Academy 1/32nd F-18D Hornet

David66

Hi all, here's a pic of my Academy F-18D. This was one of those kits that got started pretty much as soon as I got in. I made it OOB, didn't even do any research for this one, apart from had a quick look at a couple of cockpit photos for colour reference. If I had, I'd have noticed that the seats are the wrong type for this particular a/c :lol: Anyway, I wont tell if you don't. Apart from the rather problematic intakes, this was just a whole load of fun to make, in fact I liked it so much that I've now got two more along with two of the C models but those will have a bunch of A.M stuff chucked at them and, probably, new decals. Actually, I do have a question for anyone out there. Does anyone know where I can get the F-4Dable Models resin chaff/flare dispensers? I can't seem to find any way of ordering from their website and no-one seems to stock them.

post-12999-1283720762.jpg

Wow, that looks really good, well done.

The weathering is superb.

I've just taken delivery of the Iraqi version of this kit (along with Revell JU88 & Tornado) & cant wait to get going on it.

I'm hoping the kit is as good as everyone says it up, do you have any 'heads ups' for the intakes?

Martin

Wow, that looks really good, well done.

The weathering is superb.

I've just taken delivery of the Iraqi version of this kit (along with Revell JU88 & Tornado) & cant wait to get going on it.

I'm hoping the kit is as good as everyone says it up, do you have any 'heads ups' for the intakes?

Martin

Thanks Martin, I've got the Ju-88 and Tornado in my to-do pile, looking forward to building both at some point. The intakes on the F-18 are a poor fit. There seems to be several areas where they need adjustment, I thinned out the fuselage sidewalls and sanded down the inner rear areas of the intakes but I still needed tu use filler to blend out the join. I'm going to use the Rhino Models seamless intakes on my next couple, hopefully they'll fit better. Apart from the intakes, the rest of the kit is fantastic. The seats in the kit are not correct for the decal options provided in the F-18D. I'll need to do a bit of checking but I think I've got the magazine article that lists the BuAer #s of the a/c which have the SJU-5/6 seats supplied in the kit and which ones would need AM SJU-17 seats. Another area to look out for on F-18s is the cooloing grills around the nose as some had the louvered type and, I believe, later a/c had a mesh type covering. An excellent reference source is the Daco Publications book "Uncovering the F-18A/B/C/D Hornet". I hope this helps and if anyone else has any advice on fitting the intakes please feel free to share :evil_laugh:

Thanks for all the kind words and compliments, really dead chuffed that you all think so highly of my F-18. Many thanks also to Kagemusha :evil_laugh: for the heads-up re F-4Dable chaff/flare dispensers, very much appreciated. I've put Skyraider Models on my favourites and will order up a couple of sets within the next day or so.It was one of my most fun projects and is still one of my favourite a/c. Mind you that changes on a day-to-day basis. Thanks again, best regards, David.