Violet Lightning--Improved N1K2-J

Here's a very nice image I got from the internet which shows about all the detail you need to complete the landing gear bays. Notice the black rectangle shaped bar that connects the U shaped piece to the floor / roof of the gear bays. Thats the piece that the kit doesn't give you. Its very easy to make and if you don't it could cause you to connect the U shaped piece directly to the top of the LG bays and the doors would be half shut or half open depending on which side of the beer mug you prefer :rolleyes: :unsure: .

post-345-1247449034.jpg

Oooooh, that is a nasty image.....sorry for the phuzzy photos. My wifes camers is stuck on portrait mode and now I'm not getting the nice, crisp detail shots I was getting before with In could switch to auto / macro mode. Hopefully you can see enough to get the idea. If not, let me know and I'll post some clearer shots later. Here's one more that shows the completed landing gear bays with all the parts I added. I tried from a different angle and distance that might be in focus.

post-345-1247449565.jpg

Attention "Team George" members and future George builders. Have you noticed that the N1K2 doesn't have a landing light of any type? I've been studying the kit and images all this time and it just hit me....ZOIKS!! As Shaggy and Scobby Doo would say. So what gives? Didn't they expect them to operate in low light conditions? As far as I can tell all other Japanese aircraft had landing lights of some sort...Kevin, John, Hubert, help me out on this one.

getting down to the nitty gritty stuff now. I painted the wooden head rest and since this pilot is a flight leader according to the white and blue bands on his aircraft, his crew went to the trouble of installing a padded headrest. I'm thinking seriously about making better seat belts but at this stage I'm wondering if its worth it.

This is the wooden base (picture frame) that I'll use and the white platform will be covered with diorama material. Those long, dangly wires you've been watching all this time will finally be pulled down through those two holes and connected to the battery mount. Its the black thing sitting on top but it will be mounted in a trench carved into the wood underneath.

post-345-1248132558.jpg

Great progress mate. Those cannon barrels look fantastic - much better than the kit ones. I plan to extend the head rest on my build, as it is too short and squat. I'll leave the width, but extend the height by as much as the kit canopy will allow (I haven't checked how much that is yet!).

Looking forward to seeing your base come to life.

Kev