perfect fit. Here is a dry fit

P7180063.jpg

That's lookin' really sharp Ron!

I just love the contrast and crispness of your paintwork.

Dragon is known for making weird sequences in their instructions.

They look great, but I always follow my own path in them.

Will follow this build!

Cheers,

Jeroen