1/32 Ju 52 "Tante Ju"

Christian

This update has taken a few weeks to do, as there is a lot of alignment of major parts to consider.

Installing the Wings

A few weeks ago I mated the upper and lower wing halves together. I poured model resin in the engine compartment and along the side of the wing to add strength and to ensure that the wing halves would not separate.

Ju52631.jpg

The wing halves were then sleeved over the wing spars, a lot of sanding and small adjustment to wing spar and wing root to ensure correct fit and alignment. There is no glue on the wing spar as the fit is very tight. I used Tamiya Extra Thin glue to plastic weld the wing to the wing root connection. Later will pour model resin into the wing and this will glue the wing to the wing spar.

Ju52632.jpg

Main Landing Gear Installation Part 1

This updates I will be detailing the main landing gear installation.

Below is an image of the Combat Model land gear strut, it is a reinforced resin and appears very strong. This is needed as the Ju 52 is now fairly heavy due to all the model resin used.

Below is a picture of the resin strut and brass axel.

Ju52633.jpg

The pour plug is cut of using a razor saw and sanding smooth; you can see the pour plug near the brass axle in the above photograph.

I mark pilot holes and cut out slots on the underside of the Ju 52 according the plans provided.

Ju52634.jpg

Ju52635.jpg

Ju52636.jpg

0.5 mm brass tube is drilled and glued into the top of the land gear strut. The will act like wooden dowels and help with alignment of the land gears and add to the connection strength.

Ju52637.jpg

The strut has a third piece now added to the rear of the strut. I call it a rear angle bar. I solder a 1 mm alignment / holding pin into the end of the copper tubing.

Ju52638.jpg

It is a 2.5 mm copper tube. I drill a hole in the rear of the strut. The hole is 3.0 mm in diameter to allow for movement when angling the tube in to position. All parts are glued together using ZAP GAP CA.

Ju52639.jpg

Ju526310.jpg

Main Landing Gear Installation Part 2

I test fit the main land gear on the underside of the plane.

Below picture you can see the alignment pins.

JU526311.jpg

Ju526312.jpg

Now to install the landing gear spats that goes over the wheels.

I use blutak and two straight edges to ensure the wheel spats are level with each other. Note the 2 holes in the front of the wings are not guns but holes so I can pour in model resin later.

Ju526313.jpg

Below is an image whole main landing gear before sanding, putty and priming.

Ju526314.jpg

Now the landing gear is glued into position.

I have test fitted a lot of the parts from the Ju 52 that have been scratch built. Images are below.

Ju526315.jpg

Ju526316.jpg

Ju526317.jpg

Ju526318.jpg

Ju526319.jpg

More updates to come; with 1/32 Ju 52 build.

Happy Modelling,

Christian

Talk about dedication and attention to detail..... :punk: Christian that is amazing work !

:popcorn:

Vaughn

Hi Vaugh,

Thanks for the kind words, mate.

Tante Ju has a complicated and detailed interior. :mental:

Slow and steady on this big build, while juggling work and a young family, hence it is a long project.

Regards,

Chris

Impressive and inspiring work to say the less !

Welldone Christian.

Hi Loic,

Thanks for reading in and leaving a comment.

It all helps keeping the motivation levels up.

I will try to e-mail you tonight the pictures.

Kind regards,

Christian

That is just too cool man.

It is really starting to shape up now. Nice to see it on it's "legs"

J

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for reading in.

As you know these vac kits and alignment of major parts is always trying times. It took 2 to 3 weeks to get to this stage. Iain, had the idea of the location pins., which is a smart idea.

Yes, it is now nice to look a Tante Ju standing on her own 2 beautiful legs. :wub:

Speak to you next time,

Christian