Iron Dog

Koala

Here is my attempt to date. A very big up-front thanks to LSP Matty for help in getting this far.

Cockpit from portside showing scratched fuel selector, elevator trim wheel (out of focus), stb side foot pedal thingy, mid section of instrument panel and bits of plumbing etc.

post-697-1263808221.jpg

'Pit lookin in the starboard door. Main thing of interest here are the throttle quadrant linkages which I spent a stupid amount of time trying to replicate something along the lines of what's there.

You can also see the big switchy sort of thing at the bottom of the intrument panel. Using the PE panel supplies means cutting of the moulded representation of this and settling for it being represented by a flat painted shape on the PE part. It really sticks out in photos so I fiddled with tiny bits of brass and evergreen to get something not as good as what I cut off the original plastic panel.

My other gripes about the panel are the top two sections are made flat in one piece. The top panel sat out proud in the real thing. It was nail biting to separate the PE metal without wrecking the whole piece and/or the pre-paint job. And I should have repainted the pre-painted panel anyhow, the pre-paint job on this looks kind of dead despite a drybrushing before assembly.

post-697-1263808471.jpg

Here is my entry for the dirtiest seat-belt of 2010 competition. I used the pre-painted PE as templates to cut up some carefully hoarded old wine bottle foil. I can never get the PE to drape in anyway without heating it - rooting the pre-paint job... I'm not too unhappy with these, although its funny the difference between what my failing eyesight tells me I've done and what the photo's show. The dry brushed metal on the seat is not quite as offensive to the eye as it looks in this shot.

post-697-1263809211.jpg

This is how I think I'm going to get around the radio issue. (Don't look right, don't fit right and don't tally up with the photos showing RAF and RAAF '39s without visible radio gear).

I got the idea from Steve Evan's Airacobra build featured in the October 2009 edition of Model Airplane International. He used an empty radio shelf in the radio position, made from PE from his "spares box". His looks good and plausible, but was beyond my ability to reproduce. Here is my simple alternative mounting frame. If anybody asks it is as locally fabricated by RAAF fitters for the later installation of an RAAF radio set.... as per the reference book and photographs (that my dog ate).

Anyway... painted and scratched up, these radio 'brackets' might look better than nothing? Anyone agree?

Oh, and by the way, can I join the "I use beer cans for modelling" club now?

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

post-697-1263809870.jpg

Lovely work so far Koala (nice to see your work again). I love the weathering. I also like the 'not me gov' look in the eyes of big Matt's dog :)

Cheers

Derek

PS LSP Matty is a pretty top guy, but don't tell him I said so, it'll only go to his head! :speak_cool:

Koala wrote:

Oh, and by the way, can I join the "I use beer cans for modelling" club now?

Yes, we are a small group, but getting larger. Nice work there K, and I like the solution for the radio; prolly got stolen anyway. I have one of these (US) in my stash, and so it's good to see this. Nice scratching in the pit. Have you thought about a clear coat to seal it up???

Hi there fellas. Thanks for the kind responses.

Mike... Have you thought about a clear coat to seal it up??? I'm starting suspect that you might just enjoy stiring the old pot just a little eh? How's things mate? Guess who's out of their time this month? :rolleyes:

Hi there fellas. Thanks for the kind responses.

Mike... Have you thought about a clear coat to seal it up??? I'm starting suspect that you might just enjoy stiring the old pot just a little eh? How's things mate? Guess who's out of their time this month? :P

Hehe...I know what ur on about... :thumbsup:

You're welcome for any stuff mate. Happy to help. Like the beer can work...very neat.

Pits coming along great.

Cheers Matty

That cockpit is outstanding! The consistantly high level of skill I see posted in this forum is beyond anything I would have believed possible not so long ago. Work like this inspires me to develop my own skills. Please keep the pictures of this project coming!