Miles M-20

spacewolf

lovely work on the gunbays and cockpit as usual Vaughn.

Looks like you will be getting on with the paint soon!

Phil :speak_cool:

Thanks Phil, paint is waiting and it's high time, deadline is comin' fast !!! :thumbsup: Being that I'm pressed for time the canopy had me working away, scratching my head trying to figure out what to do. For the wind screen I grabbed the part from the long suffering Hurri and with a bit of work it'll fit the bill !!! :clap2: I had to add a bit of angled sheet to get it right but It's gonna work.

post-2514-1288061684.jpg

I'm going to add the armored glass to it if all goes well..gonna experiment with something..I'll let you know if it works. Anyway, using the part as a guide I cut the fuselage to fit.

post-2514-1288061773.jpg

Once I had the wind screen fitted I was able to cut down the fuse sides to the proper level for the canopy rails.

post-2514-1288061874.jpg

The wind screen looks pretty good.

post-2514-1288062073.jpg

With this done, next came the part I dread... carving a master and vacu forming. I used balsa as the base for the canopy, it's easy to work with and while very fragile will do for a few copies. I carved and sanded it to shape, then coated it with super glue to seal it. Several coats with sanding between coats fills the grain and leaves a smooth finish.

post-2514-1288062318.jpg

So, tomorrow I have to finish my small vacu former, build the holder for the plastic and pull the canopy....wish me luck guys !!

Hurrah Vaughn,you're gonna make it !

This thread is an obsolute pleasure to follow. Great work thtough and trhough ! :(

Hubert.

I hope so Hubert, time is flying. Thanks for the vote of confidence and the kind words.

Cheers

Vaughn

I decided to take the simple way out... I did a heat and smash. I used a sheet of 1/8 th bass wood, cut out the opening for the canopy, tacked plastic to the bottom, heated it over the burner on the stove and pushed it down over the master.

post-2514-1288195550.jpg

post-2514-1288195577.jpg

post-2514-1288195603.jpg

I've learned so much from this build, thank you for sharing it and your techniques!

Thanks Shawn, glad to help. There will be an update soon (the end of the GB is fast approaching)but I am building away..gotta figure out how to post/link pics to the site, hopefully this weekend.

Cheers

Vaughn

Ok, now we see if I have figured out the picture posting stuff. The wings are on as are the tail feathers. I did some filling and sanding and fixed up a pin for the prop. The spats are just fitted, not glued..couldn't wait to see her on her feet !

milesm20519.jpg

milesm20518.jpg

milesm20517.jpg

Nice camo scheme...OOPS!

Just having some fun.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hey Mark, I thought of that too...kinda like a weathered wreck.

Building away, I added the bottom of the wing root fairing

milesm20523.jpg

The upper fairing was drawn out on thin sheet and then burnished with a round edged tool..in this case the end of a paint brush. Pressing it on the plastic causes it to curl.

milesm20525.jpg

Cut out, it was carefully tacked into place and glued down.

milesm20528.jpg