1/32 Heinkel He 100D

Allok

I'm having a bit of a 'mare with the main gear covers. I can't figure out if they are too short or the wheels are just too small. Either way, something looks off so I have elected to lengthen the covers by nearly 3mm.

58.jpg

Here are a few random shots with all the markings on:

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

The legs on this thing are very fragile and spindly. Working on it, or even just moving it becomes a challenge. The tail wheel has fallen off several times and is showing signs of wear.

Another thing which is perplexing me is the over all stance of the aeroplane. The model looks less "nose high" than in the photos and the tail seems too far off the ground. This issue might just be illusions caused by camera angles but it doesn't quite look right.

61.jpg

The model looks less "nose high" than in the photos and the tail seems too far off the ground.

Keith, maybe the legs are too long; that would account for the high sit of the nose, and the too-short gear doors. A possibility?

Kev

Hmmm wouldnt shortening the legs accentuate the problem Keith has mentinoed Kev?

Or am I reading this wrong? :unsure:

Looks pretty sweet to me either way Keith. :D I think SO little is seen or even known about this airframe, that most wouldn't even question it.

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Hmmm wouldnt shortening the legs accentuate the problem Keith has mentinoed Kev?

Or am I reading this wrong? :unsure:

Actually I think I read it wrong Brian. :rolleyes: I just saw "nose high" and conflated that in my head with spindly landing gear and too-short doors. Must learn to read properly...

Kev

Brian is right, I meant the kit looks low in the nose.

I don't think the problem is in the length of the gear, they look about right. In the photos I have of the real thing the nose looks to be pointing quite high in the air compared with the kit. This might just be an illusion caused by the where the planes are sitting and the angles from which the photos are taken. Nearly all the pics I have show them on grass aprons with their small, narrow tail wheels buried deep in the soft earth. The tail then appears much lower to the ground. Coupled with the kit possibly having slightly smaller main wheels (between 2/3mm in dia), this could make it look wrong. Unfortunately, it's all speculation as I have no hard evidence.

In nearly every other way, it looks the part.

At least the decals went on smoothly. I'll see what else I can achieve in the weekend.

Verrrry nice!

Building a kit of an airframe that does not exist anymore is always a frustrating job... Moreover, the remaining technical documents are not numerous. Hence, working from pictures is the only solution and often results in head scratching!

Your kit looks the par and in my eyes this is the most important thing!

Keith

Your build looks great! I'd have thought it'd start to look a little weird if the nose was much more upward pointing.

Looks to capture the lines and stance very nicely.

Matt

Cheers, Kev.

As per usual, there's still a few niggly little bits I'd like to add. The gear could do with a little more detail and there should be some data plates on the front of them but my hands aren't steady enough at the moment to deal with these.

It's good enough for now.

Thanks everyone for following along.

Just a bit of a prologue for Thierry and whoever else may be interested:

- The gear covers should have bolts to hold them onto the legs, similar to what you might see on an Fw 190.

- There should be large hinge-like items at the top of the gear legs. My guess, pivots for the main gear retraction.

- The actuators for the ailerons are missing.

- The windshield is too wide for the airframe. If you use the tiniest amount of superglue, you can pinch it slightly when you attach it. Alternatively, you could use something to spread the cockpit slightly, attach the shield and then remove the spreader after the glue has hardened. The windshield should then pull back in with the cockpit walls. But no matter what you do, it is a real trick to get right. I ended up with a dirty great glue fingerprint on mine! Not happy.

- Decals slightly off register.

All in all this is a really great little kit.

Some of the highlights:

- Beautifully scribed surface detail (some of it may be in the wrong place but it looks great).

- Really nice resin exhausts.

- Lovely looking wheels.

- Nicely detailed Revi 14C gunsight.