Violet Lightning--Improved N1K2-J

another shot at some weathering and you might notice the nav lights on top of the wing. I nearly missed these but again after studying photos for hours I realized it has two on the top of each wing.

post-345-1246150951.jpg

Here's a better angle that shows both nav lights and the "kanji" ??Japanese writting on the wing. Might even show some of the weathering. I'm doing this just a little at the time so it doesn't look like it was all done at once in a hail storm but over a couple of months or more. Blistering sun, salt spray, rain, etc....

post-345-1246151087.jpg

One more.... Oh, :blink: I forgot to say...go back to the image of the landing gear and see the difference in how far the hydrolic cylinder is extended on the kit piece. It was probably modeled after an aircraft that was not resting on its own weight. With my model, it'll have a full load of fuel, bullets and two bombs. The white metal parts have about half the cylinder length showing which looks more like the images I've seen of loaded aircraft. No contest, if you're going to build this kit I'd highly recommend spending the $14 for the landing gear pieces.

post-345-1246151552.jpg

Hello Kevin, I ordered the landing gear from Hayes Hobbies in Fayetteville N.C. but I"m sure there are other locations that have them. Do a search on Scale Aircraft Conversions or 1/32 Ki-84 accessories to find out where your closest provider would be. The new landing gear had to be "jinked" a bit to make them work properly. First I drilled a hole into the top of the white metal landing gear and the same sized hole through the center of the "connecting" piece of the kit landing gear. I cut the top portion off of the kit landing gear used a small section of a paper clip and glued it thorugh the holes to help hold them together...so far so good.

Hello Harvey, I'll be glad to share the process I used but the landing gear legs are glued in so I can't post pics of the completed product. I can draw enlarged images of what I did if that would help, just let me know if thats what you want. This aircraft has tall, bare metal landing gear that shows lots or detail when compared to something like a Spitfire or a P-39. I suggest this step for anybody who intends to build this model. The cost is reasonable and the white metal gear is more detailed, stronger and really gives the right look / stance.

Harvey, I'll be glad to make drawings and combine them with images of the installed landing gear. If scratchbuilding the cockpit bothers you I'd order the Aires cockpit for the Ki-84 (AHM-2084) $33. The "Hayate" cockpit is similar to the N1K2 and it should fit with very little tweaking. Two more aftermarket items that would really set this kit off are the Master Model type 99 cannon barrels (MAST-32007) $14 and the Engines - N - Things resin Homare engine for $20 if you can find it. As far as building this kit rest easy...if you hit a snag just contact us here at LSP.

I didn't get to work on the drawings yet Harvey but will do so soon. One last note about your kit would be the decals. I tried one of mine and they did not work well because of their age I suppose. I painted my markings and used some decals from another kit. I know "Yellow Hammer" made a set of decals for the George years ago but there are possibly other decal sheets that could be used if you didn't want to paint them. There is also a dry transfer sheets at Hobby Decal intended for the A6M5 that would probably work.

Okay Harvey, here are the images you requested to explain how I converted the Scale Aircraft Conversion white metal landing gear designed for the Hasegawa Ki-84 so it would work on the N1K2 George. This image shows an overview of all the steps. Remember I'm not a pro at technical drawings but hopefully this will help.

post-345-1246660561.jpg

Hey guys :lol: ...I just realized how many images I'm posting and many of them are not of the model itself. I'm not trying to abuse the privilage or run an info-mercial on you. Remember my original post said I was going to keep this one very simple and basic...well forget that:P The deeper I dig with this model and reference sources the more I like what is there. I just sprung for this very nice book that focuses on the George as well as mentioning other aircraft. Either way, its all related to building this model and since other guys have this kit and are expressing interest I'm adding points of interest that might help them so hang in there and hold on.

post-345-1246661219.jpg