supershiny canopies

steef237

Surfing the net a few years ago, I found a really helpfull tip. I didn't invent it but I've used it numerous times now, and after I started on my Su-27 canopy, I realised that I haven't read it over here so here we go,

Toothpaste....... Yeah the stuff that you use (almost) daily!!!

It can be used as a perfect polishing compound. Really safe on the canopy, never let me down.

Maybe you guys already knew about it, but perhaps there are some guys who didn't so give it a try....

Stephen

If you want a bit of bite to it try Crest "Pro-Health".

Its a bit like gritty blue jelly but it does work wonders for polishing. Might be a bit much for canopies (I use the 3 grades of Tamiya poishing compound for canoopies) but this toothpaste works awesome as a polish for prepping my models for aluminum kitchen foil as well.

:party0023:

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks for posting that tip Stephen. One caveat though is that you must use the old-fashioned 'paste' type, and not the new-fangled 'gel' type - which doesn't work at all!

Kev

Is blue or red striped best? :evil_laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

It is good tip ;-)

I have another tip for polishing canopies :popcorn:

canopy-01.jpg

If I didnt know better, that looks like a vac pull of a bearcat canopy........... I vaguely remember that nasty seem down the middle of my trumpy canop.

Cheers,

Brian

If I didnt know better, that looks like a vac pull of a bearcat canopy........... I vaguely remember that nasty seem down the middle of my trumpy canop.

Cheers,

Brian

I would put my money on a viper canopy......

Thought I'd add my twopennyworth.

I use a fine polishing stick normally used for nails (the one's with 4 different grades on the same stick are great) to remove the seam/blemish. I then use Mastercasters foam sanding sticks, blue then white to polish.

If you have some of these that are well used then so much the better as new one's can be a bit aggressive to start with. Then use Mastercasters Miracle polisher set, grey crescent sander followed by the "sky" coloured part of the straight stick then the white side. I am always carefull to allow the canopy to keep cool. Sometimes when you are polishing the heat can make the canopy a bit "sticky". I then finish off with Micro-gloss cream on a soft cloth then dunk it in clear.

Phil