Academy 1/32nd F-18D Hornet

David66

I'm also looking for the F-4dable models resin chaff/flare dispensres...but can't find them anywhere....

anyone got a spare set...or know where I can get one form?

Hi, check post#6 on page 1 of this thread (Thanks Kagemusha) for a link to Skyraider models. I've ordered a set of the F4Dable chaff/flare dispensers from them. They also do a very nice resin AN/ALQ-131 ecm pod which I've ordered for my Academy F-16CG Block 40.

Let me know how the 131 looks and how good the fit( ground clearance). I have been looking for one thats workable with limited clearance....Harv :evil_laugh:

Hi Harv, the ALQ-131 looks great but it's the "shallow" type so I'm going to use the decals from it and put them on the "deep" configuration pod that I got from Flightpath, it's in their "Gunsmoke" range and is very nice but a bit of a mare to make as, for some reason, its top and sides have to be folded from etched brass. I found it best to line the etched parts with plasticard to give them some strength, the other downside is that Flightpath don't supply any decals for their pod. Having said that, it's very nice when finished.

Both the Skyraider and Flightpath pods have decent ground clearance but the Academy kits centre-line pylon is the type used to carry the later ALQ-194 pod. I had to scratch-build a new pylon to carry the ALQ-131 as the kits ALQ-194 pylon is considerably deeper than the ALQ-131 pylon. When I test fitted the pod for the first time, the wheels were several millimetres off the ground! :frantic:

I'm finishing my F-16 as a Block 40CG based at Aviano, during the Kosovan conflict. I'll post some pics as soon as it's finished.

• 5 years later...

Wow! Can't believe it's been 5 years since I posted the pics of my F-18 :huh: ! many thanks again to everyone that posted such positive comments, means a lot given the build quality seen on LSP. I really should learn how to post pics again, it used to be a kind of two-click operation but, when the method of uploading changed, it left a 'puter illiterate numpty like me scratching my head. So, next time I have a spare few minutes, I'm going to go and read the thread concerning uploading pics and see if I can post some of my other builds. I still rate the F-18 as one of my favourite models and there's a part of me that kinda wishes I still had it, oh well, I've still got a C and another D in the to-do pile. Thanks again, best regards, David.

Very nice build !

If you're still looking for the F-4dable chaff dispensers, you can order them directly from the manufacturer in Malaysia. Just send a mail to the contact on their website, Jason Cheah is very nice. The shipping costs are pretty cheap.

Edited by Zero77