Miles M-20

spacewolf

Vaughn I can't say enough good things about the work you've done on this build...did you make the Vancouver show?

Thanks very much Ted,Mark, and Dave for the kind comments, I'm glad you are enjoying. Unfortunately Dave I wasn't able to attend the Vancouver show as I was moving out of the province.

Anyhoo.... on with the build. The move and life have cost me time which I am now scrambling to make up, and the MLB playoff's are cutting into my time as well !!! As usual I bounce from section to section to keep from getting bogged down, the cockpit is almost done, just waiting on a set of photo etch Sutton seatbelts to arrive to finish it off. (no, I'm not going to scratch them.. time is too short ! :evil_laugh: )

Time to get cracking on the gun bays, so with thin strips cut from sheet, larger bits cut from 1/8th sheet and my pre made guns we are off to see what kind of mess we can create.

post-2514-1287289062.jpg

As there are only a couple of poor shots of the bays I'm using my best guess at how they looked. First thin strips were cut and glued in as structure.

post-2514-1287289190.jpg

Next the thick strips were glued in to represent the ammo boxes.

post-2514-1287289268.jpg

With much cursing and repeated fitting the guides were glued in.

post-2514-1287289684.jpg

I had planned on making the cutouts in the guides and the linked ammo visible but don't have the time now to do it..I'll see what illusion I can create with paint.

post-2514-1287289783.jpg

post-2514-1287289830.jpg

The one good pic I have of the guns show the two middle guns forward, the two outer ones positioned to the rear but fitting the ammo guides showed this to be impossible. :evil_laugh: As well the under wing drawings show the ejector holes on an angle.... I think they were doing a lot of testing of different mountings so I decided to use a standard stagger mounting.

post-2514-1287290195.jpg

post-2514-1287290226.jpg

I'm not totally satisfied but it'll have to do. Final detailing and painting happens tomorrow, G'night all.

post-2514-1287290318.jpg

That is a lot of bending work in a very tight space. You did a good job.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hey Mark, thanks !...ya, I'm a bit 'twisted' myself :rolleyes: ....comes from sniffin' glue and styrene for most of my life !!!

Working away on painting and while the paint was drying I cut out the gun bay cover and the inner liner. Glued together and painted it looks rather serviceable.

post-2514-1287338777.jpg

post-2514-1287338805.jpg

I cut a small rod of stretched sprue for the prop rod. Gun bay colors are MM Acrylic RAF interior green with a wash of Vallejo black, ammo cans are Testors chrome silver. There is still lots to do yet.

post-2514-1287338831.jpg

You are indeed a magic man with styrene. So much fun to watch your build come along so very well. Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Hey Dan, glad you are having fun too ! As for magic ?..just having fun seeing what I can do.

Cheers

Vaughn

Great work Vaughn. That fuel line is awesome. Just wanted you to know that your build has forced me to rethink my approach to scratchbuilding and as a result I have been trying quite a few new things. Thanks a lot!

Great work Vaughn. That fuel line is awesome. Just wanted you to know that your build has forced me to rethink my approach to scratchbuilding and as a result I have been trying quite a few new things. Thanks a lot!

That is the greatest compliment you could possibly give me matt...I can't wait to see what you are up to !! :)

I'm working away at the photo etch seat belts... did I mention I HATE photo etch ? :goodjob: It has to be the most frustrating, nit picky stuff in the world..besides getting pet hair off your clothes !! There will be pics later but for right now I have the gun bay about done. I added the gun charging lines made from copper wire, then started playing with paint. I got some very fine gold and painted it on the area where the shells would show through the feed cutouts. once this was dry, fine lines of black were painted on. Then the edges were done with Vallejo oily steel to build up a bit of a lip. It's not the greatest but it looks good from about a foot away and time demands I get this thing finished so this is pretty much how it will stay.

post-2514-1287605862.jpg

post-2514-1287605884.jpg

Finally !!.. after much cursing and fighting with photo etch I got the seat belts done.. not my best effort, they were a pain from beginning to end, but they'll pass. I'll have the cockpit done tomorrow and be on to bigger and funner things ! WOO HOO !! :BANGHEAD2:

post-2514-1287618979.jpg

post-2514-1287618993.jpg

post-2514-1287619009.jpg

... did I mention I HATE photo etch ? :blah: It has to be the most frustrating, nit picky stuff in the world..

...That is cheifly the reason that you will not normally find any PE parts in my patterns!...(having said that, PE does have very many useful applications, and the etched detail fidelity is almost impossible to match, however, PE is not very '3D' sometimes, so I personally avoid it where possible...).

Derek

...That is cheifly the reason that you will not normally find any PE parts in my patterns!...(having said that, PE does have very many useful applications, and the etched detail fidelity is almost impossible to match, however, PE is not very '3D' sometimes, so I personally avoid it where possible...).

Derek

It does do wonders Derek and my hat is off to not only those who can work that magic but also those who provide these items....as you said "detail fidelity is almost impossible to match". ...and yet as you also said, the detail is not very 3-D. I know half my problem is lack of experience and not having the right tools but for this build the belts were needed. Next time I'm going to try doing them myself and see what I can come up with.

Cheers

Vaughn