ROYAL AIRCRAFT FACTORY S.E.5.a

fozzy

Hi guys

I have a horrible feeling that no body is watching these posts but I have started so I am going to finish it!!;)

Martin,

i can assure you that many others are like me - i have been following this build and am constantly amazed at what i see!

to be honest, however, your build skills are so way out there compared to mine that there is not a lot i can actually add or contribute, beyond just going "wow". seriously, this is top stuff.

one question re the Vickers MG - do MasterModel not do one of those, or is a pre-requisite for this build that everything is from scratch? just curious, so i looked, and although they have started to do other WWI guns, no Vickers as far as i can see yet.

in awe of your skills and work

Nick

Martin,

i can assure you that many others are like me - i have been following this build and am constantly amazed at what i see!

to be honest, however, your build skills are so way out there compared to mine that there is not a lot i can actually add or contribute, beyond just going "wow". seriously, this is top stuff.

one question re the Vickers MG - do MasterModel not do one of those, or is a pre-requisite for this build that everything is from scratch? just curious, so i looked, and although they have started to do other WWI guns, no Vickers as far as i can see yet.

in awe of your skills and work

Nick

Hi Nick

Firstly ...thank you for your really kind remarks.To answer your question about the Vickers MG.....as much as I enjoy making a plastic model kit occasionally...when ever I scratch build aircraft I always scratch build every single item you see.It is just a personel thing with me really...I mean I feel that if I have gone through the effort of scratch building the cockpit for example then I will automatically go on to build the MGs!...I do get caught out on occasions however and wished that I purchased a certain item :( .......but then that wouldn't be scratch building!!

Thanks again for your in put...happy modelling!:)

Cheers Cees...and your not kidding mate!!

Hi dee Chaps

Well it has taken me a lot longer to come up with something that looks like an instrument panel I have to say!!:(

It took me 2 days ...I think its because it was so small and fidelly!!!but in the end I got there...I hope!

I started with the Instruments themselfs ....here's a photo

se5aplans004-9.jpg

I first cut several discs out of scrap plastic card and then printed off aircraft dials off the internet and glued them onto the discs...I then glued cut discs of clear plastic packaging and glued them over the dials to replicate the glass....as I said this was not easy because of the size :wacko:

..it took me several attempts and decided that this would have to do!!!

Next up was the Panel its self.This was cut from plastic card and you can see in this next photo that I have glued the discs in position.I placed it on the fuselage to see if it fits ok....

se5aplans003-8.jpg

I then took the panel off and added a bit of colour....

se5aplans008-8.jpg

Using this reference photo of the real deal I then tried to copy what I could see on my own panel....(dam!!...I should have pretended that it was my panel!!:P

se5a-walkaround-007_screensize.jpg

....and here is a photo of the panel in the process of being scratch built ,using wire/plastic /coke can etc

se5aplans009-10.jpg

As you can see from the real panel I have still to replicate a compass and a spare magazine box!

Here is what the panel looks like up to date....along with a pesky moth that flew onto the work bench last night....I think it was posing to show the size of the panel!!

se5aplans023-1.jpg

......and here it is without the Moth!!

se5aplans025-2.jpg

The last few photos show the panel put into position to see what it looks like at this stage...............

se5aplans028-1.jpg

se5aplans029-5.jpg

se5aplans027-3.jpg

se5aplans015-5.jpg

Thats it lads.

Its back to the bench now to make a compass and ammo box if I can.

Thanks as always for looking in guys

I can't believe you just scratch build like that the instrument panel :speak_cool:

Can you tell me what kind of adhesive you have used to glue clear plastic to the dial faces?

Hi Tomek

I used UHU Universal glue...it dries clear.I also brushed some Johson Klear over the top to brighten them up a bit!

Thanks for your input :)

Good afternoon Gents.

Here is todays update............I managed to finish the IP except for the MG.

I started with making the Compass,and the first photo is of the parts I made that will make the Compass.

The Compass was just less of 4mm long...:o and so it took me best part of the day yesterday ...spending a lot of time on all fours looking for the dam thing as it kept springing off the tweezers!....oh the joys of scratch building!:rolleyes: .........

se5aplans001-8.jpg

All it is is scrap plastic cut from plastic card....the next photo is of the compass half way built.........

se5aplans004-10.jpg

...........and then finally built before the painting stage......

se5aplans006-6.jpg

...here it painted....

se5aplans009-11.jpg

The compass sat in a kind of recess box...here it is cut from plastic card...

se5aplans003-9.jpg

...and here it is finaly glued at its station!!!.

se5aplans012-5.jpg

Edited by fozzy

The spare Magazine box was built next,painted and glued into position on top of the IP....

se5aplans018-6.jpg

So thats the IP finished...well actually I have just got to do the MG which can be seen on top of the Panel on the left hand side....this I'll have a crack at tomorrow.

I took some snaps with the fuselage top on to see what it looks like looking down in the cockpit and I am quite pleased with the end result....the wife says it looks all cosy in there :rolleyes: ....I think I know what she means!!!...any way here they are....

se5aplans023-2.jpg

se5aplans022-3.jpg

se5aplans021-4.jpg

se5aplans020-3.jpg

On with the MG now to finish this section off.

Thanks to all for looking in...........

Hi there guys

Here is todays update .

To finish off the cockpit I had to make the other half of the MG.Earlier on in this build I replicated a barrell that sits on top of the fuel tank...here is a photo of it to remind those who are interested...

se5aplans022-4.jpg

So I sat down at my work bench and after studying some pictures for a while I commenced to build it.......now....I went a bit overboard on the whole thing as at the end of the day I realised that you won't see much of the detail I have done once the fuselage top is on!!:doh:

and what makes it even worse is that the whole thing is less than 2 cm long!!!........I even went one stage further and made the ammo belt and bin...all that will be totally lost later!!

..........and so I better show you these photos now before it disapears fo ever!!!!:(

se5aplans010-6.jpg

se5aplans013-4.jpg

se5aplans004-11.jpg

se5aplans008-9.jpg

Here is a photo of me holding the barrell on for effect!!!!

se5aplans015-6.jpg

.........and in this last photo it shows that you only see a small part of the MG :(

se5aplans021-5.jpg

So next up before I tackle the engine is the seat belts ...but I have to do a bit more research first as I am not sure what type of harness was used....do any of you guys know?

cheers