Eduard Bf109E1, Jagdgruppe 88 "Legion Condor"

DougN

Unfortunately, the slat is too deep, if not corrected, wing insignia will end up over the slat itself (as happened to Nick on his build) which is incorrect.

Thanks Doug, good to know.

Very nice, clean and green!

:frantic:

who says we are not environment friendly here in the land of plastic, resin and thinner fumes?!

Unfortunately, the slat is too deep, if not corrected, wing insignia will end up over the slat itself (as happened to Nick on his build) which is incorrect.

:closedeyes:

thanks for sharing - i like the history behind the model

Nick

• 1 year later...

I like this a lot - very clean

I for one hope we never find out the REAL colour as half of the modellers will have to repaint their kits!

:oops:

how did you go about the aerials on the rear ? they are seamlessly joined and look great

Ads

Thanks (again) guys! How did you find this old build Martin, lol

Mark - these days I focus my detailing efforts on high-visibility stuff like the aerial wire since I get the "biggest bang for my buck" that way. Of course, if I had your skills, I would probably do more detailing everywhere :)

Ads - I take it you mean the main aerial, and the one that leads into the fuselage? They are both fishing line, and I just get the main aerial on, then in a hole pre-drilled through the fuselage, I stick another bit of the same wire in. I then stick a tiny dot of superglue on the main aerial wire where they should connect, and then, using my tweezers and a pair of reading glasses, I pull the piece that is in the fuselage up and connect them :) Hope that answers your question!

Regarding the color, I'm still not 100% it's correct, but it is lighter in real life than in the photos, and it seems to make sense. It turns out it's also very close to the VVS AMT-4 green color that would have been on the I-15/I-16's in Spain. Perhaps they were painted with some VVS paint stocks sent to the Republicans in Spain, but captured by the Nationalists? ;) Some additional reinforcement for the darker color on 109E's (in particular this aircraft), was relieved after I posted this model on the internet. It seems the son of a former Republican pilot who claimed to have shot down this very aircraft sent me an email with some other photos that showed the rear fuselage of this aircraft, and unlike the more commonly seen photo of the plane in the position it crashed in, this one was of 3 guys standing behind just the fusleage and it was much darker in color than the other photo. Could it be that the lighter photo was that taken using the B/W film that washed out the greens, and the other with film that did not?

Unless someone has a time machine, I guess we'll never no for sure :)

Doug

Edited by DougN

• 2 weeks later...