Ki-61 Hien in progress shots.

Guest TimC

Got some in progress photos of my next project, a New Guniea based Ki-61-1 Koh. I'm planning on stock decals but may need to source fuselage hinomarus because the kit decals seem just a bit out of register. It may be my eye though... First shot is the left sidewall with some solder and copper wire thrown in for good measure.

post-264-1234727114.jpg

Third shot. I added some plastic tubing (rod actually) for the coolant and fuel lines and a slightly larger rod for the elevator linkage. I also thinned the pilot seat as it was just a tad on the thick side as it comes in the kit.

post-264-1234727384.jpg

Here's a final shot with the cockpit installed in the kit. Not a bad start but nowhere near Radu's Ki-61 cockpit detail. I might, at some point, order that cockpit separately and go for an all out super Ki....Oh well, that's it for today.

post-264-1234727648.jpg

Thanks for the kind words all.

UH, I looked again,Tim. ;) You, and Jeff both have great looking pits. How are you going to paint this?

Mike: The aircraft I'm modeling is one of the 61's based on New Guniea in 1943, 68th Sentai to be exact. The camo pattern is really just a hodgepodge of green, sprayed in random lines and splotches over the entire upper surfaces of the aircraft. The base coat is going to be NMF though.

At this point, the aircraft is assembled, seams filled and sanded where necessary and I'm giving it the once over with the Mk. I eyeball so that I can find any scratches/seams that didn't get addressed adequately the first time through. I'll prime it and recheck, then attempt :( (with emphasis added) to spray the NMF using Alclad (but not polished aluminum...).

No sense posting photos of a blob of plastic that hasn't gotten any redeeming qualities to it. I'll post some as I get the color coats on it and then some finals of the completed aircraft.

I love the Tony, Tim- I am working one one right now as well- My cat knocked over a bottle of tenax one the cockpit floor piece while it was laying on my bench, so I made a new one- I am getting ready to paint it right now.....

Please keep it up!

THOR ;)

• 2 weeks later...