ROYAL AIRCRAFT FACTORY S.E.5.a

fozzy

Hi every one

Well big problems this end chaps.....:BANGHEAD2: .......my computer got a virus that would not allow me to get on the internet :angry2: ...it was the XP SECURITY CENTRE 2012......watch out for it ..it takes over every thing...lost a lot of my files etc.Any how the problem was fixed today by re loading windows again!!

As for the progress of the S.E.5.a..........more disaster I am afraid :( .............

Here's a photo of it....................

scrappedse5a002.jpg

..yep...I had to scrap the lot!! I decided that the Fuselage Frame work wasn't going together right.because I was rushing it!!! ......and it has to be right at this stage else the whole shape of the Aircraft won't look right!!I'm sure you know what I mean.....its my own fault!!

So I have started again,this time I am taking my time :blush: and hopefully I will get over this first stage of scratch building this thing!!!!

I have now re loaded the contents of my PC and will continue with the build tomorrow.,with photos....unless of course something else goes wrong!!!!.....(I was watching Justified on the TV the other night when the earth moved....and it was nothing to do with the wife and I!!...Earthquake...we are on a fault line here in Bulgaria.)....so fingers crossed!!!

Post soon

Cheers lads

Looks like your Se5 took a nose dive straight in from 10,000 ft.

On the positive side, that's a great feature of stick an tissue building. It can always be redone pretty easily.

Ron

Hay Martin,

Looks like you got off to another great start ....:rofl:

Joking apart, this is going to be another great lesson for the mortals around. Look forward to your next posts !

Hubert.

Hi Hubert

yes....I had to start again but however I am going to post my progress shortly!

Cheers

Hi guys

Ok then....as stated in my last post....I had to start again,this time taking my time....My Computer is holding out :) ...so thats good news!!

Once again I placed both Port and Starboard sides of the frame onto the plan and pinned and glued them! this makes for more accuracy!!.........

se5aplans014.jpg

Next I pinned the front Cross braces onto the plan and glued both Port and Starboard frame work sides to the cross braces ...when it was dry I then glued the top cross braces into position.

se5aplans015.jpg

se5aplans016.jpg

So as you can see the whole process so far is painfully slow and I know you must all be bored to death with it all :( ......

This I will leave over night to dry and tomorrow I can start working back along the Fuselage with the cross braces.

Thanks to all of you who are watching this....I know it is a bit boring at the moment...it will get more interesting I promise!!:unsure:

Will post tomorrow

Cheers

Hi again

A quick update.

I have managed to finish the lower half of the Fuselage construction....thank goodness!!

Here is a photo of the tail end glued and clamped ....................

se5aplans018.jpg

When it was dried I finished off the lower half of the Fuselage by attaching and glueing the remainder of the Crossbraces.........

se5aplans020.jpg

se5aplans021.jpg

Once again I waited for the construction to dry before taking it off the board to inspect it all for warps /defects etc!!!:unsure:

.............and I am pleased to say that all is ok and that I am happy with the end result :yahoo:

se5aplans023.jpg

se5aplans024.jpg

se5aplans025.jpg

Tomorrow I will continue with the top half of the Fuselage...untill then

Cheers for looking in

Edited by fozzy

Great work Martin! Looks like you've overcome your initial setback with ease. Keep 'em coming!

Kev

Well I don't know about ease!!! but I will keep 'em coming ;)

Cheers Kev

Hi again chaps

Since my last post I have cut,sanded and glued 3 x Formers onto the rear end of the Frame work!!!:o ...Dosn't seem much I will agree but as I said before this part of the build is of utmost importance for it to be right else I might as well give up!!...and I,m not going to do that!!

Here are the photos of the small progress!!!............

1.jpg

2.jpg

se5aplans004.jpg

3.jpg

In the last photo ...Former number D+1 had to be designed "off plan" as the plans didn't have a Former in that position and the real Aircraft did and besides I felt it would strenghthen the Fuselage.....to make the former I had to do a lot of measuring right ,left and centre and a lot of eye balling ...I think it will be all right !:unsure:

Today I am going to place the stringers onto the Formers........I will post when thats done.

thanks to those of you who are sticking with this!!!

Hi

As stated yesterday here are some photos of the Stringers attached to the Formers on the rear of the Fuselage.................

se5aplans005-1.jpg

se5aplans002.jpg

se5aplans001-1.jpg

se5aplans003-1.jpg

se5aplans004-1.jpg

I had no real problems except that I will have to strengthen the Frame work with some more hard wood on some of the Formers else I think I might have a warp job on my hands when I apply the covering.......and we can't have that!!!:(

Will post again when I have sorted that out...

Cheers