ROYAL AIRCRAFT FACTORY S.E.5.a

fozzy

Another great update Martin, and another step forward.

Kev

Cheers Kev...yes I do feel that I am getting somewhere now...Wings will always be a worry in scratch building because they take so long to construct and you have to be so precise else it just won't look right!!

Todays update

Howdy chaps.

I have now made the Elevators for the S.E.5.a and here is how I did it by pictures!!!!

se5aplans001-5.jpg

se5aplans002-4.jpg

....before sanding...

se5aplans004-6.jpg

....and after sanding.........

se5aplans005-5.jpg

...and this is what it all looks like when tacked together with blue tack!!!!

se5aplans010-1.jpg

se5aplans008-2.jpg

se5aplans009-4.jpg

So there you have it.

My hand has been forced to make a better /stronger set of Wheel Struts which I am in the middle of at the moment...the original ones I made I feel wouldn't be strong enough in the long run.....so its 1 step forward and 2 steps back!!!:(

I will post again when thats sorted.

Cheers for looking in as usual

Well the new struts were made sooner than I thought so I thought I would post pics of them.They were made by laminating plastic card to get the thickness...................

se5aplans002-5.jpg

se5aplans001-6.jpg

se5aplans005-6.jpg

Will post again tomorrow with any luck!

Cheers

The empennage structure looks great Martin, as well as the new and improved wheel struts. :speak_cool:

:popcorn:

Well Tomek....you have used a posh word for Tail unit!!!:P ....Yes...I'm a lot happier with the new wheel struts....I think they look more ...real!!!....cheers mate!

The new struts look 100% better than the old ones. Nice sharp details on them as well.

Interesting build.

Matt

Hi Matt...havn't heard from you for a while!.....thanks for the input mate.

.....onto....Todays Update

I spent most of the day trying to detail the front underside with a exit chamber for the cooling air from the radiator and engine.This was done by cutting a semi circle hole out of the Balsa wood and making a couple of fire walls...one to direct the heat out the bottom of the aircraft and one to protect the Pilot.Cooling vents were also cut from a piece of plastic and put in place directly underneath the absent engine!

Here is a diagram of what I was trying to achieve.....

BourgetDrawingsFuseUnderside.jpg

....and a picture of the cooling vent hole on the real aircraft.....

se5a-walkaround-027_screensize.jpg

So this is my effort........

se5aplans006-5.jpg

se5aplans005-7.jpg

se5aplans007-5.jpg

...the fire wall for the pilot

se5aplans002-6.jpg

se5aplans003-6.jpg

se5aplans004-7.jpg

There you go.

Soon I am going to have to face building the wings....not looking forward to it :( ...I think its the hardest thing to do on this build!!

more tomorrow

cheers

Fozzy, Totally awesome man. I love what your doing and I appreciate you taking the time and photographing your progress. I'll be sure to save it all for future reference. So, keep up the good work.

Mike

Thanks Mike....Progress is slow at the moment due to trying to get the basic shapes of the S.E.5.a...who ever said that its just a square box with wings havn't a clue!!!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:03 AM

Super stuff, Martin.

Sincerely,

Mark

Cheers Mark!

Edited by fozzy

Todays update

Hi guys.

Todays work on this project was not easy! I had to make the top half of the fuselage that covers the fuel tank and the fairing that goes around the cockpit entrance.

Well after a lot of cutting and dry fitting and a lot of swearing and scrapping it all and starting again with more cutting and dry fitting and swearing......................:angry2: ....I finally finished it.! Now I must stress that this is the basic shape at the moment and there is a lot of detailing to do as yet!!

Here are the photos...

se5aplans008-3.jpg

se5aplans009-5.jpg

......as you can see it looks like a tanker truck more than an S.E.5.a at the moment :blush:

se5aplans010-2.jpg

se5aplans011-1.jpg

In this photo you can see that I have fitted the fairing that goes around the cockpit...the green stuff is putty that I used to seal the joint

se5aplans017-1.jpg

se5aplans018-3.jpg

...as you can see I have to hold in position at the moment because it will only sit properly when it is glued down....which I'm not going to do at the moment.........

se5aplans016-2.jpg

se5aplans015-2.jpg

se5aplans014-2.jpg

....just couldn't resist at doing a little bit of detailing.(ribs)!!:rolleyes:

se5aplans019-2.jpg

Well after a hard days modelling thats it for today....i have to say that I'm glad that bits over as I was worried about it.....the next bit to worry about is the blasted MG that sits on top somehow!!!:hmmm:

Cheers lads

Todays update

Hi there

There are a lot of photos today!!:o ....and so to make it quicker ...this time I will just post the Photos.

The photos are of the front upper fuselage detail....including the Vickers MG scratch built and in place.

The materials I used were Plastic card....wire....childrens plastic flag staff (the MG) and card and paper.

Heres the photos.................starting with the leather ring pad around the cockpit entrance.....

se5aplans013-2.jpg

se5aplans012-2.jpg

se5aplans027.jpg

.....The Vickers MG....

se5aplans024-1.jpg

se5aplans022-1.jpg

...and now with a bit of colour.....

se5aplans040.jpg

se5aplans037.jpg

........and now with the MG temporarily in place......

se5aplans036.jpg

se5aplans049.jpg

se5aplans048.jpg

Well thats it for now.

I'll feel better when there is an undercoat on it all...then I will be able to see all the flaws and defects!!!!:unsure: .

I still have to add more detail to this section but will do when it is fixed to the Fuselage.

The posts will slow up a bit now as I have got to prepare for a model competition and I have also got a Commission to do....so busy busy!!..I will still find the time to continue with this project however.

I will post again in a couple of days time..

All the best