P-51B Mustang

big matt

Thanks for the comments guys!Well I have really done it now. My workbench looks like a miniature surfboard shop with all the resin everywhere but she's really beginning to look like a Mustang now! I have a bunch of pictures for this update as I shot a bunch of angles and need to make some corrections. I wanted to show the joints. This is a really nice kit in my opinion. I just wish I had more experience dealing with an all resin model. I would be making fewer mistakes for sure.

mustang8018.jpg

mustang8022.jpg

Landing light still needs the vac cover.

mustang8019.jpg

I was really worried about this joint. But it was ok.

mustang8020.jpg

mustang8021.jpg

to be continued...

Matt, you're doing a great job on it, specially since it's your first venture into a full resin kit. I know I'm not ready for one of those yet.

I really like your workbench to, is it always that tidy?

Fred

Hey Kevin, no worries, I see it now. Unfortunately I used half a bottle of CA to put those things on there. It is going to be fun trying to get that one off. I will try.

Looks good Matt

Try running that horz. stab joint under hot tap water, flex it up a little and let cool under cold tap water. You can "mold" resin a little with heat hot water. This should fix it. This is how you fix warped resin parts, should work the other way so you can warp it back to shape

My Fisher Fury fuse was to wide in the front. A quick run with hot water as mentioned above fixed the problem

Ron

Ok, back to work. At least just a little bit.

I have decided on a paint scheme for this one. It will be Frances B. Too! of Capt. Ralph Hamilton. Apparently Preddy flew this aircraft on D-day. I liked the paint and thought it just busy enough for my taste.

ho-h3pro.jpg

From what I've seen of your painting capabilities Matt, this ought to look completely wicked when you're through with it. I myself have never tackled a full resin kit, not sure if I ever will. Good job so far; I like it a lot.

:frantic:

Daaaaang Matt, did I see a MAP stashed in that side-pocket in the pit?! ;) Show off. :P This is really coming together nicely buddy. This kit just oozes quality, I'm gonna have to get one. I can handle a resin kit no prob,....but I was kinda curious how the vac canopy pieces were to fit? They look really well molded, but thicker than most usual vac canopies (which is good!) Did you run into any probs? I think I would've used a thin bead of 5-minute epoxy to install, how'd you do it? Came out really nice.

Can't wait to see the next pics! later, Russ

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Fred, I figured I had to give a resin kit a try. It is an interesting challenge.

Ron, thanks for the tip. I will have to give that a try. I found out how resin reacts to a little heat trying to dry some parts with a hair dryer on low... Well let's just say that I got lucky and did not tweak the fuselage too bad.

Kevin, I am looking forward to this paint job but am worried about all the masking I will need to do and hope the primer holds over the resin. I am also nervous about handpainting the "Francis B. Too"

Hahaha Russ! That was a map! Well, Jerry molded it into the case. The bummer is it is now invisible in the cockpit. As far as the vac canopy goes it is the first vac I have used so I have no point of reference. They have nice panel lines but they disappeared after I put the future on. They did clear up quite well though and Jerry gives you a plug that you could mold new ones from as well. It is a very, very nice kit and you would make a real beauty from it.

I fit the canopy with white glue to position it and then ran a thin bead of slow ca along the seams. That filled any gaps and then I faired it into the fuse with Mr. Surfacer 1000. It really didn't give me too bad a time. I now have to attach the landing light cover which is a vac piece too.

Lookin good man. I recommend that you wet sand the surfaces on the wings and fuselage before you paint. This will not only smooth it out but give the paint some "tooth". I use a few passes with 400 grit and then go to 600 grit paper. Everyone has their own techniques though,

J

Lookin good man. I recommend that you wet sand the surfaces on the wings and fuselage before you paint. This will not only smooth it out but give the paint some "tooth". I use a few passes with 400 grit and then go to 600 grit paper. Everyone has their own techniques though,

J

Good advise, hate to see you mask something and pull paint. A good sanding will avoid this from happening

For a first time resin project you are doing a great job, Matt!

And I had forgotten what a nice job Jerry has done on this kit! I have one in the stash too, and is the reason I passed on the Trumpeter release.

Jerry, thanks. I will do some sanding for sure. The last thing I want is lifted paint! :popcorn:

Ray, it is a nice kit and it is a B model not a mess.

Well, just a minor update.

I added the gun ports and used the barrels from the Dragon F6 kit that I will never build. Every picture I could find and the drawings I have show the guns more parallel to the ground than the wing.

mustang9001.jpg

I repositioned the horizontal tail surfaces. I did both because after correcting the right one, I saw how lopsided the left one was. Trust me, they are pretty straight now.

mustang9003.jpg

I have been trying to get the flaps and ailerons set up next. They still need some work.

mustang9005.jpg

That's it for now.

Sweet Matt! Those guns look right-on man. I got the positions wrong on the 'A' I was building by about 2mm too far apart. Too far to be perfect, too close to move without screwing something up. BLAST! That was the no-go point on that build, and I haven't touched it since. Watching this go together is getting me pumped up to start whacking on it again, Love this kit! Sure does cut a beeeautiful profile. Can't wait to see the next pics! :popcorn: