P-40F/L Conversion Update

Bill M.

I have recently received a couple of inquiries as to the progress on the P-40F/L Conversion. Well, I just received a bit of an update with pictures from Derek Bradshaw who is preparing the masters. I don't have clearance to post the pictures and the details, but I will say this-- the conversion is coming along splendidly. I am continually impressed by the level of work and detail going into this conversion. Derek is a true master! I was particularly impressed by the level of interior detail going into this conversion. I still say that this will be, without a doubt, the best Merlin-powered Warhawk in any scale, whether kit or conversion. Believe me when I say you will not be disappointed in this conversion.

When will it hit the market?-- I would estimate it will be available in the next couple of months. That being said, please remember that Derek is working on it when time allows, and it could be delayed. I believe it will be marketed by Grey Matter Figures in the UK. I don't know whether they will have an outlet or distributor in the US. If not, you should be able to order it directly from Grey Matter.

And if you want to get an early start on your P-40F/L project, don't forget that Eli Raphael of Zotz Decals has the MTO P-40F/L decals already available which were designed for this conversion. They are superb as well.

Now, you ask-- why am I pitching this? No, I have no financial stake at all in this. I did assist both Eli and Derek in getting this project underway, and I simply would like to see a good Merlin-powered Warhawk in 1/32 scale... and it looks like that is going to happen!

Thanks for the heads up I have been wondering what was going on with this conversion. I wil definetly be waiting for it when it comes out. Is there any chance of getting some pics? Derek?........Pappy1

Thanks for the heads up I have been wondering what was going on with this conversion. I wil definetly be waiting for it when it comes out. Is there any chance of getting some pics? Derek?........Pappy1

Pappy,

I have seen recent photos but I don't feel like I have the clearance to post them-- Derek will have to make that call. And I would understand if he thinks that they should be kept under wraps. But, I think I can say that the pictures of the masters show that the conversion will be truly great. It is accurate and detailed to a degree that leaves me quite impressed. Derek Bradshaw is truly a master craftsman. Let me put it this way--- Many of us have longed for a Hasegawa kit of the P-40F/L. Well this conversion will be much better than what Hasegawa might have produced. Nothing against Hasegawa, but I don't think they have ever included the level of accurate detail that Derek is including on these masters. Also, it might help to know that the nose conversion is not likely to be one big hunk of resin. Instead, it will be made up of various parts, both interior and exterior. That is probably as far as I should go describing this, without further clearance from Derek. We won't be disappointed with this conversion.

Bill M.

Pappy,

I have seen recent photos but I don't feel like I have the clearance to post them-- Derek will have to make that call. And I would understand if he thinks that they should be kept under wraps. But, I think I can say that the pictures of the masters show that the conversion will be truly great. It is accurate and detailed to a degree that leaves me quite impressed. Derek Bradshaw is truly a master craftsman. Let me put it this way--- Many of us have longed for a Hasegawa kit of the P-40F/L. Well this conversion will be much better than what Hasegawa might have produced. Nothing against Hasegawa, but I don't think they have ever included the level of accurate detail that Derek is including on these masters. Also, it might help to know that the nose conversion is not likely to be one big hunk of resin. Instead, it will be made up of various parts, both interior and exterior. That is probably as far as I should go describing this, without further clearance from Derek. We won't be disappointed with this conversion.

Bill M.

Yes I agree Bill The level of detail will be much better than Hasagawa or any other company would take the time to do or to research. I cant wait.....Pappy1

Thanks for the update Bill. I would be quite happy to post some pictures, but Vasko Barbic (Warbird Productions) - whom I am making this pattern for, and which will ultimately find it's way to Grey Matter Figures for production - has requested that I do not post any pictures until the pattern is complete and ready for casting. So it is really Vasko's decision whether or not you see them? However, Bill is correct about this being a multi-part conversion (more like a mini-kit really) when completed. I shall be quickly approaching the tricky rear part very soon (the outlet duct, fairing and flap actuating mechanisms).

Best regards

Derek

Thanks for the update Bill. I would be quite happy to post some pictures, but Vasko Barbic (Warbird Productions) - whom I am making this pattern for, and which will ultimately find it's way to Grey Matter Figures for production - has requested that I do not post any pictures until the pattern is complete and ready for casting. So it is really Vasko's decision whether or not you see them? However, Bill is correct about this being a multi-part conversion (more like a mini-kit really) when completed. I shall be quickly approaching the tricky rear part very soon (the outlet duct, fairing and flap actuating mechanisms).

Best regards

Derek

Thanks Derek we will be watching.....Pappy1

Derek,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I have been saying that the conversion is turning out great, and now people can see for themselves. For those of us that have wanted a large scale P-40F/L, this is more than we could have imagined. I will probably get three of these conversions.

Also, though I have mentioned it before, for those that might have missed it, the Zotz 1/32 P-40F/L decals for this conversion are already available. The set includes markings for three MTO USAAF Warhawks and one Free French MTO Warhawk. They are excellent also. Check with Eli Raphael of Zotz Decals if you are interested.

Bill M.