Airfix 1/24th Mustang

Ironwing

Now you realy made me think about where the limits of scale modeling are Geoff :hmmm:

Perfect job and looking forward for updates !

Have fun (I bet you will) :)

Miko

There will be a lot of us coming back to check out this build(me for one)when we get the Tam. Mustang,just to see if we are getting it right. :speak_cool:

love the wheel well detail as well as everything else..looks the real deal. Quite simply "One of a kind". :popcorn:

William,

These kinds of comments are most flattering. Thank you ever so much

Hi Geoff,

I was in the neighbourhood, so I'd thought that I would just pop in to see how you are progressing? I am still awed by how realistic that wheel well bay looks - I think that between the likes yourself and Pete (Fleischmann), you have now attained a completely new level of advanced detailing and scratchbuilding that can only but inspire us lesser mortals - Thank you.

Regards

Derek

Derek,

Thank you. Means alot coming from you.

Now you realy made me think about where the limits of scale modeling are Geoff :hmmm:

Perfect job and looking forward for updates !

Have fun (I bet you will) :)

Miko

Miko,

Thankyou kindly for your kindness...The only limits in anything are the ones we put on ourselves.

Jeeuzz Geoff :BANGHEAD2: Man been awhile since I have prowled this thread but your work level and skill has definitely moved up a couple of notches showing itself in the wheel wells :speak_cool: Cheers Kevin

Kev,

Thanks for looking in. Glad youre enjoying it.

All,

Ill have an update shortly. Ive done a bit more detailg in the wheel wells with much more to do. Ive been mostly concentrating on bringing the wing outer surfaces up to snuff. I chose to do it this way in fear that sanding and finishing debri would get into the wells (despite my efforts to keep it out) and I wouldnt be able to get it out once the details were all in. OK, Im a coward, I admit it :). The ID lights were a real bugger to get right too. I had a problem keeping them aligned properly. Ive also finished off the flap slides. Like I said, Ill put up pics shortly.

As always, hope everyone is well...

Best,

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings All,

Been a while since my last update. Ive been doing donkey work on the wing and really didnt think you needed to see that. I wanted to get the exterior wing surfaces very close close to finished because I dont want to do gobs of work sanding and finishing after the wells are complete. Ive finished the wing surfaces , redone the recognition lights, finished off the wing tips, put the details in the flap slides, and begun installing more plumbing in the wells allong with adding the pressure accumulator in the right well. Pics to follow...

The near finised wing surfaces with the ailerons and flaps plugged in...At this point the flaps slides have been given their final details. That means the two cutouts you see and the end has been beveled inward. This bevel is need to clear the aileron control linkage when the flap retracks. Fuel filler caps have also been put in place to check fit. The surfacing of the wing took quite a bit of time. Panel lines were filled with round styrene stock welded inn then sanded smooth. The gun bay covers also had to be added and sanded in. All in all it was a good deal of time spent with a sanding block and water. Of course, even tho I covered the well apertures, gunk got in there...more cleaning.

wingwithfinishedflapsandaileronsinplace.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

Closer shot og the flap slide details. I must say i was a bit nervous adding the openings in the slide. I go tthem started with a Dremel then finished them by hand to make sure I didnt screw the pooch. Note the outboard end of the slide and the bevel. Fuel filler caps are fitted and waiting PE covers for detail.

flapdetailinboardailronandfuelcap.jpg

ailronandflapdetaillookingoutboard.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

I took some time away from the wing and finished off the front face of the dog house with honeycomb screen from Verlinden. The lower radiator didnt have the usual straight grid pattern. It should also be natural metal. A baffel with need to be added behind it to close it off.

doghousecomplete.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

The pressure accumulator is found in the right wheel well of all Mustangs. Serves an an expansion tank which absorbs shocks within the system to prevent line ruptures. That little assembly took nine pieces to complete. The biggest problem was getting the top and bottom radiused covers sit cleanly in the center. I had to start with a tube in a tube. The inner tube is left protruding so the top and bottom pieced (also tubes) could be slid into place. The ends were then radiused. The securing straps are made from lead foil. The finished assembly sits on a radiused platform attached to the center rib. The fuel pressure line from the outboard tank is visible on the right

pressureaccumulatorinstalled.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

I must confess and probably start a new thread for this. One of the fellows over on the 51 SIG started rebuilding an 18nth scale Mustang. I couldnt resist...heres the beginning and part of the reason the 24th scale build stalled for a bit.

Suffice it to say...its bigThats a Revell/Hasegawa 32nd B fuselage sitting in front of it. Surprisinging, even tho it's more toy than scale model, its pretty well shaped. That isnt to say it wont take a great deal of "heavy lifting" to complete. It will for sure but the bones are a good start.

The spinner has been replaced with a corrected vac form

bigbirdcomparisonto32nd.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

As it is from the box, the spinner fron cone is too short and the rear section too long. All dimensions were derived from the NAA engineering drwngs. The cone was lengthened and the backing plate reduced overall in length. Each piece was the vacformed. The original parts were left in place within the vac form shell for strength.The prop shank cutout is shaped sorta like a peanut with half of it residing in the cone and the other half in the backing plate.

spinnernewbigbird.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

In order to get a scale appearance at the opening for the prop shank, the inner form was ground away around the vac form outer shell so when you look at the spinner, it has a nice thin wall thickness but remains sturdy overall.

spinnerinplaceonbigbirdshowingwallthickness.jpg

spinnerinteriorbigbird.jpg

spinnerbackplatedetailsbigbird.jpg

spinnerbackplateshowingshankholdersbigbird.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

The prop blades needed just as much rework. I cant begin to tell you how many hours of sanding it took to change the shape of the blade. It was remarkably thick and mishapen. I plan on casting the finished blades. Sanding all four would take forever. This is the blade prior to the addition of the cuff.

propbladeendviewbigbird.jpg

spinnerinplaceshowingcutoutbigbird.jpg

propbladereworkonbigbird.jpg

Thats it for me Guys. Ill start a new thread for the eigtheen scale Mustang shortly. Right now however I need to get to the twentyfourth scale Airfix.

Hope everyone is well...

Best,

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing

spinnerinplaceshowingcutoutbigbird.jpg

Very nice alignment.

Let's see. First, 1/32nd scale. Then, 1/24th scale. Then, 1/18th scale. You're on a roll. What's next?

Beautiful work, Geoff.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37