Airfix 1/24th Mustang

Ironwing

Wow! It will be a shame to paint over such work. Looks like the real thing.

Cheers,

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for looking in.The wells dont get painted. There is a major misunderstanding of how the wells on the Mustang are finished. The available data is confusing but most if not all of what is seen in todays text uses Warbirds as subject material. If you couple that with other photos of ANG birds, and field applied finishes, the true manner in which the wells were finished on production airplanes becomes completely lost. If there is evidence of the wells, on production airplanes, being finished in yellow or green chomate from the factory, Im unable to find it. I think almost seventy years of bad information has taken root and become gospel. I hope to change that thinking. I must admit however that chromates were used in the wells once the airframe hit the field. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing which airframes were refinished and how they were done. Its anyones guess at this point.

I do believe that the wells left the factory unfinished on production machines with the exception of the main spar. Thats what Im working towards here. Your comment about it "looking like the real thing" makes me feel great. Thats the impression Im trying to leave the viewer with.

Many, many thanks...

Best,

Geoff

Geoff-

Absolutely stunning craftsmanship. I come here, to your thread, for a daily shot of inspiration-Thanks for sharing your amazing talent!

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

I fear this might become a mutual admiration society but, if a builder like you, finds inspiration in my work, Im truely flattered considering the talent level you display. Not much else I can say...thanks very much.

Best

Geoff

Brilliant and inventive as ever Geoff, it's really good to have you back in harness.

Best, Jean

Jean,

Glad to see you back haunting these halls. Always good to hear from you. I do wish you would get your Spit back up on the table. Im sure many here havent seen it and would go absolutely slack jawed if they did. Just the same, please visit more often...

Best,

Geoff

Man I will never reach the level you have taken this thing but I am watching with great interest :popcorn: You are the dean of detail that is for sure. By any chance you got the patterns for that wheel well and can I get a copy of those for a future build of mine?

Man I will never reach the level you have taken this thing but I am watching with great interest :popcorn: You are the dean of detail that is for sure. By any chance you got the patterns for that wheel well and can I get a copy of those for a future build of mine?

Hi Dave,

Did you want patterns in 32nd or 24th? I think I have a pattern for the wing skin but not the wing ribs...Let me know...Good to hear from you.

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings All,

Not much progress but never the less...progress of sorts. I fumbled and struggled with the fuel valve for quite a while trying to decide how to make it. A couple of them didnt come out so good. There's a good one in the basement someplace... maybe stuck to the dog?...Im not sure. Then there is the one here. Seems lots of folks like to take pictures of stuff on money so I thought I would try it too.

The fuel selector valve on the Mustang resides in the back inner corner of the left well. There is a torque shaft which runs up thru the wing into the cockpit. The control for it is found on the lower right corner of the center pedestal. Its comprised of five intake ports (one from each fuel tank) and the fuel feed line that exits the top of the valve body and goes forward to the engine.

In this case its made up of five 1 mm hex nuts, joined in the center around a piece of rod stock. The output line sits on top of the plastic rod and hides it. Im trying to decide how to make the fuel lines. They are part aluminum tube that connect to the valve body via rubber hose. Ive ordered in some hardware to make the hose fittings.

fuelselectvalve.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

The fuel valve is located in the upper corner of the well.The platform the valve body is sitting on is temporary. The finished mounting plate has since replaced it. Indicated by the white arrow is the fitting thru which the fuel line from the right wing tank passes in order to get to the fuel valve. Its constructed of two washers to form the flange and two 1 mm hex nuts.

Also now in place are wing fillet screws which hold the fillet to the top of the wing. On the prototype, they come thru the wing and screw into threaded fittings. In this case, they are 0.5 mm hex nuts with a 0.5mm rivet in the center to simulate the fillet screw. There is also 0.8 mm flat washer under the hex nut. All are of nickle plated brass. Needless to say, there is a ton of stuff in the wells, but Im gettin there.

wheelwellsshowingfuelvalveandfuellinefitting.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

Somewhat closer shot to better illustrate the fillet screws. All the hardware used this far comes from Scale Hardware. They have all sorts of miniature hardware in brass, nickle plated brass, and stainless. You can find them on line at scalehardware.com...its worth a look.

wheelwellrightshowingfilletscrews.jpg

whilst I fiddle with those itty bitty nuts and things, to break the monotany I started on the tip lights. This has caused some confusion. When the light is on, it looks green. When its off, it looks blue. You'll see in the finishing instructions on kits that call for a blue light rather than a green one. That isnt incorrect. In the case of the Mustang, the light appears blue when not lighted. They were made by vacforming the kit originals.

tiplightsruf.jpg