1/32 scale Trumpeter IL-2

alaninaustria

Hi guys, I am happy for the interest in this great kit! I am 95% finished, but I am based more and more out of Vienna so I am rarely at hoem these days.... but glad to have a job still given how things have gone economically in the world! I have some home days coming up and I will get a few pics up as soon as I can! I cannot say enough good thigns about this kit... it is a beauty and if you have any interest in Soviet WWII aviation you will want this kit and the others that are following! I have the test shots of the two seater and the swept wing version and they are beautifully tooled!

You will not be disappointed!

Happy modelling and cheers!

Alan

Thanks for the heads up Alan. I'm looking more to the 2 seater, but any pics are welcome, and should be indicative of the tooling and fit. Would you say this is an "A" team kit?(SBD,TBM,262)

A team all the way with this one Mike... I was reminded of the beautiful Me 262 that Trumpeter did while I was putting this beauty together... absolutely nothing to complain about other then the really big size of this bird! Fit is excellent as well as the engineering and parts layout and assembly.

Cheers

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
A team all the way with this one Mike... I was reminded of the beautiful Me 262 that Trumpeter did while I was putting this beauty together... absolutely nothing to complain about other then the really big size of this bird! Fit is excellent as well as the engineering and parts layout and assembly.

Cheers

Alan

Great to hear about how nice this bird is. Mine is in the mail! I'm a bit of a Shturmovik nut (I'm finishing up a book on modelling the IL-2) so I've been waiting for this kit since I first heard the rumours about it well over a year ago. The only problem I've seen with the kit as far as the test shots is that they've made that bl***y metal fuselage version. I don't know why manufacturers persist in doing this version (Accurate Miniatures, Academy, Toko, etc.) as only about 200 single-seaters were built with the metal fuselage and NO 2-seaters (some 2-seaters were modified with a metal fuselage, but that was all postwar). Still, I'm sure there's nothing wrong with this kit that a little sanding can't fix (Okay, maybe a lot of sanding - we are talking about 1/32nd scale here). It'll be great to see your pictures of it, once you get it done, Alan. Good luck, Mate, with the build! As far as size goes, people don't think the IL-2 was that big, because it was a single-engine, and as first produced, single-seat aeroplane. In real life it was a bit over 38' long and had a wingspan of over 47'. It was a big chunk of steel, aluminium, wood, fabric, wood putty, primer, packing tape, chewing gum (I'm joking about the last two).

Regards,

Learstang

Great to hear about how nice this bird is. Mine is in the mail! I'm a bit of a Shturmovik nut (I'm finishing up a book on modelling the IL-2) so I've been waiting for this kit since I first heard the rumours about it well over a year ago. The only problem I've seen with the kit as far as the test shots is that they've made that bl***y metal fuselage version. I don't know why manufacturers persist in doing this version (Accurate Miniatures, Academy, Toko, etc.) as only about 200 single-seaters were built with the metal fuselage and NO 2-seaters (some 2-seaters were modified with a metal fuselage, but that was all postwar). Still, I'm sure there's nothing wrong with this kit that a little sanding can't fix (Okay, maybe a lot of sanding - we are talking about 1/32nd scale here). It'll be great to see your pictures of it, once you get it done, Alan. Good luck, Mate, with the build! As far as size goes, people don't think the IL-2 was that big, because it was a single-engine, and as first produced, single-seat aeroplane. In real life it was a bit over 38' long and had a wingspan of over 47'. It was a big chunk of steel, aluminium, wood, fabric, wood putty, primer, packing tape, chewing gum (I'm joking about the last two).

Regards,

Learstang

Hello Learstang and welcome to the forums! Interesting to hear about your book, please let us know when you have finished it. I am hoping you wait until you have at least one chapter on building the Trumpeter kit!

Your comments about the wooden fuselage remind me of the modeler who built his AM kit as if it was unpainted, with natural wood finish. Is that how you are going to do yours?:lol:

Hello Learstang and welcome to the forums! Interesting to hear about your book, please let us know when you have finished it. I am hoping you wait until you have at least one chapter on building the Trumpeter kit!

Your comments about the wooden fuselage remind me of the modeler who built his AM kit as if it was unpainted, with natural wood finish. Is that how you are going to do yours?:speak_cool:

Thank you for the welcome, LSP_Ray! As a matter of fact, one of the items holding up getting my book published (except for adding some pictures, it's essentially finished) is I intend to do an Appendix devoted to this kit. I know the AM model you're talking about - it's amazing! I don't know how he reproduced the wooden surfaces. I'm afraid that's a wee bit out of my league! I just got my IL-2 in the mail, and in response to Eli Raphael's question, I've only seen it on ebay. It still hasn't appeared as an available item on Hannants' or Squadron's sites. I got mine for around $100USD, including shipping, which isn't a bad price, I think. There's one out there now on ebay, from the same seller (sari.sari) with bidding starting at $69.99USD. I can tell you I received mine in about 3 days, and in very good shape so I don't think you have to worry about buying from this seller. He must have picked some up in China or Japan.

Now for the bad news. The kit is, as Alan mentioned, very well-moulded and very detailed, complete with cannons, wing machine guns, and a detailed Mikulin AM-38 engine. However, the kit has inaccurate painting instructions (as every Shturmovik kit I've ever seen has), the metal rear fuselage should be wooden, and the kit has only four rocket stations, whereas a single-seater should have eight (although it has an additional set of holes for mounting the extra rocket rails - perhaps these will be present in the wheeled single-seater). Although it is possible that the ski-equipped single-seater only had four stations, due to the increased weight of the retractable ski installation, I've never read or seen anything to that effect. In addition, the wings are missing the outer aileron/anti-flutter balances, which were present on all metal-winged single-seaters. Nothing that can't be fixed, although adding the additional rockets and rocket rails would entail building them from scratch, or buying another kit just for the pieces! Still and all, it's a very impressive kit, and Hobby Boss are to be congratulated for having the intestinal fortitude to provide a kit of this important aeroplane in 1/32nd scale.

If anyone's interested, I can post pictures of my modest 1/72nd scale ski-equipped version, done in what I think is an accurate winter scheme.

Regards,

Learstang

P.S. I may post other comments/observations on this kit as I examine it in more detail.

Hi Learstang I'd certainly like to see your ski 1/72 Il2. It is possible the two-seater will have a wooden fuselage, but even if it doesn't, like you said it isn't something that can't be fixed, and better than no 1/32 kit at all. Be nice to see some pics of this when you get the chance Alan?

P.S. I may post other comments/observations on this kit as I examine it in more detail.

Welcome to LSP mate! Would you consider doing a full-blown kit review for the main website? It sounds like you know your subject, and we'd love to publish your take on it.

Kev

Hi Learstang I'd certainly like to see your ski 1/72 Il2. It is possible the two-seater will have a wooden fuselage, but even if it doesn't, like you said it isn't something that can't be fixed, and better than no 1/32 kit at all. Be nice to see some pics of this when you get the chance Alan?

Don't get me wrong, Kagemusha. I'm elated to have a good kit of the IL-2 in 1/32nd scale. Inaccuracies seem to creep into every kit. Despite its inaccuracies, I would definitely encourage anyone interested in WWII aircraft to buy this kit.

As far as pictures of my modest little 1/72nd scale ski-equipped Shturmovik, here are two (it's the nice Smer kit, which correctly has the wooden rear fuselage represented). My model is definitely not competition quality, but I like it. Note the balances near the wing tips, the four rocket rails per wing, and that the carburetor intake filter is not installed in the starboard wing root. The only thing I would change on it would be the interior colour, including the landing gear, which should all be a greyer hue. If I had to do again (or if I redo it) I would use Testors Light Ghost Gray, as I find this to be a reasonable match for the Soviet A-14 Steel Grey. Enjoy!

Regards,

Learstang

post-24219-1279144383.jpg

post-24219-1279144420.jpg

Inaccuracies seem to creep into every kit.

And I certainly hope you point out ways in which the kit can be improved. Nice model, I'm going to wait for the two-seater, saw one at a museum in Prague a couple of years ago and it really is a big beast, so only one for me! Hope you do a review of the single-seater. Cheers!

Welcome to LSP mate! Would you consider doing a full-blown kit review for the main website? It sounds like you know your subject, and we'd love to publish your take on it.

Kev

Thank you for the welcome, Kevin, and yes I would be interested in doing a kit review. Just tell me what I need to do.

Regards,

Learstang