Ki-61 Hien in progress shots.

Guest TimC

One more for tonight....an overall shot with the alclad sprayed on. Tomorrow or the next day I'll apply the black antiglare panel, yellow wing ID panels and the silver doped control surfaces. This one had too much completed to make the Empire of the Rising Sun GB but I have something else in store for that one. :)

post-264-1236131384.jpg

The NMF looks great! What shades did you use for the different panels?

The base shade is duraluminum. the different panels were done with white aluminum and dark aluminum and the main spar was done with dull aluminum.

Last one for tonight showing the ID band and anti-glare panel from in front and above. All that masking was a royal pain but the end result was well worth it. :) You may also notice the peeled alclad half way down the length of the anti-glare panel from the mask. :angry: Every time I use this stuff, some of it lifts from a mask. I've tried everything I can think of to prevent it from happening but to no avail. Well, at least I can cover it up with some camouflage green.

post-264-1236483071.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok, now that I've managed to get some more time to work....here's a few more shots of my Ki-61 with paint and decals. The green is a shade called Kawaski Green and is from the now defunct line of Aeromaster paints.

post-264-1239488256.jpg

One more showing the tail. The white band is painted on. Even though Hasegawa provides decals for the white band and the 68th Sentai markings, they do not fit well. I had problems getting the decals to lie straight on the model without any bends or arcs. In short, the kit decals on this one are horrible. This one now wears markings of the 78th Sentai on Wewak Island 1943, sans the tail markings which were not applied.

post-264-1239488715.jpg

Nice Tim.

I tend to paint things like tail bands as a matter of course these days. I never find decals a satisfactory solution. They either don't fit well, aren't opaque enough, or I botch the application.

Kev