Hayate!

Tim,

Thanks for the info. I have had the chance to peruse the Japanese Aircraft Equipment book by Mikesh. Might just have to pick that one up. The book you refer to is a little pricey... I am leaning toward bare metal as I want something from 1945. I know that would not preclude aotake, especially for an aircraft based in China or Korea, where the life span may have been a bit longer.

Doing the research makes it fun for me. I chose to join this group build because I had never done a Japanese subject. I just don't remember having this much trouble with Luftwaffe subjects. ;) Now let's see which shade of RLM 76 is right today. Or is it 84? Or 99? Nevermind.

Matt

Your 1945 aircraft would have a natural metal cockpit so you're right on target. The Mikesh text is out of production and is very pricey if you're looking for a copy. I bought mine from Monogram Aviation Publishers back in the mid 90's when it was announced. I didn't actually receive the book until 98 or 99...it was a tough wait. I hold that book as if it were a bible...It has extremely rare and colorful information in it on just about any Japanese WWII aircraft ever made. The Ki-100 portion is downright decadent... ;)

FWIW, both My Ki-84's have been built with bare metal cockpits. I used nonbuffing aluminium metalizer and they came out extremely well (in my humble opinion).

Enjoy the build, the kit is phenomenal!

The reason why the Luftwaffe stuff is nailed down (pretty much) might be that the Germans kept reasonably detailed records. While the Japanese kept records too, I don't believe they were as thorough and kept as secure as German documents were. Japanese cities and factories were firebombed regularly vs. the majority of German cities and factories that were just blasted. Well, at least that's my theory. I don't base it on anything, it's just what I think.

Tim,

The Mikesh books are supposed to be awesome. Just out of the budget right now. Almost $300.00 U.S. online :) .

I kind of thought the instrument panel looked lighter than black in some of the photos I have seen. I tried out RLM70 on the panel as the cockpit will be kind of dark when closed up.

frank3007.jpg

frank3005.jpg

The contrast between the black instruments and the dark green panel looks ok to me. Just fiddling around with it.

The cockpit on this thing is pretty nice. I was a bit concerned about the molded detail but when you close it up I think it will look pretty good. I am going to add some wire and rod and dirty up a bare metal finish and thats about it. Hopefully have some more to post soon. Just stuck it together loose for a quick pic.

frank3008.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys!

Matt

J-Aircraft can be a bit cloudy at times, due to the fact that all the topics are so hottly debated. I also can never seem to find anything definitive. I have heard that the Nakajima color has ranged from a darker shade of interior green than the us, all the way to a bamboo color od some sort- I would say, paint it anyway you want, bare metal, green, or Aotake as you see fit. No one can tell you you are wrong. I have built two, one in Aotake, one in green.......

There are not enough left to be certain!

Good Luck-

THOR :rolleyes:

Thanks Erwin!

Tim, that cockpit looks great, pe sure looks cool. Nice touches with the aotake. I was thinking of some parts being in the phantom Nakajima interior color just to spice things up. I am stringing up some cables and such and am going to fix the rear bulkhead and scratch a seat. Then I have to make up some belts.

I agree Thor. J-aircraft is a bit murky. No definite explanations. Now I just have to pick an exterior scheme! Ha!

Matt

Got to do a little work on the cockpit this morning. The rear bulkhead had a big sheet of plastic in the center that served as a guide for the seat but should not be there. So I cut it off. I will probably cut the remaining piece off but am not sure it is supposed to be there or not.

frank4005.jpg

Added some wire and plastic rod to the throttle and other things. Also cut notches in the elevator trim wheel. The handle for what I assume is the canopy crank seemed too short also. So I made it longer.

frank4007.jpg

frank4006.jpg

The floor got a couple holes drilled in it to the left and right of the control column. I also added the cables for the rudder and some solder at the hub of the rudder pedal support. I think I need some straps for the pedals but am not sure.

frank4009.jpg

Other than that, I could not see much that will show when it gets closed up. I don't really see how anyone over 120 pounds could have fit in this cockpit.

Does anyone know if there was a canvas boot at the base of the control stick? It would seem logical but I don't know.

That's it for now. Bare metal soon...

Matt

Lookin mighty 'purdy' there Matt! Sorry I'm a day late on getting back to ya about those decals, been doing some major crash homework on Mr. Frank lately! :lol: I don't know how to get these into a PM, so I'll post these here for you to check out. Here's a scan of my deerections to show the Sentai markings included with my kit. Mine is going to be some 'special attack unit' (methinks a bunch of B-29 rammers?), so I won't be using any of these except the stencilling and meatballs.

post-4413-1236253879.jpg

Here's the box art. Even though it looks green, the color chart says all 3 camos are 'olive drab'. All my color profiles show all 3 of these schemes to be in a brown color? They all appear to be late-war schemes, which would dovetail into your desire to do a NMF type interior? Wait till you see the 'witches brew' of interior colors I have divined for my pit,...it promises to be an "eyes rolled back into yer head" pallette of weird grungy colors. I can see why it's so tough to figure out exactly what shades these really were. Fascinating stuff, eh?! PM inbound. Russ

post-4413-1236255162.jpg

Got to do a little work on the cockpit this morning. The rear bulkhead had a big sheet of plastic in the center that served as a guide for the seat but should not be there. So I cut it off. I will probably cut the remaining piece off but am not sure it is supposed to be there or not.

frank4005.jpg

Added some wire and plastic rod to the throttle and other things. Also cut notches in the elevator trim wheel. The handle for what I assume is the canopy crank seemed too short also. So I made it longer.

frank4007.jpg

frank4006.jpg

The floor got a couple holes drilled in it to the left and right of the control column. I also added the cables for the rudder and some solder at the hub of the rudder pedal support. I think I need some straps for the pedals but am not sure.

frank4009.jpg

Other than that, I could not see much that will show when it gets closed up. I don't really see how anyone over 120 pounds could have fit in this cockpit.

Does anyone know if there was a canvas boot at the base of the control stick? It would seem logical but I don't know.

That's it for now. Bare metal soon...

Matt

ahhh Matt, I think that sheet of plastic you removed "was" the armor plate behind the seat.

Hey Russ, I kinda like that option #3. I will send an email. Thanks!

Ummm, Tim, I think you might be right. It would make sense in hindsight that it was armor. I had a reference pic showing the interior view from the tail forward to the back of the seat and no plate. This was the plane evaluated by the U.S. after the war. They probably removed the plate. I read somewhere that the Japanese, for some crazy reason, decided to protect the pilot in this airplane. Hey it's just plastic. I can make a new one. :lol:

Dave, I think it's not stealing, it's learning from my mistakes !

Matt