Violet Lightning--Improved N1K2-J

lright guys, I'm tired of giving you the nickel and dime treatment. I made the big surge this is the completed N1K2-J except for the antennae wire which I'll add later. Its mounted to the base which is supposed to simulate an island airstrip inthe Pacific. The Pilot and his flag are sill under construction and will also be added later.

post-345-1248646028.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the results so far, its just as I pictured it in my mind. For the detail guys and George fans, notide the air intake on the front of the windscreen. The kit version is very flat but in the images I've studied its about 3 times taller so I created one from styrene and glued it on. It gives a higher profile which patches the 1/1 scale version.

post-345-1248646365.jpg

I added the throttle quadrant, gun site and plexiglas armor plating for the front windscreen were added just before I glues the windscreen on. I feel such elation at this point I could jump for joy, this is my favorite phase of modeling...viewing the completed piece and being satisfied with it.

post-345-1248646624.jpg

This underside shot shows the number 75 I sprayed on the landing gear doors yesterday. First I printed the font and size from the PC and printer the layed Tamiya tape over it. I could see through the tape so I just cut around the number and instantly had the paint mask. I"m really sold on painting features of the model over using decals when possible. For this model the only decals are the tail codes and the blue/yellow/red decals on the landing gear doors.

post-345-1248646815.jpg

This shot hopefully shows the window that is usually overlooked in models of the N1K2. It allows light inside the cockpit for the ground crew when they are working inside the fuselage. I just drilled it out and put a window over it cut from shipping tape.

post-345-1248647082.jpg

One last overall shot for now until I install the pilot figure and call it done. The battery pack is installed under the base and thank God it works. I'll have it running in the images with the pilot figure which should hopefully take place later this week of by the end of next weekend. As a typical modeler would act, I'm already geeking out about my next project....we're a pitiful bunch aren't we? :blink: :( :lol:

post-345-1248647230.jpg

Fantastic work mate, the finished model is awesome! Very well painted and weathered. I love the base too, and adding the pilot figure should set the whole thing off beautifully. All the extra work you've put in has really paid off. Congrats on a great model!

Kev

Love your George ! Very nice and clean build, excellent weathering. An inspiring build through and through !

Hubert.

PS: thanks for your landing lights discovery on the Navy Japanese A/C. I had missed that one, but I am definitely not an expert on Japanese WWII planes. :blink:

Whoohoo!!! :rolleyes: :) B) Sweetness Wingman! Love the weathering and diorama-base, excellent! Really, really nice build. Soooo,....inquiring minds gotta know...what's the next project you're 'geeking out' on? :P ;)

Can't wait to see the finale pics buddy,...this is looking so cool. BANZAI!!!!!!

Guys: I really appreciate all the encouraging comments, coming from the group of quality model builders at LSP gives it more weight in my opinion. You fella's constantly inspire me to take it to the next level.

• 2 weeks later...