Tamiya F-16 California ANG

Daywalker

Small update, but at least it is something! I started painting the cockpit parts last night, beginning with an overall coat of Tamiya XF-63 German Gray. Then, I mixed up some XF-66 Light Gray and carefully built up the lightened color, attempting to achieve a tonal effect. I'll give these a day to set up, then an over spray to protect them and will then mask them up for the seat cushion colors, as well as any other colors.

001-2.jpg

001-1.jpg

DAAAAAAANG Frank! Niiice Zero, that is flipping gorgeous dude! :blink: :bow: Whooeee, thanks for sharing that. Can't believe how crisp you got the paint on all those canopy frames. WOW! Man, you got the paint stuff down cold You've REALLY got me sitting up and taking notice on how this F-16 is going to turn out now.

I've been shopping around for this F-16 kit, and lo and behold...there is one at the LHS. SWEET! Tomorrow, it's mine. :) After seeing all those cockpit parts layed out, I can't wait to get it and rip the box open. Ooooooh that poor SR-71 build is going to suffer. heh heh. :hmmm: Looking good buddy! Russ

Thanks Russ, glad you enjoyed it! I am really looking forward to seeing what I can do in 1/32 scale. I have built 1/48 exclusively for many, many years and the larger scales appeal to me as the canvas is so much larger. This is fun!!!

I forgot to answer your questions about the early F-16's. The Block 25 is a "C" model, with the larger horizontal tailplanes and other upgrades. Quickboost makes a resin set of the earlier Block 5-10 floating elevators. As far as other differences, these links should answer any questions you have. If there is anything else I can help with, please just ask!

Here are a couple of links that might help you out:

F-16 Block breakdown

F-16 Versions

• 1 month later...

It's been a long time since my last update, but I have been working on this one here and there. After all of the pre-shading, washes, drybrushing, and other techniques- I decided that the gray in the cockpit was too dark and too "blue" So, I dropped all of the parts in a bath of Simple Green to dtrip the paint. I started over, giving everything a base coat of Tamiya XF-19 Sky Gray. Painted some details, and masked off the consoles. Gave everything a satin coat of varnish last night so weathering can commence. While I have been doing this, I got the intake glued and the seams removed. I also assembled the main parts of the landing gear, and painted those in their base coat of white after a coat of primer. Here are a couple of pics:

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

001-3.jpg

003-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much guys, I appreciate the feedback! Right now, I am trying to fit the front part of the intake to the lower fuselage. The tolerances are so tight on this kit, a slighty heavy application of paint can throw off the alignment. Amazing!

That is looking GREAT so far! My 1:32 build queue for 2010 is already full (Trumpy Tomcat X2, Academy C-Hornet and D-Hornet), so I won't be getting around to one of these any time soon, but I'm definitely going to be getting one. I started one one of these things when they first came out, but due to lack of confidence in my skills at that time, I ended up giving it away with the engine partially built. If you could jog my memory, aside from the removable engine, do these things assemble the same (or similar) to their 1:48 scale little brothers?