1/24 Airfix Sea Harrier FRS1

PhilB

That's the way to do it! Love it, love it love it.

Off for a little lie down now. :crying: , where I will reconsider my focus on props and maybe, just maybe, I'll find the guts to give that one a bash. But it won't be anywhere near that good.

Andy,

Thanks for the kind words fella!

If you do have a go at it get the Flightpath FRS1 set and an extra supply of Milliput as you're gonna need it!

I'm going back to props next. Fed up with filling intakes on jets!!!

Phil

Phil,

Top class work my friend! I know from experience how much work went into making it look as fantastic as it does :lol:

Great stuff :)

Chris.

Thanks Chris, having seen your brilliant FA2 I know what you went through too. They would make a good matching pair!

Phil

• 1 month later...
Superb! I wish Tamiya, or Revell, or Dragon, or Hasegawa, would bring out a 1/32 version of what will probably be the last all British fighter. :rolleyes:

Thanks Ray for your kind comments!

"Kag", Yes indeed and If what I've read is true in some cases "down south" up close and personal with guns! Don't think we'll ever see that again!

Phil

• 8 months later...

Phil,

thanks for pointing me here. Lovely build and the different coloured fuel tanks just takes the cake. How did you fill in all the rivets? I tried CA but ended up using Gunze putty all the way. Unfortunately some of them tend to flake off.

...Makes me wanna open up the box again for a bit of mind wandering.......

Thanks for the kind words.

I think I used nearly a whole tube of Humbrol filler!

Trouble is its a bit soft. If I were doing it again I would use a "Tipp-Ex" typewriter correction pen and remove the excess with a cotton bud soaked in Isopropyl alcohol.

It would probably need a couple of coats but no dust!

The steps on the top of the fuse were filled with bent card and Milliput. The only thing that was strong and hard enough for the job.

I also remember the white metal seat cushions were too small for the seat pan so they were also replaced with Milliput cushions.

Its a real labour of love/hate but then you already know that from your GR3 build.

Good Luck!

Phil

EDIT: If you can find it have a look at Chris E's FA2 version of the kit, absolute stunner.

Edited by PhilB

Hi Phil

Well thats just...you know it....just like ...uuhhhmmm!!...well as you can see I am just lost for words.

What I'm trying to say is ...that its just like the real thing...nuff said!

Congratulations Phil....fantastic model and happy Xmas to you mate

Cheers

Fozzy

Phil,

I have a great affection for the Sea Harrier and your build is a joy to behold. Absolutely stunning work, if I ever get my hands on that kit I would surely want it to look like yours. Very well done indeed! :thumbsup: :goodjob:

Hi Phil

Well thats just...you know it....just like ...uuhhhmmm!!...well as you can see I am just lost for words.

What I'm trying to say is ...that its just like the real thing...nuff said!

Congratulations Phil....fantastic model and happy Xmas to you mate

Cheers

Fozzy

Thanks Foz, coming from you that is praise indeed!

Hope you had a good Xmas and don't get too plastered tonight!

Happy New Year!

Phil,

I have a great affection for the Sea Harrier and your build is a joy to behold. Absolutely stunning work, if I ever get my hands on that kit I would surely want it to look like yours. Very well done indeed! :thumbsup: :goodjob:

Thanks for the very kind words.

Phil,

Will check out the other build. You happen to still have the drawings for your scratch built air-brakes? Looks convincing. Any problems making all wheels touching the ground?

I have been trying to find the FA2 build as well but but I'm having no luck, maybe its was on another site.

As regards the airbrake bay, I've dug out my old instructions.

I believe I used kit part 134 which is the blank that goes under the airbrake.

I think I cut out the centre and used it as a frame to make a card box with internal ribbing. The ram was a piece of rod inserted into tube.

As regards the wheels, I remember it was a bit of a job to get her to sit right.

As far as I remember the outriggers have some vertical adjustment which I set up and then glued.

Got a feeling I may well have had to replace the internal leg piece with longer rod to get enough adjustment.

The SAM Sea Harrier Datafile is an incredibly good reference point for the build.

I will try and get her out later today and take some more pictures of the airbrake bay for you.

Phil