ROYAL AIRCRAFT FACTORY S.E.5.a

fozzy

Looks good Martin :speak_cool:

I'm rooting for you!

:popcorn:

Cheers Tomek.... I placed some of the floors for the Cockpit today...photos to follow tomorrow! ...really slow process at the moment...thanks for looking in mate!

Edited by fozzy

.....and so we continue Getlemen!!

The past 24 hours have been spent checking the Internet for phots..........I needed to see if the plans that I am using show the correct locations on the Fuselage for the Wheel Struts and Lower Wing ...........and luckily everything looks ok :)

So I have spent the most part of today measuring and checking and placing blocks of wood in the correct locations on the Fuselage so that at a later date in the build I will be able to attach the wheel struts and Lower Wing by pins into the blocks of wood.....do you know what I mean?...or am I talking rubbish!!!:blah: ...maybe the phots will help!.............

se5aplans003-2.jpg

...so the block of wood to the right in the photo will accomadate the front Wheel Strut ....the centre block of wood will take the Leading edge of the Lower Wing...and the rear block of wood will be for the rear wheel strut and the trailing edge of the Lower Wing!!!...got that?:wacko:

.....here are some more angles...........

se5aplans002-1.jpg

As you can see I have placed the floor for the Cockpit area as well.............

se5aplans001-2.jpg

So thats the small update for today!

Tomorrow I will attach the front two formers to the Fuselage and then try to figure out what the next best thing to do is................because I havn't a clue yet!!!

Cheers Guys

:tumble: blimey its a bit quite around here!!

Todays update

I have managed to place the two front Formers onto the Fuselage and have done the first bit of detailing on this project.

se5aplans004-2.jpg

I have fabricated the front end of the Fuel Tank out of plastic card...this is the only part of the tank you will see on this project so I didn't see the point in doing the whole thing!!!;) .....this will be super glued onto the wooden former and the Former attached...like so......

se5aplans005-2.jpg

Just under neath the "fake" tank you can see two blocks of wood..........these will be the anchor points for the top forward Wing Strut....

Hold on ...I am having problems with PhotoBucket........AGAIN :angry2:

...I must have re-loaded PhotoBucket 3 times so far!!!...any way here's a few more photos.......

se5aplans006-1.jpg

se5aplans007-1.jpg

se5aplans009.jpg

Thats the update for today!

Thanks to any one who's looking.............

Todays update

Hi guys.

Since I last posted I have spent a few hours changing a few things on the Fuselage frame work! After looking at many construction photos of the real Aircraft I decided that A bit of an improvement on some areas were needed.

I added a small frame that will accomodate the pilots seat at a later date and some of the locations of the cross braces were changed as well.....I am trying to replicate the real thing if it is at all possible so I had to make these changes :( ....you probably can't see the changes I have made but here's some photos any way.............

se5aplans001-3.jpg

You can also see that I have placed a floor covering over the balsa wood floor in the Cockpit area.....I am hoping that it looks better than Balsa Wood!!:unsure: ...what do you think?

se5aplans003-3.jpg

Small changes to the front as well....I have taken off the Front Former and placed two pieces of wood in the Engine Bay area which will act as Engine bearers......

se5aplans002-2.jpg

.......and so it continues at a snails pace ...but moving on never the less.

I am working on the Undercarriage next.

Cheers

Fozzy-

Too Cool- Reminds me of the stick and tissue building I did with my grandad years ago. I love the way this is working. And not to worry on the lack of replies to the thread. I know I am checking on it every day, and others are as well.

Please keep up the great work and the updates coming!

Looking forward to the next installment!!!

THOR, hacking away at a Spitfire!!!!

Fozzy-

Too Cool- Reminds me of the stick and tissue building I did with my grandad years ago. I love the way this is working. And not to worry on the lack of replies to the thread. I know I am checking on it every day, and others are as well.

Please keep up the great work and the updates coming!

Looking forward to the next installment!!!

THOR, hacking away at a Spitfire!!!!

Thanks THOR for your input....I'll be posting again in a couple of days as I am off to the coast to get away from this Bulgarian summer heat!!!

Good luck with your Spits!

Edited by fozzy

Todays update

Hi Chaps

I have just returned from the coast hoping that it would have cooled down a bit here in the "outback" so to speak....but fat chance!:(

Any how ..before I went away I had time to do some work on the Tail fin....however this time I decided to fabricate the tail out of a block of Balsa wood!

Although I havn't finished it yet ....here are some photos of the method I used.............

First I drew around a cardboard template I made from the plans onto a block of Balsa.............

se5aplans-1.jpg

I sanded it down to the line drawn on the wood and then by photos and info shaped it by very light sanding.....

se5aplans004-3.jpg

se5aplans006-2.jpg

se5aplans005-3.jpg

The next few photos show the fin tacked by blue tack temporarely to the Fuselage to see what it looks like!:unsure:

se5aplans010.jpg

se5aplans007-2.jpg

se5aplans009-1.jpg

....and I am happy with the end result!...I mean it looks as if it belongs on the Fuselage?:lol:

Ok ,so more work to be done on it which I'll bash on with tomorrow....

Cheers Guys

AWESOME work Fozzy! Reminds me when I was a lad, and me and my father build indoor "peanut" scale indoor free flight rubber powered wooded models..............pretty much using this exact method. Nice work mate.

Cheers,

Brian

AWESOME work Fozzy! Reminds me when I was a lad, and me and my father build indoor "peanut" scale indoor free flight rubber powered wooded models..............pretty much using this exact method. Nice work mate.

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks Brian....I'm glad it takes you back to your childhood...but ofcourse this model will be a static display piece...its going to take too long for me to watch it crash and burn :o

Brian is right!

Reminds me of those huge balsa gliders you spent hours building and covering with tissue and glue only to have it crash

and crumple on the first flight!

Lovely stuff as usual Foz.

What are you going to skin this one with tissue and dilute PVA??

Phil :thumbsup:

Brian is right!

Reminds me of those huge balsa gliders you spent hours building and covering with tissue and glue only to have it crash

and crumple on the first flight!

Lovely stuff as usual Foz.

What are you going to skin this one with tissue and dilute PVA??

Phil :thumbsup:

Cheers Phil....yep...I will mostly cover this with tissue and PVA and cardboard in other places...however things are always changing with this build ...at the moment I am trying something else with the Tail unit!:(

Todays update

:sorry:

Please ignor my last picture post!!...I have changed the design of the Tail Fin and Rudder! I woke up the next day and looked at the Tail Fin and rudder I had made and decided that it just wasn't good enough!!:angry2: ....and so in good scratch builder form ....I trashed it and started again!!!

I won't bore you with the details ....you had to put up with the last one!!!....I'll just post the photos and you should see how I constructed it......

se5aplans003-4.jpg

se5aplans007-3.jpg

se5aplans009-2.jpg

...here it is temporarily blue tacked to the Fuselage.....

se5aplans013.jpg

se5aplans012.jpg