ROYAL AIRCRAFT FACTORY S.E.5.a

fozzy

I then tackled the Tail Skid.......made from a block of Balsa wood I sanded out the basic shape...

se5aplans006-3.jpg

se5aplans015-1.jpg

....and once again blue tacked on to check the fit.....

se5aplans016-1.jpg

se5aplans017.jpg

Having trouble with that pathetic photobucket again :BANGHEAD2: ...so thats it for today.

I'll try not to change the design of the Tail again so that we can move forward with this build!!!!

Cheers for looking in.

Don't say it's going to be another cutaway project ;) .

I don't know what was wrong with the previous fin and rudder, but this version looks quite interesting :speak_cool:

No its not another cutaway!!!!

you will be able to see the engine though as I am doing a removable Cowling for her.

The reason I had to do another Fin/Rudder is because on the real SE5 you can see the wooden structure of the Fin/Rudder through the skin...so I had to replicate that...I'm hoping on my model that you will see the wooden structure through the tissue I am going to cover it with...If not ..well I tried :)

The reason I had to do another Fin/Rudder is because on the real SE5 you can see the wooden structure of the Fin/Rudder through the skin...so I had to replicate that...I'm hoping on my model that you will see the wooden structure through the tissue I am going to cover it with.

That's what I was quietly suspecting :coolio: .

Don't let Photobucket problems delay posting your pictures!

Todays update

Hi Guys

A quick update on the work I have done on the undercarriage struts.....a lot more work to do on them as yet but what I am trying to do first is build all the complicated parts first before detailing starts......so here are the photos so far......

se5aplans019.jpg

se5aplans020-1.jpg

se5aplans021-1.jpg

When I get Photobucket to work properly I'll post the last photo :angry2: ....tell me please ..does any one else have a problem getting the link codes up on each individual photo?...it drives me mad...good job my neighbors don't understand a word of English!!:BANGHEAD2:

Ok ...so I had to go through Firefox to get PB but its still painfully slow!!

Any how here is the last photo......

se5aplans022.jpg

Wasn't worth waiting for was it?:rolleyes:

These are the other parts to the struts that I am going to put together this afternoon...its not going to be easy as I have to make sure everything lines up with the Fuselage...but if I don't have any problems I'll post the outcome later!

Cheers

Edited by fozzy

Todays update

Hi to any one who's watching this!!

Here is todays update.....

I managed to complete the Struts yesterday.The photos show up all the scratches and blemishes but that will all disapear when I seal all the wood with dilluted PVA glue before the final attachment..........

I re shaped a plastic bomb from an old kit and placed it on the base of the strut and I placed card on the cross bar that goes between the struts to represent the hinged flap the Pilot could operate.....

se5aplans001-4.jpg

The attachment ends of the struts were made from a coca cola can.....

se5aplans004-4.jpg

....and here are the struts in place temporarely.

se5aplans005-4.jpg

The cross bar I will attach when I have made the lower wing root so that I can square it all up....

se5aplans007-4.jpg

...and the front strut legs are attached by use of a pin pushed into the balsa block I placed earlier

se5aplans008.jpg

Thats it chaps for today.

I am now in the process of constructing the lower wing attachment roots

more later

Cheers for looking in

That's some way-cool modelling Martin! I learn so much from watching what guys like yourself do.

Kev

Hi there Kev..thanks a lot mate...I also learn from other model makers ....there are so many good ones out there !!

well, sunny here in The garden of England (and also my garden too!)...at the moment

time to let the chickens free range for a bit methinks...

but yes, it has not been warm here since end of April, or certainly seems like that

picking Mother up from airport this evening - she will go into shock coming back from Greece (and not just because people here are working rather than striking / protesting everywhereph34r.gif)

Todays update

Hi Guys

I managed to get the lower wing roots sorted out ...it was a bit touch and go at times but got there in the end.

As usual I'll explain by photos....

1. The wing roots first had to be carved out of Balsa wood...I had to make a template of the Aerofoil and carv the balsa wood to that..........

se5aplans006-4.jpg

2. Next I made a template from tracing paper of the side of the fuselage and where according to the plan the wing root is attached...

se5aplans003-5.jpg

3. This was then attached to the side of the Fuselage.I can now see exactly where the wing root has to be placed on the model...because its tracing paper ,all I have to do is turn the paper over to do the other side!....simple but effective!

se5aplans002-3.jpg

4. I then stripped the insulation off a pice of wire....rolled them straight and cut 4 lengths to act as fixing bars...

se5aplans004-5.jpg

5. Holes were drilled out to take the bars and they slipped into place....

se5aplans008-1.jpg

6. The wing roots were then pushed onto the bars and up against the fuselage....

se5aplans009-3.jpg

7. Here are the wing roots in place....

I finally put her up onto her legs to see what it all looked like....................

se5aplans019-1.jpg

se5aplans012-1.jpg

se5aplans013-1.jpg

In this final Photo it showed me exactly what I wanted to see and that was.... that she all looked squared away !!!

se5aplans018-2.jpg

Thats it guys...thanks for looking in and have a good weekend!

Cheers